[comp.sys.amiga.games] Sports Games

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (12/17/90)

I hope Im not one out of 1000 but Im really heavily into sports games. I
remember playing Hardball a few years ago and loved it <when I was still using
my 128D and playing the commodore 64 version of it>

what games would you reccomend to me <other than TV sports basketball or
football?> in the following sports:

Basketball
Football
Baseball <is hardball II cool?>
Hockey <is wayne gretsky's really good or just hype?>
Wrestling <???? any games?>
Boxing

reply either via email or net, it doesnt matter. thanks

 o                             o   | This Space For Rent                     //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Amerikkka's Most Wanted               \X/
/>                             <\  | I made up my own mind, now I want a Tshirt
Chi Omega Rho Fraternity. Because Co-Ed is better.

watters@boa.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec17.072109.23117@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo) writes:
>what games would you reccomend to me <other than TV sports basketball or
>football?> in the following sports:
>
>Basketball

TV sports is about all that's worth it.

>Football

Gridiron.  NOT TV sports!  NOT Mondaynight football!
 John Madden on the Genesis is a blast.

>Baseball <is hardball II cool?>

Earl Weaver.

>Hockey <is wayne gretsky's really good or just hype?>
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes.  Gretsky II is coming out on the IBM?!?!

--
Due to the shape of the North American Elk's esophagus, even if it could speak,
it could not pronounce the word "lasagna!" - Cliff Clavin, `Cheers'

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (12/18/90)

In article <86805@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> watters@boa.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) writes:

>In article <1990Dec17.072109.23117@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo) writes:
>>what games would you reccomend to me <other than TV sports basketball or
>>football?> in the following sports:
>>
>>Basketball
>
>TV sports is about all that's worth it.
>
>>Football
>
>Gridiron.  NOT TV sports!  NOT Mondaynight football!
>John Madden on the Genesis is a blast.

I used to have an Amiga.  I am planning on picking up a 500 to play
games.  (I Just bought a Genesis and sent it back; the game play was
unimpressive.)  I also am really into sports games, and fondly recall
Earl Weaver on my amiga (I used to have a 1000) as the best baseball
game I ever played, overall.

However, though JMF for Genesis has a nice interface, it is WAY too
easy.  I played it for about 2 weeks, and the first time I played in
the playoffs I took the championship.  Since that time until I
returned it, I played dozens of playoffs, with a wide variety of teams
(from good to shitty), and failed to win the championshgip only once.
The game is just too damn easy.  Some other problems: no real league
play, poor stat collection, no injuries, defense TOO EASY.

However, I have to give gridiron some bad marks as well (based on my
ownership of the game some years ago): graphics are X's and O's,
top-down, it is EASY to beat with a certain play (I think it's a fly
pattern, but it';s been years...), the sound FX are minimal by
todays's standards.

>>Baseball <is hardball II cool?>
>
>Earl Weaver.
>
>>Hockey <is wayne gretsky's really good or just hype?>
>Yes.  Gretsky II is coming out on the IBM?!?!

Anyway, just wanted to echo your sentiments.  Sports games arte my
passion.  Enough for me to buy an Amiga (can't get 'em on my Mac!)

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California