[comp.sys.amiga.games] Populous and PowerMonger

michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) (11/10/90)

Populous called a "spineless and wimpy" game?

Maybe they're talking about the computer player which cheats soo badly
that its not worth playing the computer (it gets unbeatable).

What does PowerMonger have that Populous didn't?

Does anyone know how to get the computer to stop cheating in Pop?
(I`ll take binary patches).

Does anyone know how to beat the computer after about level 250 in
the original or 150 in PromisedLands? (I've actually reached around
235 and 135, and no further).

		Michael

guest@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (BBS user) (11/13/90)

I'm not sure if this was a dream,  or not , because the memory of it is only once
And I seem not able to duplicate it again. While playing populace, a worm-like
creature with a man riding on it's back moved over the grass, and the earth
in it's wake was furrowed.....

(Some of the populas sound effects make realy nice instrements)

Prof

maupr@warwick.ac.uk (Mr. L.F. Warren) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov10.025250.27365@cs.ucla.edu> michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) writes:

>What does PowerMonger have that Populous didn't?

PowerMonger has many enemies to fight against which are ruled by their
individual leaders, it has a 'fractal' landscape.  Also, all the characters
(even the individual people) in the game have names, jobs, families and
they go to work, invent things (eg a plough, or new weapons).  The islands
have seasons and the characters are affected.  You can also capture enemy
captains and hence indirectly control their forces.

PowerMonger is much more pleasing to the eye and is much more interesting
tactically.

PS. I don't work for EA or Bullfrog or related companies,

                This is Leigh Warren, I thank you,

                        Goodnight..

mhenders@carina.unm.edu (Stinger) (11/13/90)

	Official word is this:

	Powermonger street date: November 20

Lord I hope so..... (I'm far too excited about this game...)

--
  .----                           <<      Amiga Weirdo      >>      ///|
   \  __/_ ' .--.  .--. .-.  .--. <<       Demo Freak       >>     ///||

mmccarth@ub.d.umn.edu (Mark McCarthy) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov12.161003.6442@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au> guest@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (BBS user) writes:

>I'm not sure if this was a dream,  or not , because the memory of it is only once
>And I seem not able to duplicate it again. While playing populace, a worm-like
>creature with a man riding on it's back moved over the grass, and the earth
>in it's wake was furrowed.....
>
>(Some of the populas sound effects make realy nice instrements)
>
>Prof

I kid you not when I say that this has happened to me numerous times!  The
little "wizard" on the flying rug leaves a trail of trees in his wake.  This
feat of nature :) also happened once when I was playing the game via
modem.  I followed the rugs path until it "fell off" the end of the
world!(Actually, it hit the end of the screen....) Haven't seen him since.

Mark
(Eagerly awaiting PowerMonger!)

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov12.161003.6442@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au> guest@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (BBS user) writes:

>I'm not sure if this was a dream,  or not , because the memory of it is only once
>And I seem not able to duplicate it again. While playing populace, a worm-like
>creature with a man riding on it's back moved over the grass, and the earth
>in it's wake was furrowed.....

I haven't seen a worm-like creature, but I've seen a wizard on a flying carpet
that leaves a wake in its path.  I think this is for population control --
ie. there are too many people in the game, and this is the game's way of
reducing the population.

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov12.161003.6442@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au>, guest@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (BBS user) writes:
> I'm not sure if this was a dream,  or not , because the memory of it is only once
> And I seem not able to duplicate it again. While playing populace, a worm-like
> creature with a man riding on it's back moved over the grass, and the earth
> in it's wake was furrowed.....
>
> (Some of the populas sound effects make realy nice instrements)
>
> Prof

I've seen it too, some kind of swamp monster that gobbles up everyone
in its path.  I guess its one of those things the authors don't mention
so you'll be surprised when you see it.

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.154932.1976@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> baalke@mars.UUCP (Ron Baalke) writes:

>I haven't seen a worm-like creature, but I've seen a wizard on a flying carpet
>that leaves a wake in its path.  I think this is for population control --
>ie. there are too many people in the game, and this is the game's way of
>reducing the population.

First, with your name it seems like you should spend your time playing
BAAL.

In populous, there's something that leaves swamps behind, too.  I think
it is a big green frog.

The man on the carpet leaves a line of trees behind him.  I've never known
what the effect of trees was; someone said they had an effect, but didn't
say what it was.

Someone was saying they got stuck in the 100s with this game.  I'm stuck
in a firey world where I start of with a population strewn about a very
unflat bunch of mountains, with a whole lot of permanent stones in all
my walkers' ways.  By the time I get any reasonable territory flattened,
the computer has 6 or 8 castles, and it's too late.

I've tried a few strategies, and none worked.  However, in earlier
games, set-ups that seemed equally hopeless turned soluble when I figured
out the gimmick.  Has anyone got significantly beyond, say, level 115?

I also came to believe that the level you advance to depends on the
number of points you get in a victory, about 1 level for every 25000
points.  Anyone able to confirm?  Are there some impossible levels
that you can back out of and win the previous one by a greater margin
to get past?

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (11/15/90)

And don't forget the blob that leaves swamps in his wake!!!

I thought these additives were kind of a neat twist...

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!
-- IRAQNOPHOBIA: Nothing a little RAID wouldn't cure!

ptrei@bistromath.mitre.org (Peter Trei) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.194132.7135@world.std.com> levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) writes:
>Someone was saying they got stuck in the 100s with this game...

>I've tried a few strategies, and none worked.  However, in earlier
>games, set-ups that seemed equally hopeless turned soluble when I figured
>out the gimmick.  Has anyone got significantly beyond, say, level 115?

I've completed the game (level 500). It *can* be done.

>Are there some impossible levels that you can back out of and win the
>previous one by a greater margin to get past?

Yes, I did this several times.

Two hints:

Work *very* fast at the start to build your flat land. Use the magnet to get
 the first walkers to a good spot.
Keep the enemy off-balance.

    | Peter Trei, a travelling man.  PTrei@mitre.org !linus!mbunix!ptrei |
    | Disclaimer: My employer pays me for my skills, not my opinions.    |
    | Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth...               |
    | Peter Trei, a travelling man.  PTrei@mitre.org !linus!mbunix!ptrei |
    | Disclaimer: My employer pays me for my skills, not my opinions.    |
    | Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth...               |

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (11/15/90)

I recently got Populous in a swap (legal, people, I swapped another
original with box and everything for an original of Populous and something
else) and have only played it for a few hours because it won't run with
my 68010.  At any rate, I used the little utility which gives you the
names of every world to see what was up ahead, after getting to about
level 27 normally.  All the early worlds seemed too easy.  So I began
skipping around.  Level 100, too easy.  Level 200, too easy.  Level 225,
impossible.  Huh?  Went back and spot-checked - somewhere between level
207 and 215, it goes from easy to impossible.

I don't have the time to explore this further right now and I'm also
not willing to swap a 68000 back into any of my machines just to run
what is simply buggy software, but apparently there does seem to be some
strategy involved somewhere that I have yet to learn.  Perhaps if I
read the manual?

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|

stelmack@mercury.csee.usf.EDU (Gregory M. Stelmack) (11/16/90)

The tree wizard basically destroys settlements in his wake, killing people.

Answer to question: Yes, level advancement is related to points, and if
you are stuck you can beat the previous level by more to advance. Some
levels we had to beat this way (my roommate and a friend have gone all the
way).

Very useful strategy: Drop all four squares around an opponent when water is
fatal and drown him!

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!
-- IRAQNOPHOBIA: Nothing a little RAID wouldn't cure!

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (11/16/90)

I'm sure it's been up before, but could someone re-post some info on
PowerMonger for me? I'm interested in it, but don't know too much about
Populous or PM.

d0micke@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Andersson) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov14.154932.1976@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:
|> In article <1990Nov12.161003.6442@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au> guest@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (BBS user) writes:
|> >
|> >I'm not sure if this was a dream,  or not , because the memory of it is only once
|> >And I seem not able to duplicate it again. While playing populace, a worm-like
|> >creature with a man riding on it's back moved over the grass, and the earth
|> >in it's wake was furrowed.....
|> >

|> I haven't seen a worm-like creature, but I've seen a wizard on a flying carpet
|> that leaves a wake in its path.  I think this is for population control --
|> ie. there are too many people in the game, and this is the game's way of
|> reducing the population.

And I have seen a blob moving around creating a big trail of swamp squares, and
killing LOTS of people......

duplain@rtf.bt.co.uk (Andy Duplain) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.120541.28103@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d0micke@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Andersson) writes:

>|> I haven't seen a worm-like creature, but I've seen a wizard on a flying carpet
>|> that leaves a wake in its path.  I think this is for population control --
>|> ie. there are too many people in the game, and this is the game's way of
>|> reducing the population.
>
>And I have seen a blob moving around creating a big trail of swamp squares, and
>killing LOTS of people......

I think (I read the manual quite a long time ago) these are time constraint
devices.
The header of the first article mentioned Powermonger; have you guys in the
states got Powermonger? When the hell is it coming out?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andy Duplain - BT CSD Brighton Systems Centre, UK.      ///     ||||

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (11/29/90)

>The header of the first article mentioned Powermonger; have you guys in the
>states got Powermonger? When the hell is it coming out?

I have it, I don't know about release dates in different countries though :-)

Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) (12/05/90)

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:

> I have it, I don't know about release dates in different countries though :-)
> Jorgen
Tell us about Powermonger! Are you in the US?  Is it availible here?  Is it
as wonderful as it sounds?  Better?  How much $?  Thanks!
                        Diogenes