[comp.sys.amiga.games] Epyx 500 XJ joystick

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (11/19/90)

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>However, diagonals are next to impossible with the EPYX joystick! I could
>not get anywhere in turrican with it. When I switched to a cheap SUNCOM
>joystick, it made all the difference in the world!
>
>It may be just my technique (or lack of it :-), but I just can't seem to get
>the hang of diagonals with the "better" EPYX joystick. Your milage
>may very! :-)

No, it's not your technique. I couldn't get diagonals to work on the 500 XJ
either, so I too switched to cheap Suncom joysticks.

>      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david

Stephen Scheck

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!steves
ARPA: crash!pnet01!steves@nosc.mil
INET: steves@pnet01.cts.com

ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) (11/19/90)

	I've been using two Kraft joysticks for about seven or eight years now.
 They may not offer many features, but I've always found them very
responsive and easy to use.  Diagonals are a cinch.  And if you ever
felt like playing Pac-Man, you could switch them to four-way only.
That's the only "outstanding" feature, other than its very low price and
high durability.

"Crazy" Larry Silverman
ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (11/19/90)

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:

>david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>However, diagonals are next to impossible with the EPYX joystick! I could
>>not get anywhere in turrican with it. When I switched to a cheap SUNCOM
>>joystick, it made all the difference in the world!
>>
>>It may be just my technique (or lack of it :-), but I just can't seem to get
>>the hang of diagonals with the "better" EPYX joystick. Your milage
>>may very! :-)

>No, it's not your technique. I couldn't get diagonals to work on the 500 XJ
>either, so I too switched to cheap Suncom joysticks.

>>      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david

>Stephen Scheck

>UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!steves
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!steves@nosc.mil
>INET: steves@pnet01.cts.com

	(Screw, dude!)^2

I have two EPYX 500XJ's, one with second button and autofire, and one without.
They both give me VERY good diagonals!!!

How could I have finished Turrican without diagonals ?

I'm the leaping maniac! You know all those platforms, one right on top of
the other ? I *excel* at those, beating the socks off everyone else I know who's
played Turrican!

I can't speak for Suncom, never having used them, but EPYX 500XJ's do it ALL!!!

What's your problem, d00ds ?

Anyways, Pax,

Wayne

spenser@sugar.hackercorp.com (Spenser Aden) (11/20/90)

In article <5712@crash.cts.com| steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:
|david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
|>However, diagonals are next to impossible with the EPYX joystick! I could
|>not get anywhere in turrican with it. When I switched to a cheap SUNCOM
|>joystick, it made all the difference in the world!
|>
|>It may be just my technique (or lack of it :-), but I just can't seem to get
|>the hang of diagonals with the "better" EPYX joystick. Your milage
|>may very! :-)
|
|No, it's not your technique. I couldn't get diagonals to work on the 500 XJ
|either, so I too switched to cheap Suncom joysticks.
|
|>      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
|
|Stephen Scheck

I've had no problem whatsoever with my 500 XJ at all.  In fact, I really like
the styling of it.  Quite easy to manipulate.

-Spenser

S. Spenser Aden       (713) 483-2028  |"Flame throwers, go stick your heads
NASA - Johnson Space Center, Houston  | in a blast furnace." - Markus Wandel
spenser@sugar.hackercorp.com   (UUCP) +----------------------------------------
aden@9237.dnet.nasa.gov    (Internet) | Only my cats' opinions found herein.

kenward@fornax.UUCP (Kenward Chin) (11/20/90)

With all the the talk about joysticks, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned
the Gravis Joystick.  I have had one since I bought my Amiga, but don't use
it all that much.  How do you all feel it compares to the other "major"
brands of joystick?

Kenward Chin
--
Disclaimer: Since transmission of this article is by imperfect methods, there
	    may well be discrepancies between what is above and what was

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (11/27/90)

ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) writes:
<
< 	I've been using two Kraft joysticks for about seven or eight years now.
<  They may not offer many features, but I've always found them very
< responsive and easy to use.  Diagonals are a cinch.  And if you ever
< felt like playing Pac-Man, you could switch them to four-way only.
< That's the only "outstanding" feature, other than its very low price and
< high durability.

While the 8/4 way switch is nice, these joysticks should not be considered
durable.  One session of Batman (The movie version), and I was able to
snap the wimpy plastic stick right of the base.

If you are easy on joysticks (I am not), this may be a good, low-priced
alternative for you.  Otherwise, steer clear of Kraft.

(I still keep my one remaining Kraft around for the kids to use on
some maze-style games such as 'Drip', since it DOES have that switch.)

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |        ///
cseaman@gateway.sequent.com <or>  |       ///        Make up your own

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (11/27/90)

In article <8bFqC7q00awS8=tkYw@andrew.cmu.edu> ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) writes:

>	I've been using two Kraft joysticks for about seven or eight years now.
> They may not offer many features, but I've always found them very
>responsive and easy to use.  Diagonals are a cinch.  And if you ever
>felt like playing Pac-Man, you could switch them to four-way only.
>That's the only "outstanding" feature, other than its very low price and
>high durability.

Does anyone know if these joysticks are available anymore, and if so, where
can I buy them? Mail-order please, since it is quite a drive from Sweden,
wherever I need to go!

I had one of these some years ago (Like _before_ the C64.) connected to my
Nascom, and it is without a doubt the best joystick I have ever used.
(Apart from a homebuilt unit, based on a 650$ industrial stick that I
modified.)

I haven't seen them advertised since something like 1985, so if anyone
knows a source for them I would be very grateful.

Best Regards, Peter Hjalmarsson
...{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax|cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar

...(