[comp.sys.amiga.games] Joysticks

hanavin@udel.edu (Chuck Hanavin) (07/31/90)

Well after 5 years of owning an Amiga 1000, I broke down
and bought some games. Now I need to buy a joystick, and I'm
not sure which brand to buy. Can someone on the net recommend
a joystick for me to buy. The ones I am considering range from
$14.94 to $89.95. The games I have are Challenger, Persercutor,
and fireblaster, but I will be buying a flight simulator, car/
motorcycle simulator and Ice hockey. Preferablly I would like
one joystick to work well with all these games.

Thanks-Chuck

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (08/01/90)

I have a Wico bat-handle joystick that I bought many years ago for my Atari
800.  It has made it through thousands of gaming sessions, and it still feels
superb!
Then buy Turrican.

zolten@hogbbs.fidonet.org (Zolten Coldia) (08/02/90)

hanavin@udel.edu (Chuck Hanavin) writes:

> Well after 5 years of owning an Amiga 1000, I broke down
> and bought some games. Now I need to buy a joystick, and I'm
> not sure which brand to buy. Can someone on the net recommend
> a joystick for me to buy. The ones I am considering range from
> $14.94 to $89.95. The games I have are Challenger, Persercutor,
> and fireblaster, but I will be buying a flight simulator, car/
> motorcycle simulator and Ice hockey. Preferablly I would like
> one joystick to work well with all these games.
>
> Thanks-Chuck

In my 6 years of Commodore Computing (5 with a 64, 1 with Amiga) I have
found the best joystick for any game is the Epyx 500XJ.  I've had one for
3 years and not a single problem.  I'm not sure if they still sell them
(I believe epyx went bankrupt) but I got mine for $14.99 and I'm going to
pick up one from a friend for $3.  Best buy.

rickh@metaware.metaware.com (Rick Herrick) (08/03/90)

In article <26213@nigel.udel.EDU> hanavin@udel.edu () writes:
>not sure which brand to buy. Can someone on the net recommend
>a joystick for me to buy. The ones I am considering range from
>$14.94 to $89.95. The games I have are Challenger, Persercutor,

I would recommend the really cheap kind.  They cost about $6 at
Software, Etc.  I can't remember the name.  I always just called
them ugly sticks.  But they have a square base with a short little
handle with a ball on the end.  I've had a number of the "ergonomic"
joysticks, the kind that fit your hand.  The problem I have with
them is they almost ALL use microswitchs.  These click everytime
you use the stick.  It's really annoying, and after awhile it's
really hard to be precise with them.  The ugly stick uses pressure
pads (I guess they're piezoelectric) that don't click, and for me
are MUCH better on filght simulator games.  They're more precise,
and easier to use.  Also, they seem to last longer, and when they
do break, you can get another one cheap.  I've never seen any extra
features on a joystick that justify spending $50 or up on one.  After
all, you just play games with it.

--
                                          -Echo
                                           The Potato-Salad-Eatin' Fool.

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (08/04/90)

>In article <oPs9m2w162w@hogbbs.fidonet.org> zolten@hogbbs.fidonet.org (Zolten Coldia) writes:
>hanavin@udel.edu (Chuck Hanavin) writes:
>
>> Well after 5 years of owning an Amiga 1000, I broke down
>> and bought some games. Now I need to buy a joystick, and I'm
>> not sure which brand to buy. Can someone on the net recommend
>> a joystick for me to buy. The ones I am considering range from
>> $14.94 to $89.95. The games I have are Challenger, Persercutor,
>> and fireblaster, but I will be buying a flight simulator, car/
>> motorcycle simulator and Ice hockey. Preferablly I would like
>> one joystick to work well with all these games.
>>
>> Thanks-Chuck
>>

>In my 6 years of Commodore Computing (5 with a 64, 1 with Amiga) I have
>found the best joystick for any game is the Epyx 500XJ.  I've had one for
>3 years and not a single problem.  I'm not sure if they still sell them
>(I believe epyx went bankrupt) but I got mine for $14.99 and I'm going to
>pick up one from a friend for $3.  Best buy.

I have an Epyx 500XJ also. It is very good in MOST CASES. However, it
is extremely bad for any game that requires "diagonals". I mean that
if you think of a joystick "up" as "north, "down" is "south", etc, the
diagonals would be NE, SE, SW, and NW.

Several games that I have tried to use this joystick with are almost
impossible. These are "Fiendish Freddy's Big Top 'O FUN" and Turrican.
Both of these games require you to have accurate use of diagonals, and
that is nearly impossible for the 500XJ.

It uses micrositches, and has no "stops" to accurately position the
stick in the appropriate position to cause both switches for a
diagonal to close.

For the above mentioned games, I use an el-cheapo $5.00 joystick
that allows me to jam it in a diagonal quickly and accurately.

Other that the problems with diagonals, the 500XJ is an excellent
joystick.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  In Texas: {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group | The World: dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (amdahl!dwl10)
      Houston, TX        |

elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) (08/07/90)

> I would recommend the really cheap kind.  They cost about $6 at
> Software, Etc.  I can't remember the name.  I always just called
> them ugly sticks.  But they have a square base with a short little
> handle with a ball on the end.
Are these the "Suncom" joysticks?  I've used the Epyx 500, the Wico
3-way (three different handles), the original Atari 2600 joysticks
and the Suncoms.  Of the 4, I prefer the Suncom.  It feels the best,
gives me the highest scores and is the cheapest solution.  What a deal!

The Wico is built like a Sherman tank, but it is too large & bulky to
be comfortable.  The Epyx just didn't seem to "fit well" -- I had a hard
time using it.

etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors TX/DKI) (08/07/90)

The best joystick is almost a "religious" question. It depends on what type
of joy you like, if you want a joy with small movements or one with large.

Well the one that i have found works best for me is the TAC-2. It has extremely
short action, and i have found that it works extreamly well for me to all
games i care to run. Its very durable. I have managed to break one, and i think that
was due to extensive use. But it's not certian that it will be the best for you
(but 95 % of my friends seams to perfer the TAC-2 over any other joy).

Well thats my .02$ worth
--
!Thomas Grennefors               ! proud member off    Armaments 2:9-21
!Ericsson Telecom,Karlstad       ! THHS krfc (tlps)

GRGREF@BYUVM.BITNET (08/08/90)

If you want a really sturdy joystick, and you can still find it, I've had a
single joystick for about 10 years (and I *do* play lots of games) and it's
never gotten unresponsive, the fire-buttons are still crisp, etc.  I got it
used from a friend, so I don't know where he got it, but the label on the
back says 'Competition pro joystick, Coin Controls, Inc. (USA)'.  If anyone
knows where and if these can still be found,  I'd really like to get a second.
Incidentally, the design is the same as the joystick shown on the 'controls'
screen on the game Battle Squadron.  (Very Good Game, btw.)  Whether or not
it's actually the same I don't know, but it looks like it...

                                Bryan Ford  GRGREF@BYUVM.BITNET

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (sysop) (08/10/90)

In article <david.5510@starsoft.UUCP>, david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
> >In article <oPs9m2w162w@hogbbs.fidonet.org> zolten@hogbbs.fidonet.org (Zolten Coldia) writes:
> >hanavin@udel.edu (Chuck Hanavin) writes:
> >
> >> Well after 5 years of owning an Amiga 1000, I broke down
> >> and bought some games. Now I need to buy a joystick, and I'm
> >> motorcycle simulator and Ice hockey. Preferablly I would like
> >> one joystick to work well with all these games.
> >>
> >> Thanks-Chuck
> >found the best joystick for any game is the Epyx 500XJ.  I've had one for
> >3 years and not a single problem.  I'm not sure if they still sell them
> >(I believe epyx went bankrupt) but I got mine for $14.99 and I'm going to
> >pick up one from a friend for $3.  Best buy.

>       Dave Lowrey        |  In Texas: {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
> Starbound Software Group | The World: dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (amdahl!dwl10)
>       Houston, TX        |

One joystick that I don't see mentioned very often is the Gravis switch
joystick (not the MouseStick).  The Gravis Switch costs about $30, and
has a different feel than a lot of joysticks.  for starters, it has a
free feel, with the tension adjustable.  What I like are the large buttons,
which have a short throw and nice click.  I REALLY like this joystick.
(The only thing it needs is support for the [true] 2nd button; someday
I'll get the courage to [try to] hack the thing.)

While a couple of my friends have the MouseStick, I haven't played with
it enough to form an opinion.  Here, it goes for less than $70, but that's
still a lot for "just a joystick".  (..especially considering the short
life-span of them in general. :-)  ... but it seems like flight simulators
and perhaps driving games would really benefit from an analog-like input
signal.  (Yes, I wanna hear if people enjoy their games more with this
one.)

At one time on c.s.a. there was talk about the possibility of making a
software driver that could translate an analog joystick input into mouse
like events.  I think this is a good idea, although I realize that many
(most?) games wouldn't make use of it, in taking over the system. Still,
if it worked for a couple of favorites, it might be worth it.  (Falcon? :-)
------------------------
On another topic, I picked up Battle Squadron and RVF Honda at Games 'n'
Gadgets for $10 each.  Is this a trend?  These are both very good arcade
games.  I can't believe the prices people pay for the video games for the
dedicated systems, then see software like this.  Also, the software seems
to be fairly well-behaved, reasonably polished (and runs on my '010).

Is this a new marketing strategy, or simply selling off stock that has sat
for a certain period of time?  At $10, these games simply must be bought!
--
Gary Wolfe, SYSOP of the Temporal Vortex BBS
..uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop, ..unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (11/25/90)

In article <36959@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>I still have my AMIGA PowerStick from '83 (back when they made joysticks (as
>well as the Legendary Power Board, the TRUE source of the GURU) and it
>still works! Great little stick; wish that SOMEONE would bring them back out.

Yes, I agree - my Amiga Powerstick (which is a little too worn out to use
after 7 years!) is unquestionably the best joystick I've ever seen.  Small
enough to use with one hand if necessary, yet strong.  Sensitive, but durable.
Comfortable to use, and inexpensive.  They don't make 'em like that any more.
It was the only stick which held up to my style of playing Space Taxi and
Raid on Bungling Bay on the 64...

Of course, when I first heard that Amiga was coming out with a computer, I
thought "Wait a minute, Amiga makes JOYSTICKS - isn't this a bit like Schwinn
building a car here?".  I'm glad I was proven so wrong...

I've seen Joyboards for sale at used equipment stores but never have I found
another Powerstick.  What are the chances of some company finding out who
(if anyone) has the rights to this design and re-releasing it?  Probably
zero, but one can always hope.

Please note the Followup-to line, also.

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|

jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) (11/26/90)

This might've been brought up before, but I haven't read it on BBS yet...  WHY
DOESN'T AMIGA OR OTHER COMPANIES START MAKING TWO-BUTTONED JOYSTICKS?!?  It is
SO SAD that the Amiga has such awesome graphics, but the joystick is terribly
sorrowful, especially when many games out such as Battle Squadron needs it.
Battle Squadron accepts the mouse for input, and the difference is tremendous.
I don't know why they still insist on having people twist the joystick once
around (which weakens the joystick and messes up the game playing).  Games
like Final Flight (which is not on Amigas, I don't think) uses ALL
COMBINATIONS of the two buttons and the direction of the joystick, but when
it comes to the Amiga, they probably will reduce the moves down just because
of the one button joystick...

Any input on that?  I have been puzzled by this ever since I got my Amiga...

Maybe some company can make BIG BUCKS offering a NICE game that comes with the
two-buttoned joystick for $39 or so.  I'm sure SO MANY PEOPLE would want it.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jlee
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jlee@nosc.mil
INET: jlee@pnet01.cts.com

BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (11/26/90)

I agree. Many games would be enhanced with two joystick buttons, something like
the arcade counterparts. I, personally can think of sports games that could be
created with the extra button to control baserunning or other aspects of the
game that are too hard to control with just one button. Maybe someone could
make it like a Nintendo stick or something. Why can't this be done??

-- Rick

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (11/26/90)

You can buy a Sega PowerStick at Electronic Boutique for $49.99, and it has 3
independent fire buttons and programmable rapid-fire.

Stuart Pierce

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (11/27/90)

In article <5883@crash.cts.com> jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) writes:
>This might've been brought up before, but I haven't read it on BBS yet...  WHY
>DOESN'T AMIGA OR OTHER COMPANIES START MAKING TWO-BUTTONED JOYSTICKS?!?  It is

I agree!!  Games such as Hybris and Battle Squadron would be made so much
better if they would only support a two-button joystick.  I think that only
one game (I believe it is Revenge of Defender -- StarRay in Europe) supports
the use of a second button.  And I think that you have to make it yourself!
Most games that require more than one button use the space-bar or other
such blasphemous garbage.  To me it is totally unacceptable to do this.
Take R-Type for instance.  You had to hit space to send the R-Type out
and to recall him.  I was always dying whenever I took my hand off the
joystick.  Finally I stretched the keyboard of my 2000 to the floor and
used my big toe to operate it!  Not quite what I call elegant!  Anyway
it sure would be nice to see two button joysticks on the market and support
for them in the games.  (Oh, and don't forget support for analog joysticks
in flight sims :) )

				Jay Ward

Jay Ward --> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu | "A waist is a terrible thing to mind"
       TrailBlazerWins   == 11;      |
       TrailBlazerLosses == NULL;    |                    -- Karen Carpenter

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (11/28/90)

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) writes:

>In article <5883@crash.cts.com> jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) writes:
>>This might've been brought up before, but I haven't read it on BBS yet...  WHY
>>DOESN'T AMIGA OR OTHER COMPANIES START MAKING TWO-BUTTONED JOYSTICKS?!?  It is

>Most games that require more than one button use the space-bar or other
>such blasphemous garbage.  To me it is totally unacceptable to do this.
>Take R-Type for instance.  You had to hit space to send the R-Type out
>and to recall him.

As previously mentioned, R-Type does use the second button as well as the
space bar.  Use a Genesis joystick or roll-your-own to take advantage of this.

>Jay Ward --> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu | "A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \  Pete Ashdown   pashdown@javelin.es.com   ...orca.es.com!javelin!pashdown

mental@bluemoon.uucp (Sean Kellner) (11/28/90)

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) writes:

> In article <5883@crash.cts.com> jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) writes:
> >This might've been brought up before, but I haven't read it on BBS yet...  W
> >DOESN'T AMIGA OR OTHER COMPANIES START MAKING TWO-BUTTONED JOYSTICKS?!?  It
>
> used my big toe to operate it!  Not quite what I call elegant!  Anyway
> it sure would be nice to see two button joysticks on the market and support
> for them in the games.  (Oh, and don't forget support for analog joysticks
> in flight sims :) )

I totally agree that 2 button support would be very nice to have in quite
a few games. But it is even more frustrating for me than most, I use a
Sega control stick type of joystick (works perfectly without any mods) and
it has the second button. The new one for the genesis will also work that
has 3 buttons each with independent variable rate rapid fire. I have been
playing Nitro and it is very difficult in the configurattion it comes in
(I did win tho, all 32 levels!) When you press up, the Nitro kicks in if
you bought one and is used up. Now try to steer without accidently pushing
up.... Would it be that hard to allow the player to set the joystick up
however was best for them, I dont think it should be. Allow normal
joysticks to have up be accelerate and the button be Nitro, or have both
buttons active (the second reads just like a right mouse button) if they
have it. Have the option to use all three if they want!!

dw3w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Database Work) (11/28/90)

Before you cut down no games having 2 buttons I can think off the top of my
head 2 games that have support for 2 buttons: Turrican and X-out (Both
Rainbow Arts, bBTW).  I bought a 2 button joystick ( A joystick for the Genesis
a TAC-50), and love it.  Not many games support 2 buttons, but it is changing.
Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign.

Ryan Newman
dw3w+ryman@andrew.cmu.edu

j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com (Jack Parsons) (12/04/90)

I notice there's been a lot of discussion lately about the Epyx 500XJ joystick
here. I, too, have been looking for an Amiga-compatible version of this 'stick
with no success.

Does anyone know if you can use Sega (either Master System or Genesis)
compatible joysticks on the Amiga? I've heard folks mention this here in
passing, but no sales critters seem to have a good answer when I ask this. If
Master System sticks can be used unmodified on the Amiga, then I know where
you can get Epyx 500XJ sticks for the awesome price of ***$4.99***/each.

If anyone has a definitive answer for this question, let me know ASAP, as I
suspect these will go fast. If I don't hear from anyone soon I will go ahead
and buy one (no refunds or exchanges) and figure it out for myself.

Jack
j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com

mental@bluemoon.uucp (Sean Kellner) (12/10/90)

> Does anyone know if you can use Sega (either Master System or Genesis)
> compatible joysticks on the Amiga? I've heard folks mention this here in

 Yes any stick for any Sega system (at least SMS and Genesis) will work
perfectly without any mods whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I am gonna get
the nice lookin (and actin and performin) stick for the Genesis.

Oh, and I use the pads and stick for the Master system all of the time