[comp.sys.amiga.games] Federation

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/03/90)

Federation is a "strategic space trading and combat adventure," as the box
claims, a la Elite.

The graphics are pretty good, the game play "response" is quite fast, and the
game is detailed, but it suffers from a poor manual.

I purchased Federation thinking it was as fine a game as Elite, only to be
quite disappointed.  In the end, I purchased Elite from a mail order firm and
have played it but not Federation....

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Meech:  Just say
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  NO!

UD118950@NDSUVM1.BITNET (12/01/90)

  Just a quite request...(*ahem*)

HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!

  I bought Spotlight's _Federation_ some months ago, but, due to a move to a
new locale, I have only just started to play it.
  My question is this:  Does this game get good, or does it stink as bad as I
think it does?

  I have tried everything I know and the game just escapes me.  It's supposed
to be a 3-D space flight/combat simulator, but what it becomes is a dull,
sloppy, BORING pice of sh*t.

  I have only once completed a mission...Only made 100 credits.  I have never
sucessfully traded anything...and half of my combats  end up with my ship
being rammed by the other ship.  Poor slob must have been bored out of his
gord too...

  Please, any information would be helpful.

  Thanks in advance.
Tony Bruno ud118950@ndsuvm1            "C'mon, Mav, do some of that
University of North Dakota               pilot sh*t..."
(701)-772-2599                           --Goose, _Top Gun_

miracle@sctc.com (Barry Miracle) (12/05/90)

UD118950@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

>  Just a quite request...(*ahem*)

>HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!

>  I bought Spotlight's _Federation_ some months ago, but, due to a move to a
>new locale, I have only just started to play it.
>  My question is this:  Does this game get good, or does it stink as bad as I
>think it does?

This game could have been really fun, but it IS as bad as you think.

>  I have tried everything I know and the game just escapes me.  It's supposed
>to be a 3-D space flight/combat simulator, but what it becomes is a dull,
>sloppy, BORING pice of sh*t.

I played this game only for a short time.  I found the idea behind it
intriguing, but the implementation is incredably bad.

>  I have only once completed a mission...Only made 100 credits.  I have never
>sucessfully traded anything...and half of my combats  end up with my ship
>being rammed by the other ship.  Poor slob must have been bored out of his
>gord too...

If you are a masochist and want to play this game here are some tips.

1.  Fly backwards during combat.  This is done by lowering your speed
until it is negative.  This allows you to shoot the other ships before
you crash into them.

2.  One of the function keys brings up a menu that says things like
"LOAD", "SAVE", ... DO NOT use any of these options.  They are from a
previous port or something and corrupt disks and crash the program.

>  Please, any information would be helpful.

>  Thanks in advance.
>Tony Bruno ud118950@ndsuvm1            "C'mon, Mav, do some of that
>University of North Dakota               pilot sh*t..."
>(701)-772-2599                           --Goose, _Top Gun_

Barry Miracle
miracle@sctc.com

UD118950@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

>  I bought Spotlight's _Federation_ some months ago, but, due to a move to a
>new locale, I have only just started to play it.
>  My question is this:  Does this game get good, or does it stink as bad as I
>think it does?

>sloppy, BORING pice of sh*t.

My friend has this game and I love it. To each his own I guess. It's more
of a simulation than an arcade game. You work your way up thru the ranks
of scout up to head trader of the galaxy. It looks and plays a lot like
Elite. If you want fast action arcade play, this is NOT the game for you.
But if you just want an interesting game that really has no ending, just
something to boot up and wile away a few hours here and there, then you
will like it.

My friend found sort of a bug in it. If you go to buy an item, buy all
of it up. The price will sky rocket. sell it back to the market at a tidy
profit. do it again, and again.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,