[comp.sys.amiga.games] Help with Beyond Zork

marler@evax.arl.utexas.edu (T. Gordon Marler) (11/27/90)

I would appreciate any help with the following puzzles in Beyond Zork:

1)  How do you get rid of the Monkey Grinder?  Or at least get past him?

2) How do you cross the infinite rope bridge?

3) How do you get out of the cellar in the Inn after the door has been
   slammed shut on you?

4) What good is the pterodactyl, or its whistle after you have obtained
it?  Is the voice that you hear in your head him, or something/one else?

5) How do you prevent the hunters from taking the Minx with them?

Thanks.

marler@evax.arl.utexas.edu

cctr120@canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) (11/28/90)

Hi,

 Here are some

 ***************** SPOILERS *****************

      for    Beyond Zork!

In article <1990Nov27.072056.10044@evax.arl.utexas.edu>,
marler@evax.arl.utexas.edu (T. Gordon Marler) writes:
> I would appreciate any help with the following puzzles in Beyond Zork:
>
> 1)  How do you get rid of the Monkey Grinder?  Or at least get past him?

You can a) kill him in battle  (forget that idea)
        b) get him to open then chest found in the Lighthouse.
           Answer the riddle on the cliff to get into the lighthouse.

> 2) How do you cross the infinite rope bridge?

You don't. Fly over it on birdy, or use whats in the chest.

> 3) How do you get out of the cellar in the Inn after the door has been
>    slammed shut on you?

Use the recall spell or the something of sayonara

> 4) What good is the pterodactyl, or its whistle after you have obtained
> it?  Is the voice that you hear in your head him, or something/one else?

He is a mount.

> 5) How do you prevent the hunters from taking the Minx with them?

Wipe or rub the tracks when the hunter says "I can see your tracks"

> Thanks.>

Your welcome.

> marler@evax.arl.utexas.edu

Be seeing you,

Brendon Wyber                 Computer Services Centre,
b.wyber@canterbury.ac.nz      University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

"Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (12/01/90)

cctr120@canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) writes:

> Here are some

> ***************** SPOILERS *****************

>      for    Beyond Zork!

>In article <1990Nov27.072056.10044@evax.arl.utexas.edu>,
>marler@evax.arl.utexas.edu (T. Gordon Marler) writes:

>> 3) How do you get out of the cellar in the Inn after the door has been
>>    slammed shut on you?

>Use the recall spell or the something of sayonara

You can also use the little Power amulet and kick the door open. (the amulet
You find in the cellar)

Ok, Here is a little something I did on the commodore 64 version of Beyond
Zork. Make a backup of your disk. Then make another backup (is this legal?)
of a first level character position. Then go in and play until you have
drank all the strength and such bottles. (you will have high strength and
intelligence and stuff) Then save your game, get you a sector editor and
search for your stats on the disk (in hex I think). Once you find it, copy
down all the info (including the checksum at the end). You can apply this
stuff to your first level disk (with the sector editor). Be sure to put the
checksum tooo, they use that to check for cheating. Now you have accomplished
getting better stats, AND in your first level save the bottles STILL exist!
So you can drink them twice! haha. YEa..its a big cheat... Oh..mistake above,
You dont need to make a backup of the game disk, just your save disk. (or save
file) I am not sure if this will work on the amig aversion, but I don't see why
not. Good luck!

Byron Guernsey

bergma@solan.unit.no (Kristian Bergmann) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Nov27.072056.10044@evax.arl.utexas.edu>, marler@evax.arl.utexas.edu (T. Gordon Marler) writes:
|> I would appreciate any help with the following puzzles in Beyond Zork:
|>
|> 1)  How do you get rid of the Monkey Grinder?  Or at least get past him?
Sorry, no idea..

|> 2) How do you cross the infinite rope bridge?
I have flown the pterodactyl, no other way that I know of.

|> 3) How do you get out of the cellar in the Inn after the door has been
|>    slammed shut on you?

You climb the stack of barrels, (or whatever) and find the bottle, then use the
wand of sayonara (teleport).  The shop of magic will tell you which wand/rod etc. does what.

|> 4) What good is the pterodactyl, or its whistle after you have obtained
|> it?  Is the voice that you hear in your head him, or something/one else?
You zap him with wand of anastesia, and pull out the arrow, apply the weed,
and take the whistle.  He will come if you blow the whistle.  Now you need the
saddle from where the unicorn is at, use the wand of levitation to get it.
You can then fly the pterodactyl.

|> 5) How do you prevent the hunters from taking the Minx with them?
Sorry, don't know.

|> Thanks.
my pleasure...by the way, have you got the answer to the riddles?  Or gotten the
tear of the crocodile?  I think maybe the onion is the key, but how do you get it
to the crocodile?  Is there a point of helping the baby-thingy in the mud, except
for compassion?

s082@brems.ii.uib.no			Ketil Malde