[comp.sys.amiga.games] Harpoon time bug ???

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (11/23/90)

Hi all .. I own a copy of the game Harpoon and live it! (I had the IBM
version as well....)

But I seem to have noticed a bug ... the time compression stuff...

A random intervals, a change in thne time compression value will cause the
game to seem to lock up ... If I play wth the value it will un-freeze ...

Anyone else notice this ?>???

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
=       "Without you, I am not worth a scent." - Pepe LePeu               =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.          =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (11/25/90)

In article <274cac78-2f5comp.sys.amiga.games@tronsbox.xei.com> tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) writes:

>Hi all .. I own a copy of the game Harpoon and live it! (I had the IBM
>version as well....)
>

>But I seem to have noticed a bug ... the time compression stuff...
>
>A random intervals, a change in thne time compression value will cause the
>game to seem to lock up ... If I play wth the value it will un-freeze ...
>

>Anyone else notice this ?>???
>
>=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================

A couple of notes on time compression --

1) I had this happen to me once and could not get out of it. What exactly did
you do to unfreeze it?

2) Sometimes (especially with very high ratios, say >1 min) there is a long
delay between updates (well, for those of us with only Chip mem and 68000's).
This seems to be due to the fact that searches occur every 30 secs, and they
take a while, so while there is only one search routine in a 30 sec time
slice, there are 10 in a 5 minute time slice. This can lead to delays of
several seconds (I've seen as high as around 30) between screen updates. Man,
I want a 68040 Amiga 3000 for this game -- it would have to be IMPRESSIVE!!

3) Anybody else note that when you change time compression from the menu, the
value in the Unit Window doesn't change?

GREAT GAME, Three-Sixty!

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!
-- IRAQNOPHOBIA: Nothing a little RAID wouldn't cure!