[comp.sys.amiga.games] StarTrek3 NTSC patch

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (11/20/90)

% Hi...
% What's the name of that patch? And where's it available?
% Thanks ... -- Anthon

Sorry to waste bandwidth, but my retarted mailer is broken.:-(

Anthon,

The patchNTSC is on the Star Trek 3 disk 1 in the C directory.  If you don't
have it on yours, try getting the warped copy from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in
the /incoming/amiga/GAMES/StarTrek3 directory.  You could also try
/incoming/amiga TobiasTrek(??) but I'm not sure the patch is there, as I
didn't download it.

Hope that helps,
Parker

--
 James Parker   (parker@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
   WVU ComputerScience     |

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (11/22/90)

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:

>% Hi...
>% What's the name of that patch? And where's it available?
>% Thanks ... -- Anthon

>The patchNTSC is on the Star Trek 3 disk 1 in the C directory.  If you don't
>have it on yours, try getting the warped copy from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in
>the /incoming/amiga/GAMES/StarTrek3 directory.  You could also try
>/incoming/amiga TobiasTrek(??) but I'm not sure the patch is there, as I
>didn't download it.

A better solution, I have found, is to use the program "PalBOOT" from the
comp.sources.amiga archive (v90i113).  It is accompanied with the similar
NTSCBoot as well.

Using PalBOOT (which boots the Amiga 500/2000 etc) into Pal mode works
PERFECTLY with TobiasTrek.  You get a full screen display (not the scrunched
interlace stuff with patchNTSC).  Try it out, it works great.

I have tried other Pal-modem switching programs, but PalBOOT is the only
one I have found that works with almost everything.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (11/24/90)

dean@coplex.UUCP writes:
> A better solution, I have found, is to use the program "PalBOOT" from the
> comp.sources.amiga archive (v90i113).  It is accompanied with the similar
> NTSCBoot as well.
>
> Using PalBOOT (which boots the Amiga 500/2000 etc) into Pal mode works
> PERFECTLY with TobiasTrek.  You get a full screen display (not the scrunched
> interlace stuff with patchNTSC).  Try it out, it works great.
>
> I have tried other Pal-modem switching programs, but PalBOOT is the only
> one I have found that works with almost everything.

Everything except my "stock" Amiga 1000, it seems.

jac423@leah.albany.edu (Julius Andrew Cisek) (11/27/90)

In article <218@coplex.UUCP> dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:
>parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>>The patchNTSC is on the Star Trek 3 disk 1 in the C directory.  If you don't
>>have it on yours, try getting the warped copy from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in
>>the /incoming/amiga/GAMES/StarTrek3 directory.  You could also try
>>/incoming/amiga TobiasTrek(??) but I'm not sure the patch is there, as I
>>didn't download it.

It's also available in the Fred Fish libraries.  Err....  Aquarium is at home.  Sorry :)

>A better solution, I have found, is to use the program "PalBOOT" from the
>comp.sources.amiga archive (v90i113).  It is accompanied with the similar
>NTSCBoot as well.
>
>Using PalBOOT (which boots the Amiga 500/2000 etc) into Pal mode works
>PERFECTLY with TobiasTrek.  You get a full screen display (not the scrunched
>interlace stuff with patchNTSC).  Try it out, it works great.
>
>I have tried other Pal-modem switching programs, but PalBOOT is the only
>one I have found that works with almost everything.

This unfortunately  only works with  those machines that  have the new
Agnus chip.   For  those  of  us  with  the original   500/2000 series
computers (who haven't bothered to upgrade), this does not work.
--
|    // .______. J.Cisek  CSC MiniSystems  "i don't want the world,   \_o_/ |
|  \X/--|UU UUU| jac423@leah.albany.edu     i just want your half..." \\|   |

jac423@leah.albany.edu (Julius Andrew Cisek) (11/27/90)

PatchNTSC is available on Fred Fish disk #346.
--

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:

>> I have tried other Pal-modem switching programs, but PalBOOT is the only
>> one I have found that works with almost everything.

>Everything except my "stock" Amiga 1000, it seems.

Or my friends 2000 (WITH the new agnus chip!).
We ran palboot from the cli. It just blanked the screen. so we rebooted,
thinking that maybe it will come up in pal mode... Nope, we get a software
failure requestor.

What gives? how do you use palboot anyway? The docs just had one line in it
that said something like: "this will let you boot up in PAL mode".

I might just have a flakey copy of palboot, or I may be using it wrong.
or palboot may be a piece of sh*t. let me know.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (12/09/90)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:

>>> I have tried other Pal-modem switching programs, but PalBOOT is the only
>>> one I have found that works with almost everything.

>>Everything except my "stock" Amiga 1000, it seems.

>Or my friends 2000 (WITH the new agnus chip!).
>We ran palboot from the cli. It just blanked the screen. so we rebooted,
>thinking that maybe it will come up in pal mode... Nope, we get a software
>failure requestor.

>What gives? how do you use palboot anyway? The docs just had one line in it
>that said something like: "this will let you boot up in PAL mode".

Weird.  With the version I have, you simply run the program with no
options, the machine resets and you are then in Pal mode.  In case
you have a different version, or it is corrupted, I have included
a uuencoded copy of the version I am currently used.

The below file was extracted directly from the archive of sources.amiga
vol/issue number v90i113.  The executable is VERY small, and should be
exactly 68 bytes long after uudecoding.  NOTE: This will only work with
the 1meg Fat Agnus chipset.

---- Cut Here ----
begin 664 PALBoot
7HG(@+'@``DOY``-!($YP3M5.<0```_((?