[comp.sys.amiga.games] Enchanter

sag@dbsm.oz.au (Steve Gillet Account 2) (12/06/90)

	I've just started with the Infocom adventure games.

	after three days at enchanter I have

		obtained the scroll from the machine room
		removed the scroll from the egg
		survived death a on the sacrifical altar
		etc....

		using one spell I can open the door to the map room
		and solve the dungeon ....

	my Question

		what do I do with the black candle
		after summoning the adventurer what does he want
		how do I open the map room door without using "dispel magic" (one shot)
		who do I turn into an frog

	This info or hints would be much appreciated

	Thanx
		Saggy.

--
<sag@thor.dbsm.oz.au> Voice +61-2-258-2058

forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu (Michael Scott Forbes) (12/07/90)

Possible spoiler ahead, so...

sag@dbsm.oz.au (Steve Gillet Account 2) writes:

>I've just started with the Infocom adventure games.

>my Question

>	how do I open the map room door without using "dispel magic" (one shot)

From the manual:  "Magic spells are dangerous things, particularly to wizards.
Wizards' heightened abilities in this realm carry the penalty of heightened
sensitivity to spells cast by others.  Sometimes a spell which a mundane person
would not even notice will have a profound effect upon you."

>	after summoning the adventurer what does he want

The adventurer is a rather mundane fellow, isn't he?  ;-)

E-mail if you want a more direct hint, but try to solve it from there.
It's one of the funnier puzzles in the game.

Scott Forbes			Somewhere in a higher dimension of which we
strustee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu	know nothing, the mighty Khan bellowed with rage

jpollock@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec6.045346.20553@dbsm.oz.au>, sag@dbsm.oz.au (Steve Gillet Account 2) writes:
>                          SUBTLE SPOILERS AHEAD
> 	I've just started with the Infocom adventure games.
>
> 	after three days at enchanter I have
>
> 		obtained the scroll from the machine room
> 		removed the scroll from the egg
> 		survived death a on the sacrifical altar
> 		etc....
is this to say that you removed the scroll whole, or in pieces?

 		using one spell I can open the door to the map room
 		and solve the dungeon ....

You don't need a spell to open the door, unless you want to waste one....
maybe someone could give you a hand......

> 	my Question
>
> 		what do I do with the black candle
> 		after summoning the adventurer what does he want
> 		how do I open the map room door without using "dispel magic" (one shot)
> 		who do I turn into an frog

the black candle is not needed 'cause in your spell book you have a spell for
light....however I wouldn't use it on anything you need to carry.....
was the spell "ozmoo"?
As for the frog question, you don't need that for awhile.  However, some subtle
suggestions:
get some rest, literally!
visit the ocean because an ally is there....
don't use spells unless you're ABSOLUTELY sure there's nothing else you can do.

Incidentally, if you ever play Zork, you'll realize that the adventurer in
Enchanter is you in Zork!  He has a glowing sword, just like you have in Zork.
But remember...if the adventurer is "you" in Zork II, he'll behave in ways that
you would behave if you were him....

Jpollock@eagle.wesleyan.edu

sag@dbsm.oz.au (Steve Gillet Account 2) (12/12/90)

Yes, It's that time of day again !

When I post another irritating help request for my delver trapped in Enchanter.

The Story so far.

	I was born in a little run down shack, my seven brothers and

	eight sisters ......

Well to cut the story short

	Enchanter

		I have :

			moved the portrait

			survived death at the temple

			cracked open the egg

			persuaded the turtle to get the scroll from the machine room

			summoned the adventurer, who opened the guarded door

			turned him into a frog (for payment, see above)

			taken the scroll of power from the dungeon

		To complete the adventure I believe that I only need to

			cast dispel magic on the stair case

			fly somewhere (up or down)

			turn the wiz into a frog or banish him to another existance

		My Problem

			I can't fly

		I have the following unused Items

			The black candle (from behind the lighted portrait)

			The firework scroll (from the map room)

			The silver spoon (from the dungeon cell)

		I thought that the Library contained another spell or that one of

		the many bones was actually a scroll tube. (I must be mistaken)

	Flight lessons would be a great help

		Thanx

			Saggy (The Happy Delver)

--
<sag@thor.dbsm.oz.au> Voice +61-2-258-2058

forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu (Michael Scott Forbes) (12/12/90)

sag@dbsm.oz.au (Steve Gillet Account 2) writes:

>Yes, It's that time of day again !
>When I post another irritating help request for my delver trapped in Enchanter.

Spoilers approacheth...

>To complete the adventure I believe that I only need to
>	cast dispel magic on the stair case
>	fly somewhere (up or down)
>	turn the wiz into a frog or banish him to another existance

>My Problem
>	I can't fly

Have you *tried* casting KULCAD on the staircase?
Have you tried casting KULCAD while *standing* on the staircase?  (hint hint)

P.S.:  Don't bother wasting time trying to turn Krill into a frog...

Scott Forbes			Somewhere in a higher dimension of which we
strustee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu	know nothing, the mighty Khan bellowed with rage

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (12/13/90)

	I think that the Library does have a scroll.  Check out the rodent
tracks on the floor.  They must lead somewhere, right?