[comp.sys.amiga.games] Gauntlet II == Major Rip-Off

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (12/01/90)

After plunking down $22.50 for Gauntlet II, with memories of many a long
night at my dorm's Gauntlet machine flashing about, I went home almost
drooling at the thought of *finally* having a way-cool shoot-em-up game.

BZZZzzt.  But thank you for playing.

0.  Disk is both copy protected and manual protected.
1.  I have to unplug the mouse and plug in my joystick for a *one* player game.
2.  It doesn't keep high scores. (But it does keep score during a game..)
3.  Most of the way-cool sound samples from the standup are gone.
4.  You can't "put in more quarters".  However, they play the
    "all your powers will be lost" sample anyway.  Grrr.

The rest of the game is done fairly well, tho... Nice smooth scrolling,
good joystick response, etc...  But those 5 *bad* things make it almost
unplayable.

Any chance I just have an early version or something?
--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

dw3w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Database Work) (12/02/90)

Ultima V is NOT PLAYABLE!  If I press doiwwn 54  times, s, I get 3 down movements.
This makes doing such things as Z-tatsw and talking with people IMPOSSIBLE.
Tha e games is just not playable, do not buy it.  If it was anything but
bad playability, I would play it.  Graphics and sound are not important to
me if I enjoy th e t\ggame (I loved it on my Apple).  Anything but this!

trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec1.015150.2540@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

> 0.  Disk is both copy protected and manual protected.

I agree that this is a minus...

>1.  I have to unplug the mouse and plug in my joystick for a *one* player game.

Can't you start player 2 by itself?  I can...

>2.  It doesn't keep high scores. (But it does keep score during a game..)

With something that's on-disk copy protected, this is probably a
good idea.

> 4.  You can't "put in more quarters".  However, they play the
>     "all your powers will be lost" sample anyway.  Grrr.

You can always start up another player when you're about to die, but
you'll have to disconnect your mouse and plug in another joystick.
It's the way I've played it...

In <Dec.3.11.06.04.1990.18559@caip.rutgers.edu>, trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan) writes:
>In article <1990Dec1.015150.2540@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>
>>2.  It doesn't keep high scores. (But it does keep score during a game..)
>
>With something that's on-disk copy protected, this is probably a
>good idea.

I had this same beef with Marble Madness. Assuming I stretch my tolerance far
enough to allow that given the presence of on-disk copy protection, writing to
that same disk is probably unwise, I still feel that there is ABSOLUTLEY no
excuse to penalize those that have more than a single-floppy system and who are
not too lazy to put in another floppy at 'score save' time. I am sure you can
think of many places to store high score information other than on the boot
disk.

Perhaps Gaunlet II should be given the award "Best demo of 1990".

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

miracle@sctc.com (Barry Miracle) (12/05/90)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>After plunking down $22.50 for Gauntlet II, with memories of many a long
>night at my dorm's Gauntlet machine flashing about, I went home almost
>drooling at the thought of *finally* having a way-cool shoot-em-up game.

>BZZZzzt.  But thank you for playing.

>0.  Disk is both copy protected and manual protected.
>1.  I have to unplug the mouse and plug in my joystick for a *one* player game.
>2.  It doesn't keep high scores. (But it does keep score during a game..)
>3.  Most of the way-cool sound samples from the standup are gone.
>4.  You can't "put in more quarters".  However, they play the
>    "all your powers will be lost" sample anyway.  Grrr.

>The rest of the game is done fairly well, tho... Nice smooth scrolling,
>good joystick response, etc...  But those 5 *bad* things make it almost
>unplayable.

I must disagree.  Though all your points are valid, they do not ruin
the game.  The game playes very much like the coin-op and the response
is very good.  This is also one of the only games that you can play
with four players.  There is an adapter that you can buy to allow four
joysticks.  I would rate this game very highly for anyone looking for
this type of game.

>Any chance I just have an early version or something?
>--
>J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
>Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120
>EastEnders list: eastender@karazm.math.uh.edu
>"This meme's for you..." --me

Barry Miracle
miracle@sctc.com