[comp.sys.amiga.games] Ultima V is out for Amiga!

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (11/08/90)

Yes, it's true; Ultima V is finally available for the Amiga. This is great
new for us Ultima fans! A word of warning though before you buy it:

- Copy protected
- Not hard disk installable (does not use AmigaDOS)
- Takes over the system (completely)
- Only uses 512K RAM (no more)
- Only uses one floppy drive (the game is two disks). Requires swapping.

Ick. However if you can live with all of the above, it's...well, Ultima. :-)
Note: I don't have it yet myself (above info from other people), so don't
bother asking questions about it (yet). I might post a mini-review if someone
doesn't beat me to it (which is likely, since I have very little free time :-))

-- Dan Babcock

kadoi@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jeff Yasumoto) (11/08/90)

Actually, it'll be hard to understand why Origin System's went the route of
copy protecting the game, and not making it HD-installable.  I also don't
think the game can be quite that small, considering how large it is for the
other plateforms and such.  Talking to Richard Garriot(sp?) during the
summer CES (which was held here in chicago) I learned that if anything, it
should be HD-installable, and rather a *big* game for what it is.  One thing
is for sure, he did mention that Ultima VI won't be copy protected for the
Amiga because of all the graphics involved (this information is based upon
a discussion with Mr G., at Summer CES.  Things might've changed since then)

gt0655b@prism.gatech.EDU (HAARBAUER) (11/08/90)

In article <914@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> kadoi@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jeff Yasumoto / Richard M. Kadoi) writes:
>Talking to Richard Garriot(sp?) during the
>summer CES (which was held here in chicago) I learned that if anything, it
>should be HD-installable, and rather a *big* game for what it is.  One thing
>is for sure, he did mention that Ultima VI won't be copy protected....

What else did he say about Amiga versions?  Did he mention how the graphics
would compare to IBM VGA?

Speaking of Amiga Ultimas, does anyone know about Ultima Trilogy for Amiga?
Even though I've played and won all 3 (or four if you count the original
Ultima) on Apple, I'd buy Amiga version as soon as I saw them advertised!
(Do I sound like an addict or what?  Ultima II was the genesis of my love
for computers.  I still don't think it's been topped for atmosphere....)

--
HAARBAUER,ERIC STOWE                 "Consciousness is an accident."
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30655, Atlanta, GA  30332

kadoi@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jeff Yasumoto) (11/09/90)

Actually, he did mention a sort of 'behind the scene' action going on
concerning the possibility of the trilogy coming out sometime.  But one
must also remember, things might've changed since I talked to him during
the Summer.

As per Ultima VI, according to Mr.G, lets expect VGA-type graphics, with
the scrolling on the Amiga *very* *very* smooth.  Worlds of Ultima (Already
out on the IBM's already, I believe) will be *extremely* interesting and
*very* enjoyable/playable on the Amiga platform.  Lets pray they finish it! =)

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (11/22/90)

I've heard a lot of talk about Ultima V being 'out' for the Amiga, but I've
yet to see it anywhere.  In fact, I've been to three different dealers,
people who usually get stuff as soon as it's released.  Still no Ultima V.
Two of these dealers called Origin when I insisted that the game was out,
but Origin told them it had not been released yet.  What gives here?
Who's got this game?  Is it a real copy, demo, pirated, or what?  I'd
love to play this game when its around - don't tantalize me with rumors!
-
Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK

pochron@cat52.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (12/01/90)

Yes, I saw it at a computer meeting the other night - someone purchased it.
It was not demoed so I can't tell you anything about what it is like.

Since others have mentioned serious problems I am holding off buying it until
I can get ahold of Origin.

Speaking of which - I have tried calling them 6 times this week already, and
every time I call there is a busy signal.  So either:

1) They've taken the phone off the hook
2) They're in constant communication with their programmers concerning the
   Amiga version
3) Amiga users are bombarding the office with complaints.

My guess would be #3.

David M. Pochron	    |  from Rescue Rangers, _A Fly in the Ointment_
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu|  Gadget to Dale:  "Keep the hands off the body!"