[comp.sys.amiga.games] Ultima 5 for Amiga - Don't buy it

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/29/90)

How disappointing...:-(

After two long years of waiting for Ultima V to come out for the Amiga I'm
really disappointed with it.  Here are a few things which make it a terrible
version:

Copy protected out the wazoo. (Hence not HD installable)

Doesn't seem to recognise anything above 512k

Disk access is horrendous...seems like every other move and it loads something.
(not to mention access is slooooooow)

Only ONE TUNE???!? Oh please.  The variety of music is what I loved about the
Ultimas.  It plays this one tune during the whole game.

No sound effects (haven't found any anyway)

Keyboard input routines are very sloppy.  Have to press a key two or three
times to get a response.

Movement is also very slow.

What I'd like to know is what the hell were they thinking when they released
this trash?  They've been promising the Amiga community a version of Ultima
5 for almost two years and this is the best they can do?  How did the
quality go down from Ultima III?

My advice to you is to not even consider buying this game.  If you own another
computer besides an Amiga buy it for that other platform.  The IIgs and
C-64 versions are MUCH better.  Origin has slapped Amiga users in the
face once again.  Well, enough ranting from an angry Ultima fan, anyone
else agree with me?

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (11/29/90)

In article <27125.2753dd5a@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
says:

>computer besides an Amiga buy it for that other platform.  The IIgs and
>C-64 versions are MUCH better.  Origin has slapped Amiga users in the
>face once again.  Well, enough ranting from an angry Ultima fan, anyone
>else agree with me?

Yes, I do. By the way, a friend of mine and I fixed the keyboard routines
to do buffering so it doesn't lose keystrokes. Also sometime when I get the
time I'll make a version that loads completely into memory (or my friend will).
I might consider selling the result to Origin if they apologize for putting
this garbage on the market in the first place. :-(

-- Dan Babcock

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (11/29/90)

I agree completely!!! It's an insult to all amiga-owners as well as one of the
sloppiest pieces of code I have ever seen.

Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (12/01/90)

>   Origin has slapped Amiga users in the
> face once again.  Well, enough ranting from an angry Ultima fan, anyone
> else agree with me?

I've seen Ultima IV for the Amiga.  Looked like it was coded in LOGO.
What is with that man?  Rumor has it that Ultima 6 will be better,
because a nice version will be made for CDTV, which will be ported to
the Amiga.

Mike Shapiro
ms0p@andrew.cmu.edu
I don't live in fantasy; I only work there.

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (12/03/90)

In article <YbJes=e00VpBA5RlZW@andrew.cmu.edu>, Michael Gordon Shapiro writes:

> >   Origin has slapped Amiga users in the
> > face once again.  Well, enough ranting from an angry Ultima fan, anyone
> > else agree with me?
>
> I've seen Ultima IV for the Amiga.  Looked like it was coded in LOGO.
> What is with that man?  Rumor has it that Ultima 6 will be better,
> because a nice version will be made for CDTV, which will be ported to
> the Amiga.

One thing to remember about the Ultima series of RPGs, the graphics
have always sucked, but the game play is excellent!

I tried Ultima VI on a pee cee. Origin had "improved" the graphics
so much, that the game was unplayable on an XT w/o a hard drive!

Bottom line: Graphics are great, but the underlying game is just as
important (if not more). If Ultima VI for the Amiga plays as well as
Ultima V did on the pee cee, then I will buy it. If it is all graphics
flash, and no substance, then forget it.

> Mike Shapiro
> ms0p@andrew.cmu.edu
> I don't live in fantasy; I only work there.
These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) (12/05/90)

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> Yes, I do. By the way, a friend of mine and I fixed the keyboard routines
> to do buffering so it doesn't lose keystrokes. Also sometime when I get the
> time I'll make a version that loads completely into memory (or my friend will
> I might consider selling the result to Origin if they apologize for putting
> this garbage on the market in the first place. :-(
>
> -- Dan Babcock

Any chance you'd release your patches to the general public?  From what I've
seen of Ultima 5 it really needs these modifications...  It's a very good
idea - but PLEASE don't keep it to yourself!
                                Thanks
                                Diogenes
                                Searching the Nets for
                                Truth, Justice, and
                                The American Way

tm2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd L. Masco) (12/11/90)

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) writes:
> Any chance you'd release your patches to the general public?  From what I've
> seen of Ultima 5 it really needs these modifications...  It's a very good
> idea - but PLEASE don't keep it to yourself!

Seconded.  Origin's extremely unlikely to pay you anything for the
patch -- make a name for yourself, and release the patch to the Net!
--
Todd L. Masco   |  tm2b+@{andrew.cmu.edu,andrew.bitnet}  |  "Boxes."

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (12/12/90)

In article <UbMw2Su00WB9AJZ9dS@andrew.cmu.edu>, tm2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd L.
Masco) says:

>diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) writes:
>> Any chance you'd release your patches to the general public?  From what I've
>> seen of Ultima 5 it really needs these modifications...  It's a very good
>> idea - but PLEASE don't keep it to yourself!

>Seconded.  Origin's extremely unlikely to pay you anything for the
>patch -- make a name for yourself, and release the patch to the Net!

I'm not trying to hog it or anything. The problem is that I haven't figured
out a reasonable way to distribute it (short of distributing the whole game).
It's fairly difficult. Of course if you send me some blanks I'll make you a
copy, but obviously I can't make that a general offer! :-)

-- Dan Babcock

Radagast@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (12/13/90)

how about a hex diff listing.  Did you add any new hunks or does the
code fit in the same memory space.  If the latter, the diffs file
should be manageably small.  The only other alternative is a program
to make the mods, (or maybe a list of things to do complex though
they may be.) -kls