[comp.sys.amiga.games] Harpoon mystery

giao@informix.com (Giao Tien Vu) (12/11/90)

Last night, while playing the Keflavik fortress scenario, I got into
this situation and could not figure out what's wrong with my strategy.
I'm wondering if I have stumbled upon a bug with the game (wild guess,
that's all!):

After massacring the Soviet bombers (why didn't the computer sends
some escorts?  The heavy bombers were just like sitting ducks for
the F16s to test air-to-air missiles), the E-3s starts picking
up signals from the Soviet fleet and a few Hormones circling it.
I jumped at the oppotunity and sent a few plane groups to intercept
the fleet, hoping to repeat the success in the previous scenario.
The problem was that, suddenly, the fleet seemed to disappear.
I got two E-3s circling the general area (with some distance, of course)
one at high altitude, one at medium altitude, all surface sensors turned
on , but could not find the fleet!  The attack planes flew at low and
medium altitude, surface sensors on, could not find the target (only
found a lone Hormone in the sky in the general area) and got all shot down
by missiles appearing from nowhere.  Feeling frustrated fighting with
an enemy that just acquired Klingon cloaking device :-), I gave up (after
saving the game, of course).

Am I missing anything here?  Do I need to bring the E-3s in closer (they
were making a circle of 300nm in diameter)?  The search for the Soviet
fleet in the previous scenario was so much easier that I thought that
I should have, at least, situated the much larger Soviet fleet.

The reason why I suspected of a bug was that, I tried this scenario before
(and lost disastrously!).  In that game, I was able to pick up air and
surface groups from afar with the E-3s with much more ease.

Thanks,

Giao

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec10.205437.21275@informix.com> giao@informix.com (Giao Tien Vu) writes:
>by missiles appearing from nowhere.  Feeling frustrated fighting with
>an enemy that just acquired Klingon cloaking device :-), I gave up (after

Now, that's funny...

>Am I missing anything here?  Do I need to bring the E-3s in closer (they
>were making a circle of 300nm in diameter)?  The search for the Soviet

Very tight turning radius...  Army might want to know about this...

"Sir, we've invented this new aircraft that can turn on a dime."
"Don't be silly son, we already have one that can turn on a proton."

Just trying to liven up someone's day.

AMH
* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)

In <77652@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>In article <1990Dec10.205437.21275@informix.com> giao@informix.com (Giao Tien Vu) writes:
>>by missiles appearing from nowhere.  Feeling frustrated fighting with
>>an enemy that just acquired Klingon cloaking device :-), I gave up (after
>
>Now, that's funny...
>
>>Am I missing anything here?  Do I need to bring the E-3s in closer (they
>>were making a circle of 300nm in diameter)?  The search for the Soviet
>
>Very tight turning radius...  Army might want to know about this...
>
>"Sir, we've invented this new aircraft that can turn on a dime."
>"Don't be silly son, we already have one that can turn on a proton."
>
>Just trying to liven up someone's day.

Sure livened up mine.  I didn't get it at all until I suddenly realized you
might be speaking on 'nanometers', while the author is (obviously, to anyone
who flies or sails) speaking of nautical miles.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.