[comp.sys.amiga.games] Best Joystick

icsrc110@Msu3.oscs.montana.edu (Jeff Brabant) (11/19/90)

I'm interested in what you guys think is the best joystick for the Amiga?
I have had a CBM for the past 10 years, and haven't found a joystick that
lasts for more than 6 months.  The one that I have know is the Wico that
is shaped like your hand, and that has lasted a while, but the contacts
are getting really thin becasue they are made of plastic.  Any good
joysticks out there for the Amiga?????
Thanks,

Jeff Brabant

****  o  Pirates all the way in '91 !!!!
****  o  Notre Dame rules!!!
****  o  Steelers will be there!!!
****  o  Mr. Robinson's neighborhood for World Champs!  Spurs!!

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (11/19/90)

icsrc110@Msu3.oscs.montana.edu (Jeff Brabant) writes:

>I'm interested in what you guys think is the best joystick for the Amiga?

This is a subject of some religious interest.  I, for example, find the
Epyx joystick, so beloved by many, to be unusable because my hands are
bigger than the joystick can comfortably accomodate.  Personally, I like
my Suncom TAC-2, which has given me problem free service for three years
now, and which fits my hand nicely (although not _ergonomically_ :-)
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

lassus@lut.fi (Henry Lassus) (11/19/90)

icsrc110@Msu3.oscs.montana.edu (Jeff Brabant) writes:

>I'm interested in what you guys think is the best joystick for the Amiga?
try Arcade turbo.

>I have had a CBM for the past 10 years, and haven't found a joystick that
>lasts for more than 6 months.  The one that I have know is the Wico that
>is shaped like your hand, and that has lasted a while, but the contacts
>are getting really thin becasue they are made of plastic.  Any good
>joysticks out there for the Amiga?????
Arcade turbo
I have used the same Arcade turbo for 4 years.
It still works.
Try Arcade turbo.

= Henry Lassus =  I'm going to figure out something       <<  Eizel  >>

etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors TX/DKI) (11/20/90)

HL> icsrc110@Msu3.oscs.montana.edu (Jeff Brabant) writes:

>I'm interested in what you guys think is the best joystick for the Amiga?
HL> try Arcade turbo.

HL>>I have had a CBM for the past 10 years, and haven't found a joystick that
HL>>lasts for more than 6 months.  The one that I have know is the Wico that
HL>>is shaped like your hand, and that has lasted a while, but the contacts
HL>>are getting really thin becasue they are made of plastic.  Any good
HL>>joysticks out there for the Amiga?????
HL> Arcade turbo
HL> I have used the same Arcade turbo for 4 years.
HL> It still works.
HL> Try Arcade turbo.

Oh no , here we go again. The choice of a joystick is almost a religious
question. You got your favourite and all other jojsticks is crap. You should
get a joystick that suits you best. I for instance wants a yoy  which needs
small movements, and has a short handle, so for me the TAC2 is the only
possible choice. But someone else could prefer a compleately different
joy. Ok the TAC2 is a good joystick. It has been choosen best joystick in
a big joystick test in one of sweedens biggest computer magazine for three
years in a row now.

--
!Thomas Grennefors               ! proud member off THHS krfc (tlps)
!Ericsson Telecom,Karlstad       ! Three shalt be the number thou shalt count..

lassus@lut.fi (Henry Lassus) (11/20/90)

etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors  TX/DKI) writes:

>Ok the TAC2 is a good joystick.
it's a good joystick but I'm still waiting TAC2+ with micro switch fire buttons

= Henry Lassus =  I'm going to figure out something       <<  Eizel  >>

Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/20/90)

bad example.... :-)

   The joystick that I think is really great is one called "The
Navigator" by an English company called Konix. You hold it in one hand
around a hand shaped base and the actual stick is on the top to be
amnipulated by the other hand. The stick is about three/four inches high
with a metal shaft.  It has a fire button on the base exactly where your
trigger finger sits.

   This may not describe it very well - this joystick is a little
different from others. Anyway, it's brilliant and my two have lasted for
over two years of hard gaming... :-)
--
Yes folks, here it is! The unofficial .sig for Sleeping Beagle!
mail tfarmer@actrix.co.nz   (I think)

(P.S. I live in a sane society. I don't NEED a disclaimer!)

tcb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tim Bennett) (11/20/90)

    Try a 'Zip Stick', They have a years guarntee.........

esucv@warwick.ac.uk (T M Marshall) (11/20/90)

In article <ETXTSG.90Nov19182802@solsta-c4.solsta.ericsson.se> etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors  TX/DKI) writes:

>Oh no , here we go again. The choice of a joystick is almost a religious
>question. You got your favourite and all other jojsticks is crap. You should
>get a joystick that suits you best. I for instance wants a yoy  which needs
>small movements, and has a short handle, so for me the TAC2 is the only
>possible choice. But someone else could prefer a compleately different
>joy. Ok the TAC2 is a good joystick. It has been choosen best joystick in
>a big joystick test in one of sweedens biggest computer magazine for three
>years in a row now.

I had a TAC2 about 5 years ago and it snapped!!!

I've now got 2 Competition Pro 5000's and they are fine.

---Tony---

hollnbgh@coral.bucknell.edu (11/21/90)

Has anyone ever tried the Gravis Joystick?  It has three fire buttons.
Each of these fire buttons can be set for: normal fire, rapid fire
(at 34 Hz), and continuous forward motion, and continuous backward motion
(like holding the joystick forward or back, not really all that useful).
It has a soft grip (foam rubber), and the tension is adjustable by a
large wheel on the bottom.  you can turn this wheel to make the jostick
feel like an IBM analog, or you can make it feel very stiff like an Atari
joystick.  It is kind of expensive - $35.00, but if you really like it,
it is worth the price.  Gravis makes three versions: Digital (Amiga,etc.),
Analog (IBM, etc.), and Nintendo.

I borrowed this joystick from my friend, and I really like it.  It single-
handedly improved my Xenon II score because of the Rapid fire speed (my
rapid fire is only 17 Hz).  I adjust it relatively tight, because I have
used Atari joysticks for about 10 years now.  After using a joystick for
so many years, it is hard to impress me, but the Gravis did.

Dale Hollenbaugh
hollnbgh@coral.bucknell.edu

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (11/21/90)

  For a while I have been using two Slik Stiks by Suncom. At $6 a piece,
they are the best I have ever bought (even better than the $2 Coleco sticks
that I bought at Radio Shack). :)
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men

maupr@warwick.ac.uk (Mr. L.F. Warren) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.004238.343@actrix.co.nz> Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:

>   The joystick that I think is really great is one called "The
>Navigator" by an English company called Konix. You hold it in one hand
.
.
>   This may not describe it very well - this joystick is a little
>different from others. Anyway, it's brilliant and my two have lasted for
>over two years of hard gaming... :-)

        I've got a Navigator but I found that it was hard at getting
diagonals, otherwise it's very good except for the fire button (mine broke-
the plastic split, it's now held by superglue and a lot of praying).

        A good joystick is the Cruiser,(I don't know who by) but after a year
of use it sometimes doesn't respond to 'down' (no idea why!).  i have two
competition pro 500, clear (non-autofire, non-microswitch fire) and a
glo-green (autofire, slo-motion & microswitch fire) now.  Don't waste your
time with a non-microswitch firebutton joystick, their not responsive enough.

                        Leigh..

ovb10@cs.kun.nl (Patrick Atoon) (11/22/90)

esucv@warwick.ac.uk (T M Marshall) writes:

>In article <ETXTSG.90Nov19182802@solsta-c4.solsta.ericsson.se> etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors  TX/DKI) writes:
>>
>>Oh no , here we go again. The choice of a joystick is almost a religious
>>question. You got your favourite and all other jojsticks is crap. You should
>>get a joystick that suits you best. I for instance wants a yoy  which needs
>>small movements, and has a short handle, so for me the TAC2 is the only
>>possible choice. But someone else could prefer a compleately different
>>joy. Ok the TAC2 is a good joystick. It has been choosen best joystick in
>>a big joystick test in one of sweedens biggest computer magazine for three
>>years in a row now.

>I had a TAC2 about 5 years ago and it snapped!!!

>I've now got 2 Competition Pro 5000's and they are fine.

>---Tony---

I don't know whether these are sold in the US, but here in Holland, I use
the ARCADE. It is a one button joystick, which is really indestructible.
Totally micro-switched. A friend tells me it resembles the Competition Pro
(Only one instead of two buttons). It is also exactly the same as the ones
you will find on real arcade games.

I'm using this joystick for almost five years, including the years on the
'64 (remember DECATHLON???.... It still works after lotsa games of it).

           Patrick

| Patrick Atoon           |  "READY.                  |
| University of Nijmegen  |   ?OUT OF DATA ERROR."    |
| E-mail: ovb10@cs.kun.nl |                      C=64 |
+-------------------------+---------------------------+

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (11/22/90)

     I bought the Gravis digital joystick, and I'm also impressed.  This fellow
is actually user configurable!  Rapid fire or normal fire for all three buttons
(top of stick, two to the left of stick), or you can have the button emulate
pushing the stick up or pulling it back.  What use is this, you ask?  Well,
simple.  For those games (Like BEAST II) where jumping/ducking is needed
quickly, configure the top button for joy up and the bottom one for joy down
and voila!  Jump and duck buttons.  Nice joystick, and the adjustable feel
is wonderful!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "It's so neat to |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | see an AMIGA say |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |   "Welcome to    |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   Macintosh""    |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  | ---- AMIGA ----  |

drewid@brahms.udel.edu (Andrew G. Dehel) (11/22/90)

    I personally love The Boss Joystick.  I have had mine since the
good old days of the 64!!!  A good 6 years of wear and tear!!  And they
still work ok.  Although every once in a while I have to clean the
contacts.  I don't know if they even still make them.  I haven't tried
to buy a joystick in years!  But maybe today, when I return a really
sorry game I just bought.
    I also like the Epyx 500 joystick.  But they do seem to be something
one either loves or hates.  It comes with a five year warranty, though.

					Drew

terminal@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Bernard Leach) (11/23/90)

>I'm interested in what you guys think is the best joystick for the Amiga?
>I have had a CBM for the past 10 years, and haven't found a joystick that
>lasts for more than 6 months.  The one that I have know is the Wico that
>is shaped like your hand, and that has lasted a while, but the contacts
>are getting really thin becasue they are made of plastic.  Any good
>joysticks out there for the Amiga?????
>Thanks,

Well I've had the old Amiga for the last four years and have had the same
joystick.. Its a speed king and although has taken quite some beating is
still going stong. It is however missing the top centimetre of stick, busted
off during a furious game  of speedball!

Full of micro-switches and a steel stick its held up quite well i think!

bernard.

static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (geoff c wing) (11/23/90)

>I'm interested in what you guys think is the best joystick for the Amiga?
>I have had a CBM for the past 10 years, and haven't found a joystick that
>lasts for more than 6 months.  The one that I have know is the Wico that
>is shaped like your hand, and that has lasted a while, but the contacts
>are getting really thin becasue they are made of plastic.  Any good
>joysticks out there for the Amiga?????
>Thanks,

Wico joysticks are the best. They have a steel shaft. Wico joysticks were often
used in arcade game machines. Even if the micros wear out(I've had a Wico for 5
or 6 years and they haven't yet), you can easily buy some more for a couple of
dollars, since they are standard microswitches and extremely easy to replace.

--
	+---------------------------------+       _  _ _ _  __
	|	     Geoff		//|   /\  |\/|  |  / _   /\
	| static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au \X/ |  //\\ |  | _|_ \__| //\\
	+---------------------------------+

Dave@avignon.gbdt.oz (Dave Moore) (11/24/90)

Well, the only joystick I've ever found really useable is the Komix Speedking.
(I think it's released under a few other names as well)

I've had two of these for a few years now, and the only problem encountered is
that one of them has started "sticking" on the diagonals  (though I'm willing
to bet a good clean would fix that).  This joystick is molded to fit in your
left hand and is TOTALLY microswitched.

Down side?  Ok, if your a left hander (as I am) the molded case isn't as good
to hold, and straight out of the box they are difficult to get diagonals on.
However after a bit of "breaking in" this problem goes away.  Oh yeah, single
button and no autofire <sigh>.

Just my $0.02 worth ($0.016 if I remember the exchange rate :-)

	Dave.

	Dave Moore              |
 EMail: Dave@avignon.gbdt.oz    |My other computer is a PDP-8E.
  Disclaimer: Of course these are my opinions, whose else should I post?