[comp.sys.amiga.games] Joysticks & Turrican

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (11/18/90)

In article <8998@mirsa.inria.fr>, Michel Buffa writes:

> In article <424@tlvx.UUCP>, sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) writes:
>
> > I do seem to have a couple of problems with it (these may be my own problems,
> > not the game's).  Sometimes I have trouble jumping; I'm not sure why, but it
> > has something to do with my desire to run then jump by rotating the
> joystick.
> I never had any problems for jumping. Just move the joystick up or up-left, or
> up-right without keeping the fire button pressed. You can fire your weapons,
> but if you keep the button pressed, you activate the rotating laser, and when
> the rotating laser is on, you can't move if you don't release the fire button.
> The control of your character in this game is one of the best I ever seen. You
> can even control your jumps while you are in the air (like in Mario Bros)

I have found that you need a joystick that does "diagonals" well. I normally
use an EPYX JX-500 (or some such number). It holds in your hand, and uses
microswitches instead of the "ball & metal plate" bit used by the
el-cheapo joysticks.

However, diagonals are next to impossible with the EPYX joystick! I could
not get anywhere in turrican with it. When I switched to a cheap SUNCOM
joystick, it made all the difference in the world!

It may be just my technique (or lack of it :-), but I just can't seem to get
the hang of diagonals with the "better" EPYX joystick. Your milage
may very! :-)

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (11/18/90)

I played the game with both a Wico Ergostick and a Genesis Joypad. The nice
thing about using a Genesis Joypad with Turrican is a second fire button is
supported (normally the "flash" activated by the space bar). It takes a
little getting used to, but I really like it now. If you want to use a
joypad on your amiga, it's the one to get.

As an aside about the Wico ErgoStick, it's one of the few truly "user
servicable" joysticks I've seen. It uses normal, garden variety
microswitches, available at any Radio Shack. The switch actuators (the
little plastic nub that contacts the shaft) wear out after awhile, but they
are easy enough to replace. Generally, a nice design.

--hal
--
hgm@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu	"..now that Mac way of doing things has taken hold,
netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet   will we ever be able to get rid of it?"

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (11/18/90)

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) writes:

>I played the game with both a Wico Ergostick and a Genesis Joypad. The nice
>thing about using a Genesis Joypad with Turrican is a second fire button is
>supported (normally the "flash" activated by the space bar). It takes a
>little getting used to, but I really like it now. If you want to use a
>joypad on your amiga, it's the one to get.

Screw, d00d!

	EPYX 500XJ joysticks are THE only way to go!
Under the plastic outside is a STEEL, not PLASTIC, rod!!!
The most recent vesion has the second button, and even happens to be
compatible with Sega, as well as Commodore, Amiga, And Atari.

	EPYX, however, has had some financial problems, and is more likely
to concentrate on the new/recent Lynx hand-held color system.

	Go to Toys `R` Us or Kay-Bee's or something similar and find it!
make sure you open it in-store first, though! When I got my first one,
I got it for the better control and durability as compared to the shitty
Atari joysticks I usually got. Then I found EPYX was going bye-bye and
decided to get another before they were gone! Lo and behold, It had a
second button AND autofire!!!!! Autofire is AWESOME!!! Do you know how
easy Turrican is with autofire ? Imagine spread-shot or the top-power
straight laser on autofire!!!! It's just as good as the electric beam in
most cases. (the e-beam can go any direction unlike the laser)

Some warnings with autofire: the second button is useless, thus you can't
turn into the gyroscope (the spinning wheel or "Mr. Invulnerable" as we
call it), or do the energy walls, electric-beam, etc. It means you have this
choice:

	Take awesome firepower under autofire, and stay close to the keyboard,
Or:
	Be prepared to move the joystick switch (convieniently located between
you and the stick, if you were looking at it from the angle of holding it
in your hand) when you want to use the e-beam, etc.

I did the second option and that's how I finished the game. I suppose I ought
to play a full game without autofire, though. Everything is just so much
fodder with it, there isn't too much of a challenge except for worlds 4 and
5.

So: get an Epyx 500XJ (with autofire) if you can find it! The apple II(GS)/IBM
version might even still be out there. I doubt it though, because they just
aren't the game computers, and software/hardware stores always had more of
the Commodore/Atari types.

Anyways, Pax,

Wayne.

tj@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov18.045643.22811@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) writes:
>>As an aside about the Wico ErgoStick, it's one of the few truly "user
>>servicable" joysticks I've seen. It uses normal, garden variety
>>microswitches, available at any Radio Shack. The switch actuators (the
>>little plastic nub that contacts the shaft) wear out after awhile, but they
>>are easy enough to replace. Generally, a nice design.

	The problem with the ErgoStick is that it is difficult to
swing the stick from a straight position to one of the diagonals.  The
stick appears to get stuck on something inside the unit.  I also found
that after a few intense hours of playing Emerald Mine I had to open
the unit up and put white grease on the internals.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

dw3w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Database Work) (11/20/90)

Re: Turrican Jotysticks

I bought a Tac-50 that was made for the genesis to play Turrican.  It is an
excellent joystick, supporting 2 buttons, with the button on the top controlling
the 'speread' super-thing.  I dubbed it the panic button.  It oddoesn't support
autofire, but I hardly thik it is necessary.  I would highly suggest it to
anyone who wants a joystick that will last long into the future.

Now if an analog joystick would make its way out...

Ryan NEwman
dw3w@andrew.cmu.edu

tj@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:

>In article <1990Nov18.045643.22811@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) writes:
>>>As an aside about the Wico ErgoStick, it's one of the few truly "user
>>>servicable" joysticks I've seen. It uses normal, garden variety

>	The problem with the ErgoStick is that it is difficult to
>swing the stick from a straight position to one of the diagonals.  The
>stick appears to get stuck on something inside the unit.  I also found
>that after a few intense hours of playing Emerald Mine I had to open
>the unit up and put white grease on the internals.

I didn't like the ergo stick for several reasons. The main one being that
I am left handed and I despise companies that don't take into consideration
all us lefties out here :-)

But the action seemed too stiff. especially the fire button. My finger got tired
after using one of them for around an hour. and it's difficult to press the
fire button rapidly for very long also.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,