[comp.sys.amiga.games] REAL Dragon's Lair..

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (12/08/90)

     We are all familiar with the version of Dragon's Lair that was
released by Readysoft.  Myself, I was very disappointed in small size
of the game released by Readysoft.  Part of the fun in Dragon's Lair
was it's multitude of rooms and its randomness: things which no Amiga
version yet has.  I had an idea of making a true version of
Dragon's Lair with the help of Amigavision.  This version would use
the actual laserdisks that the arcade version used.  Since AmigaVision
allows for easy control of a laserdisk along with the ability for user
interaction, a real verison of Dragon's Lair might be possible.
     There is one pressing problem however: Where would I be able to
get the laserdisks that were used in the original arcade machine?  I
remember reading about a company a year or so ago that was selling the
laserdisks to owners of Atari ST computers for a similar project.
Does anyone know where I could come across these disks or disks from
any other similar laserdisk game (Dragon's Lair II, Space Ace, etc..)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  E-Mail if you like..

                              Scott
                        BITNET: v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet
                      INTERNET: v092mpg5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
                                skwood@lictor.acsu.buffalo.edu
                                skwood@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/08/90)

When Amiga Vision had been released, one of the guys at Amiga World did
exactly what you are suggesting (Don't remeber what issue it was though)

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (12/09/90)

In article <49913@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>     We are all familiar with the version of Dragon's Lair that was
>released by Readysoft.  Myself, I was very disappointed in small size
>of the game released by Readysoft.  Part of the fun in Dragon's Lair
>was it's multitude of rooms and its randomness: things which no Amiga
>version yet has.  I had an idea of making a true version of
>Dragon's Lair with the help of Amigavision.  This version would use
>the actual laserdisks that the arcade version used.  Since AmigaVision
>allows for easy control of a laserdisk along with the ability for user
>interaction, a real verison of Dragon's Lair might be possible.
>     There is one pressing problem however: Where would I be able to
>get the laserdisks that were used in the original arcade machine?  I
>remember reading about a company a year or so ago that was selling the
>laserdisks to owners of Atari ST computers for a similar project.
>Does anyone know where I could come across these disks or disks from
>any other similar laserdisk game (Dragon's Lair II, Space Ace, etc..)?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.  E-Mail if you like..

Interestingly enough this has already been done. There was a demo of
Amigavision at this year's AmiExpo in Anaheim and the guy who demoed
it had done this. It was a fully implemented version of the game
using the original laserdisc and Amigavision. It seemed to work as
well as the arcade game. The only difference was that instead of
joystick control you had to click on one of four "direction arrows"
on the screen with the mouse.

I don't remember the guy's name who demoed it, but I believe he is
the editor of Amiga World. I do remember however that he said
it took him a LOOOOOONG time to track down and get a hold of the
original laserdisk.

Good Luck.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) (12/10/90)

In article <10715@helios.TAMU.EDU> n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) writes:

>When Amiga Vision had been released, one of the guys at Amiga World did
>exactly what you are suggesting (Don't remeber what issue it was though)

It was the November '90 issue.

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)

set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) (12/11/90)

Dragons Lair.  I would also like the address to revieve a disk.  May be we
can put our heads together and make our own version of Dragons Lair. Good
Suggestion for using Amiga Vision.  Would their be any problem with this
process ?

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<->                                                                     <->
<->    AMIGA MAN         ///          **** Kansas State University **** <->
<->                     ///            * Email set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu * <->
<-> :-) :-) :-)        ///             * Phone (913)-776-5027 Home *    <->
<-> :-) :-) :-)    \\\///              * Phone (913)-539-7283 Modem *   <->
<-> :-) :-) :-)     \\//                                                <->
<->                  \/                                                 <->
<->                             And Justice For All ... - Metallica     <->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.173359.23706@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>,
set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) writes...

>Dragons Lair.  I would also like the address to revieve a disk.  May be we
>can put our heads together and make our own version of Dragons Lair. Good
>Suggestion for using Amiga Vision.  Would their be any problem with this
>process ?

     I don't see any problem.  Apparently, the editor of AmigaWorld
has already done the same thing!  From what I can see, AmigaVision's
main task would be driving the laserdisk.  After that, it is simply a
game of timing!  Granted, it would take a bit of time to go through
EACH and EVERY room that was in the original and figure out all the
correct moves and the timing for the moves, but beyond that, the
project doesn't seem TOO complicated.
     I think it would be WELL worth it!  I was a AVID fan of all those
laserdisk games that were so short-lived, and would love to be able to
play it again!  Ah well...perhaps we can bring back the dead, on the
Amiga! 8-)

                           INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.173359.23706@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>,
set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) writes...
>Dragons Lair.  I would also like the address to revieve a disk.  May be we
>can put our heads together and make our own version of Dragons Lair. Good
>Suggestion for using Amiga Vision.  Would their be any problem with this
>process ?

I read in AmigaWorld (a couple of issues ago) that someone there HAS done this
with AmigaVision.

I guess they all you need is, 1) the origonal Dragon's Lair disk (or any of
those type of games), 2) a laser disk player that is controlable through a
serial port, and 3) an Amiga running AmigaVision.

I wonder if the guy at AmigaWorld would mind releasing his 'flow' code from
AmigaVision?

|    /// Only Amiga makes it possible!    | Music: Anything but slop 40       |
|\\\///  Macintosh: pseudo productivity   | Beer: Sam Adams Boston Lager      |
| \XX/   OS/2: half an operating system   | Major: Mechanical Engineering     |
|Steve | owen@euclid.enet.dec.com(Now-Dec)| "Cool your jets man!"-Bart takes  |
|Owen  | sowen@lynx.northeastern.edu(Jan+)|  Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics |