[comp.sys.amiga.games] Need help with Captive!

edg@ingres.com (Ed Goldman) (12/06/90)

Hi,

I'm stuck very early in this game:

I've landed on planet Butre (the initial hint in the manual says to go the HQ
there first).  I've explored all the area that can be walked on at the landing
site, then I've opened the door near where the lander is.  I go thru this
door and soon get to a very short corridor.  The corridor has the explosives
(which I pick up), a door at one end and an electrical outlet.  How do you
get out of here?!  Can't open the door!  There seems to be something special
about the wall at the opposite end, but throwing electricity, butting it,
hitting it don't seem to help.

I've also tried landing randomly at various planets, but every direction is
always blocked.

Is there some item I'm missing that will get me out of that damned corridor?

TIA,

-edg-

kimpao@cadence.com (Kim Pao; x6249) (12/15/90)

To: yuena@dsp
Subject: Re: Romance of the 3 Kingdoms
Newsgroups: rec.games.misc
Bcc:

In article <5630@dsp> you write:

>     You are right to select a place which have a lot of metal to increase
>the "arm level" of your soliders.  I found that it is also important to
>select the hero who has excellent physical body.  It happened once that
>I select scenario 3 and be hero Yuan Shao.  By the time I just have enough
>power to start to invade, he died.  All my generals's loyaly went down a
>lot, I waste almost 1 year to boost up their loyualy to 100% (once your
>are in 100%, you are almost do not have to worry they will defect) and
>waste all the savings of gold.  But then his son, his successor that I
>have chosen, Yuan Shang' health deteriorates quickly and died.  I have to
>reselect someone again, not to mention I need almost another year to
>boost up their loyalty.  I was lucky because I had build up a strong army
>that no one dares to invade me until I almost use up my money to boost
>the generals' loyalty.
>     Some hints of playing R3K from my experiences are:
>1. At the start of the game, start recruiting:
>	a. the first one must be someone who has intelligence above 90%
>	   so that he could give you advise on every move.  At the beginning
>	   of the game, most generals do not have 100 % loyalty, and therefore,
>	   the successful rate is very high even if you are playing at the
>	   computer strenght of level 10 (the highest).
>           The best choices are Jia Xu, Guo Jia, Sima Yi, Zhuge Liang,
>	   Zhang Zhang, Zhang Lu.

        Actually there are a lot more high IQ generals than the ones
        you've mentioned.  Also, use generals with high luck points
        to do searches.  If you fail for a few times, chances are
        that there are no more free generals in that state.  Usually
        free generals are "binded" to their home states.  For example,
        you won't find Zhuge Liang in the north (I think his home
        state is either 37 or 38) or Guo Jia in the south (7?).  You
        can also increase the IQ of your general by giving them books
        (provided that they are not governors and the governor of that
        state has an IQ at least 2 more than him).

        Another thing you can do is start gathering money during the
        first year and then recruit generals (if you have a general
        whose power is above 90 or one with higher power).  Then you
        have built up a large enough army to completely overwhelm
        your neighbours.  Then make sure you have your enemy cornered
        (so that he has no state to retreat to) and then charge him.
        All his generals will become yours.  Of course you don't want
        to kill the generals whom you think may be useful (those with
        high IQ or those with high Power).  By killing an opponent
        master, your general's power would increase by 10.  Killing an
        opponent general would add three to your general's power
        rating.  I used my generals in such a way that I manage to
        accumulate quite a few 100 power generals.  Incidentally, in
        Nintendo version, I think the "charge" command is not available.

>	b. the second one is the governor of your enemies which next to you.
>	   Best choices are Xiahou Dun, Xiahou Yuan.  You must have to
>	   do that at the very beginning of the game.  Once you recruit them
>	   their states become yours, and you must immediately send a general
>	   who has high loyalty and charisma to the defected state, otherwise
>	   your enemies may recruit it back.  By sending your general with
>	   high loyalty and charisma, your original general will become
>           the governor of that state.  Then you can give money to the defected
>	   general to boost up their loyalty.  Since it is at the begining
>	   of the game, not too many heros are "rich" enough and have enough
>	   soldiers to invade you, so you are quite safe.  If you could
>	   recruit more governor from your enemies, you build up a buffer
>	   zone  between you and them.  You then able to cultivate or prvent
>	   flood or search for money.

        Usually I find loyalty above 60 to be okay (I found out that I
        usually can't recruit opponent generals once their loyalty goes
        above 60).  Spreading rumors would help reduce the loyalty of
        enemy generals.  You can also designate the governor of a
        state when it is the turn of your hero.  So you can send a
        general with relatively low charisma and high loyalty to a
        state if you want to save bucks.  For useless generals (low
        power, low IQ, low luck), I generally take their armies away
        from them and my enemies can have them if I have enough
        generals around.

>2. Pay attention to the level of rice and size of your neighbor enemies.  Even
>   if they have huge size of soldiers, if you find his rice is very low, go
>   invade them.  Just send 2 generals will be enough. Once you are there,
>   just keep burning to avoid fighting with them.  Eventually their ricee
>    will be gone.  If their gold level is down under 50, you can also invade
>    them, when gold is gone, you win.

        Yup.  Another thing you can do is to invade a state with
        overwhelming force and empty your own state, bringing all
        your rice and gold with you.  Now if your opponent retreats
        to the state you've just emptied and if you have that state
        surrounded, he becomes basically a sitting duck.

>3.  Two intelligent generals should be sit side by side during war.  One can
>    trick the enemy, the other one then burn the enemy that have been tricked.
>    The tricked enemy will have zero mobility and either burn to death or
>    retreat, sometime you can catch him when he try to retreat.
>    You will be better off to increase these 2 intelligent generals's arm
>    level.  Otherwise, if enemies do simultaneous attack or charge, you
>    soldiers will decrease rapidly.

        Hmm, I suppose intelligent generals could be use that way.  I
        generally find them to be valuable commodities and try to keep
        them from direct confrontation.  This is an interesting point.

>4.  Someone told me that if 2 generals sit together, even your enemies
>    had tricked you, your mobility may not go down to zero, and therefore,
>    you may be able to escape from burning.  It occassionally work.  I

        Never tried this before.

>5.  If you require to empty your state to invade someone, remember when
>    you are about to win and near the end of the war ie. 28th of the month,
>    retreat one of your general to the empty state, otherewise, the enemies
>    will have empty state to retreat.  If they have no state to retreat, they
>    will be caught by you.

        See above.

>6.  For general with low intelligence, you could boost his intelliegence by
>    giving him book.  It works.  Once your discover his intelligence stop
>    moving up, stop giving book, wait for about a year, it will go up again.

        Is that right?

>6. To improve general's power, you must let him finish off the enemies general.
>   let say your enemy general's soldier went down to only few hundreds and
>   your intelligent general but with only power of 18 still have more than 2
>   times soldiers, you can either charge him or attack him, if this general
>   is the last one who finishes off this enemy soldiers, his power will be
>    increase by at  least 3.

        See above.

>7. You need jade seal when you have conqured the who country, if you are
>    the successor of the original selected hero.  Otherwise, you can never
>    become the emporer.  Normally the jade seal is in central China.  Do not
>    try to find it before you conqured the whole country.  I do not wnat to
>    tell you which state have the jade seal, have fun to find it out.

        It is usually in ....  Well, I'll give out a hint.  Check out
        the regional descriptions.

>8.  If you are good enough, try scenario 3, get the highest computer strength,
>    and to select hero Ma Tang.  You sure have fun to conquer the whole country.    I found that it is the most diffcult scenario that I have ever tried.  I

        Hmm, I thought Ma Teng should have a clear path to Central
        China.  All it takes is for him to get closer to the big
        party and finish off a hero or two in the early going.

>9.  At the beginning of the game, it will be better off to select "view" the
>    computer move, in this case, you are able to see whether there is any
>    good generals have been captured.  If it does, you can recruit them
>    immediately.  Their loyalty of the captured general by another enemey
>	   will be quite high!

        Too bad this option is too slow for my stupid XT at home 8-(

>     I FOUND THAT THIS GAME IS THE MOST PLAYFUL THAT I EVER PLAY.  I RATE IT
>     10, yes ten!!!!  I hope somebody could share someone experiences with
>     all the R3K fans.

        You got it.  Have you tried other Koei games?

        Now a question of my own....

        Where do you find "beautiful women".  Yeah, gotto boost the
        morale of my generals by improving their social lives.  8-)
        Actually I suspect that it would be a lot easier to recruit
        stubborn generals with women than a dumb horse.

        A little historical perspective for the non-asian R3K fans out
        there:  R3K is actually Koei's adaptation of one of China's
        four best novels.  It is based on what actually happened in
        China in the period immediately after the Han dynasty (around
        200 AD, of course).  The actual hero from the author's point
        of view is Liu Bei.  He is (actually questionably so) the
        uncle of the last Han emperor.  The main part of the story is
        about him and the kingdom that he built.  Koei actually
        adapted another great Chinese novel -- "Heroes of the
        Marshes(?)".  The other two novels cannot be adapted for
        this type of wargames.

-- Kim Pao

kimpao@cadence.com (Kim Pao; x6249) writes:

>        Where do you find "beautiful women".  Yeah, gotto boost the
>        morale of my generals by improving their social lives.  8-)

Well, for starters, you could visit Koei's home office and try to get a
date with the sales representative they sent to FAUG's last meeting to
demo Bandit Kings of Ancient China. The lady was very, very easy on the
eyes! ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.
Confusing games with reality again, or playing life for all it's worth, one.