[comp.sys.amiga.games] Two Button Joysticks

Moriland@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/11/90)

	Someone mentioned a while back about the desire/need for two
button joystick support on the Amiga. I agree. As of late I've been
working on a small routine that will read all three buttons from a Sega
Genesis Joypad/stick. Once completed, I plan to mail a copy of that routine
along with a letter explaining why I am sending it and why I am letting
them have the source code to all the game companies I can think with the
request that they USE IT to make games which will use the second and third
buttons on Genesis style controller.

	My reasons for chosing the Sega Genesis joypad are the facts that
it already works well with Amiga games and two of the three buttons can be read
as though they were normal left and right mouse buttons. With the addition
of the third button being a matter of finding the right registers. With the
more than AMPLE number of stores selling Genesis Joypads there's no reason why
every Amiga owner who wants one can't buy one. After awhile with joypads
selling like mad you'll see the third party stick makers start making
compatable sticks. IF the game companies will use the code it should be only
a matter of time before things move around to a two or three button set up for
the Amiga.

Maybe I'm crazy, but maybe it will work...
						-Moriland

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (12/12/90)

Moriland@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) writes:

>	Someone mentioned a while back about the desire/need for two
>button joystick support on the Amiga. I agree. As of late I've been
>working on a small routine that will read all three buttons from a Sega
>Genesis Joypad/stick. Once completed, I plan to mail a copy of that routine
>along with a letter explaining why I am sending it and why I am letting
>them have the source code to all the game companies I can think with the
>request that they USE IT to make games which will use the second and third
>buttons on Genesis style controller.

This is a GREAT idea.  You might also want to make the routines able to read
secondary input.  That is, the spacebar does the same thing as button B, the
alt key does the same thing as button C.  Or if you want to go the Hybris
route, spinning the joystick while holding down the spacebar and singing the
Dutch national anthem does the same thing as button C.

>Maybe I'm crazy, but maybe it will work...

Let me know if you need another crazyman to help.  I'm curious to how you are
reading Genesis Button C.  I tried to find the pins it was connected to once,
but I was unable to (I didn't go as far as ripping the stick apart).

--
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/12/90)

	Well, I still haven't worked out button C yet. As it stands now I have
a friend who repairs Genesis machines for a living who probably has some
spare schematics he's going to lend me. That should help. My biggest
problem is that I am a relative newbie to programming the Amiga in C so I'm
just now learning all of this stuff. Hopefully I will have it done soon. I
like the idea of adding in support for alternate keyboard keys (Spacebar, Alt,
etc) and will write that in. I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to go
along with it especially if someone has done the work for them for free...

				-Moriland