[comp.sys.amiga.games] Hint for starglider 2???

doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) (11/17/90)

Can someone give me a hint for Starglider 2? Basically everything in
the game has seemed very straightforward, none of that "we're out to get you
by setting you impossible illogical puzzles"; I've explored everywhere,
and got the neutron bomb.

But I can't use it, apparently because I haven't found the Energy Cube
Launcher. But I've looked everywhere, where can it be???

Thanks,
	Doug
	Doug Merritt		doug@eris.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!eris!doug)
			or	uunet.uu.net!crossck!dougm

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.171935.29076@agate.berkeley.edu>, doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) writes:
> Can someone give me a hint for Starglider 2? Basically everything in
> the game has seemed very straightforward, none of that "we're out to get you
> by setting you impossible illogical puzzles"; I've explored everywhere,
> and got the neutron bomb.
>
> But I can't use it, apparently because I haven't found the Energy Cube
> Launcher. But I've looked everywhere, where can it be???
>
> Thanks,
> 	Doug
> 	Doug Merritt		doug@eris.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!eris!doug)
> 			or	uunet.uu.net!crossck!dougm

The (Space Station?) your looking for is out on outer fringes of the
solar system.  Its close by the outermost planet.  Out there you will
see what appears to a planet but you can pass through (an illusion).
Its very close nearby here.  It takes a little searching but you'll
find it.  When you do, nuke it and engage the stardrive and get
the hell out!

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) (11/19/90)

In article <26979.2744284e@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>The (Space Station?) your looking for is out on outer fringes of the
>solar system.  Its close by the outermost planet.  Out there you will
>see what appears to a planet but you can pass through (an illusion).
>Its very close nearby here.  It takes a little searching but you'll
>find it.  When you do, nuke it and engage the stardrive and get
>the hell out!

Thanks for trying to help, but that's not the problem. I had already
tried that, but the neutron bomb won't launch.

I was assuming that I needed the energy cubes for knocking out various
defenses when I first posted; now I hear that I can do it with just the
regular rockets & bouncing bombs, so I'll try that next (and perhaps win?)

But now I'm obsessed with locating those d*mn energy cubes, even if
you don't *have* to have them. I put in all this time looking for them,
it'd be really nice to find them! I've grabbed Emma-2's lots of times
but no energy cubes as yet. Sigh.
	Doug
	Doug Merritt		doug@eris.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!eris!doug)
			or	uunet.uu.net!crossck!dougm

J56QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (11/19/90)

Ok..everybody out in net land.here is the ultimate cheat in starglider 2 when t
e games starts .. make sure that the cross hair sight is ON... then press the
 DEL key ...next type this :  WERE ON A MISSION FROM GOD 1 K  : you will have e
ery weapon possible.. and to replenish your wewapons type K .... happy hunting!
:)

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.030639.15904@agate.berkeley.edu> doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) writes:
>>find it.  When you do, nuke it and engage the stardrive and get
>>the hell out!

Actually, you better ALREADY be in Stardrive mode or you won't get far
enough away before it blows.  Just be screaming toward it, fire when you
get the chance, and KEEP GOING - don't even take the time to turn around.

>Thanks for trying to help, but that's not the problem. I had already
>tried that, but the neutron bomb won't launch.

It won't launch if you haven't destroyed all the little sentinel thingamabobs.
But it says this in the info window.  You need the missiles to kill the
sattelites off, BTW.

>I was assuming that I needed the energy cubes for knocking out various
>defenses when I first posted; now I hear that I can do it with just the
>regular rockets & bouncing bombs, so I'll try that next (and perhaps win?)

The missiles are more powerful than the Energy Cubes.  The bombs are more
powerful than the missiles, even.  The Time cubes (as they are more accurately
called) are just a more powerful rapid-fire weapon to replace your wimpy
default lasers.

Anyway, I used to have an IFF diagram of the whole solar system with tons of
hints on where everything was, but it's buried somewhere in my files.  You
must pick up an Emma2 on a certain, specific moon of Milliway.  Any on the
correct moon will do, and I suspect that it has to be the first one in the
game you pick up.

Anyway, now for my question - by using the cheat mode I got everything in the
game and then sat waiting for them to complete the Space Station.  They
finally put all the pieces together (it took almost an hour!) but I kinda
expected something to happen once it was finished.  So I waited a while
longer, but nothing - so, I nuked the station.  They just started building
it again.  What is supposed to happen when you finish the game?  How do
you finish the game?  Does the game simply not end in cheat mode?  Do you
have to go through it all by hand to get something out of the end?  I don't
have that kind of free time any more!

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (11/20/90)

Some nifty stuff to try:

- Turn on the cheat mode, then stardrive right out of the
solar system. The planets will all disappear behind you...
and then re-appear in front of you, with the difference that
none of them can be landed on. As well, some odd objects
will be seen drifting through space.

- Fly into a tunnel. Get the rear external view. Now hit the
'zoom out' key... and you can look at the tunnels from the
OUTSIDE. Steering can be kind of challenging from this angle, though.

- Beam up space whales and deposit them on the planet's surface,
in tunnels, etc...

- Beam up various Egron aircraft, buildings, and cars and carry
them into space. If you shoot down an aircraft in open space,
you'll crash the game and force it to start over.

Anyone else have favorite Starglider II tricks?

/Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu\
|DISCLAIMER? You've GOT to be kidding, right?           ||   // AMIGA   ||  |
|   "Haven't they heard we won the war?                 || \X/  Power   ||  |
\== "What do they keep on fighting for?" -- B. Joel, LENINGRAD =============/

jlange@oracle.com (Jim Lange) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov16.171935.29076@agate.berkeley.edu> doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) writes:

   I...got the neutron bomb.

   But I can't use it, apparently because I haven't found the Energy Cube
   Launcher. But I've looked everywhere, where can it be???

You don't need the Energy Cube Launcher.  However, you get it when you pick up
the nuclear physicist (Dr. Taymer?--it's been a while since I've played) and
then GO BACK to the base on the moon where he lives.  Remember when you first
visit and they say he has something for you?  Once you find him, you must bring
him back to his lab so he can install the Cube Launcher.  Since you've already
delivered him to the scientists who are building the bomb, you are out of luck
(unless, of course, you want to start over).  The cube launcher was a letdown
for me; it's like a super-laser, twice as powerful, but also using twice the
energy!  From the description in the book, I was expecting everything in view
to explode as it crashed into its time-delayed self.

If you've delivered everything the scientists need (they may tell you they have
made the bomb before it is ready), including the good doctor, AND you have
destroyed the sentries protecting the station AND the reflectors are out of
commission AND you are using the foreslung (sp?) AND selected the neutron bomb
weapon.......you should have no problem.

Starglider II is my all-time favorite game, although there are a few things I
would improve (trading items for other items or repairs at the moon bases
seemed pointless), and the ending was anti-climactic.  I still like playing
once in a while just to explore and see what I can do (like capturing a space
whale and releasing it on Vulcan, or destroying _everything_ on the surface of
a planet--just to see if I can).

Good Luck!

Jim Lange
Oracle Corporation

P.S. Has anyone ever seen a Space Ray (other than in the object preview)?

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (11/24/90)

In article <90324.100538MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>- Turn on the cheat mode, then stardrive right out of the
>solar system. The planets will all disappear behind you...
>and then re-appear in front of you, with the difference that
>none of them can be landed on. As well, some odd objects
>will be seen drifting through space.

I did this long ago but didn't try to land on anything.  So I tried again
tonight, and sure enough, you're right.  The "odd objects" are indeed odd -
I tractored one of them and the computer identified it as (get this) "Heap
of old junk"!  It didn't look like anything in particular.  There are also
proximity mines and rods of some kind which you can't get a lock on but can
crash into.

>- Fly into a tunnel. Get the rear external view. Now hit the
>'zoom out' key... and you can look at the tunnels from the
>OUTSIDE. Steering can be kind of challenging from this angle, though.

Not sure what you mean by this - there is no zoom out key.  At least, it
doesn't work, and yes I did buy the game and am working from the original
disk.  Another thing which has never worked for me is the Rotate Object
in Tractor buttons.  Does this work for other people?

>- Beam up space whales and deposit them on the planet's surface,
>in tunnels, etc...

This is just mean...

>- Beam up various Egron aircraft, buildings, and cars and carry
>them into space. If you shoot down an aircraft in open space,
>you'll crash the game and force it to start over.

This was the most interesting bit - I tried it, and the status line reported
"Time Warp A" and an error number, then "Hit Any Key" and some random  (but
ordinary) messages thereafter, all the while the screen was going nuts.
Hitting a key resulted in a nifty fadeup to the initial configuration and
view, on Apogee.  Note that one of the few aircraft you can pick up on the
planet is the Large Troop Transport.

I sometimes have a little fun picking up those speedy little Emma 2s and
letting them out in space - they slow down but still drive about.  However,
more fun can be had flying around inside the sun or Milliway in cheat mode.
This is the only place I've come across the Space Rays.  I've also found the
"Large Bird" lurking in the sun.

Has anyone managed to grab on to the little boxes the sky trucks drop when
you shoot them?  I've never been able to catch 'em before they hit the
ground.

Some more fun things to try - tractor on to a stationary object, then turn
away and begin to apply thrust - hit M - apply some more thrust to balance -
hit M - pretty soon, you're flying at full thrust just to keep from being
pulled into the object.  If you grab onto a dome, and you cut off the thrust
or hit M once too often you can end up inside, where you are destroyed.  It
is also possible to have things tow you around with careful use of the M
key.    Has anyone ever tried picking up Bouncing Bombs after you've released
them?

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

(does anyone know where to find the Icarus pilot couch, besides the obvious
place?  I've found a repair depot that offers to trade a case of Nuclear
Fuel for it...)
--

doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) (11/27/90)

In article <JLANGE.90Nov20135404@ap1seq.oracle.com> jlange@oracle.com (Jim Lange) writes:

>P.S. Has anyone ever seen a Space Ray (other than in the object preview)?

Yes; they're in interstellar space, where you usually find the odd space
whale. But in a different compass direction; go "left" relative to the
gas giant at the start of the game (whatever compass point that is).

>visit and they say he has something for you?  Once you find him, you must bring
>him back to his lab so he can install the Cube Launcher.

I've done that but gotten no cube launcher. I notice a possible correlation,
though...once, and only once, his lab told me where he was. This was when
I was first getting the hang of the game. Ever since then, it hasn't said
anything so helpful; they don't say where he is. Maybe that's (somehow)
why he doesn't give me a cube launcher when I take him back to his lab/depot?

But I don't know what I've been doing differently; any ideas?

>made the bomb before it is ready), including the good doctor, AND you have
>destroyed the sentries protecting the station AND the reflectors are out of
>commission AND you are using the foreslung (sp?) AND selected the neutron bomb

I don't know what a "foreslung" by any spelling is; I'll try the rest of
that once more.

Thanks for the comments.

In article <1990Nov24.105718.21833@isis.cs.du.edu> bscott@isis.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

>"Heap of old junk"!  It didn't look like anything in particular.  There are
>also proximity mines and rods of some kind which you can't get a lock on but
>can crash into.

Those are out there in regular play mode, too, not just in cheat mode.
I still can't recall the compass directions, but relative to flying toward
the gas giant, this junk is to the left, and to the rear in "interstellar"
space. Space rays to the left, and of course whales and egrons straight
ahead.

>disk.  Another thing which has never worked for me is the Rotate Object
>in Tractor buttons.  Does this work for other people?

Doesn't work for me either.

>>- Beam up space whales and deposit them on the planet's surface,
>>in tunnels, etc...
>
>This is just mean...

Ah, but at least they don't blow up when you release the tractor beam,
unlike so many other objects.

>(does anyone know where to find the Icarus pilot couch, besides the obvious
>place?  I've found a repair depot that offers to trade a case of Nuclear
>Fuel for it...)

***SPOILER***
Do you mean that the depot is the "obvious place"?? Anyway, besides the
depot, it can be found on Aldos. Flat diamonds can be found on Vista, which
took me a very long time to notice. Any objects the depots will trade for
can be found somewhere else.

jlange@oracle.com (Jim Lange) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov26.182650.16688@agate.berkeley.edu> doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) writes:

   >disk.  Another thing which has never worked for me is the Rotate Object
   >in Tractor buttons.  Does this work for other people?

   Doesn't work for me either.

I have used it successfully.  Try it on an object that is not already moving
like a petrified tree or an Egron Mini-Rocket.

   Ah, but at least they don't blow up when you release the tractor beam,
   unlike so many other objects.

I had [what I thought was] a great idea to carry spare asteroids to use for
refuelling in deep space.  Unfortunately, after being jetisoned, they blow up
immediately when tractored--even though quite stable when initial collected.

   >(does anyone know where to find the Icarus pilot couch, besides the obvious
   >place?  I've found a repair depot that offers to trade a case of Nuclear
   >Fuel for it...)

   ***SPOILER***
   Do you mean that the depot is the "obvious place"?? Anyway, besides the
   depot, it can be found on Aldos.

The only place I've seen the pilot couch is after the Icarus blows up, but it
is not listed in inventory so cannot be traded (unless you self destruct while
in the depot--haven't tried that).  Nuclear fuel is also jetisoned by the blue
and grey pirate ships when destroyed, but move away very quickly.  To tractor
it you must chase it and carefully match its speed.

Jim Lange
Oracle Corporation