[comp.sys.amiga.games] C-Robots

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (07/06/90)

I have an old version of C-Robots, but I've heard rumours  of  something
new.   Can  someone  point  me  to  an FTP site that contains the newest
version?
--
|    //   Amiga Student on Campus Consultant   Jules Cisek     I do think |
|  \X/   Computing Services Center Consultant  SUNYA, NY USA   it's good! |

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (07/10/90)

Sorry  to  be bothering again, but I got pointed to several places where
the newest C-Robots might reside, and found it not.  So, if there  is  a
helpful  netter  somewhere  out  there,  maybe someone could send me the
UUENCODED game through e-mail.  Not only am  I  interested  in  the  new
version, my old one died several days ago.

--

brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) (07/12/90)

In article <3290@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:

>I have an old version of C-Robots, but I've heard rumours  of  something
>new.   Can  someone  point  me  to  an FTP site that contains the newest
>version?

..... can someone point ME to the proper version of ARP so I can run
this? I have the most recent fish disk version I can find installed, and
it still tells me "You must have ARP V.34 or higher to run this
program".

  Brian Bishop

    a.k.a. brian@grebyn.com

--

90's pickup line: "Hey baby, what's your net address?"

gt0655b@prism.gatech.EDU (gt0655b gt0655b HAARBAUER,ERIC STOWE) (12/15/90)

Does anyone have any C-Robots that they haven't put on USENET?
I've just gotten back into the game after finals, and I'm ravenous
for new robots, especially since I saw a bunch in the IBM P-Robots
that claim to have been converted from C-Robots that I don't have.
I have a few that I'll put up after I tweak them during winter break.

Or, does anyone know where a C-Robots archive of extra bots is?
Or of CoreWars viruses, for that matter?
Or has anyone seen P-Robots for Amiga (yes, that's Pascal robots)?
Or does anyone know where UNIX X-Robots is, or source for same?
Iron ore?
Orida?
Oriface?
Ork?

Au rivoir....

--
HAARBAUER,ERIC STOWE                 "Consciousness is an accident."
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30655, Atlanta, GA  30332

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (12/16/90)

In article <18730@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0655b@prism.gatech.EDU (gt0655b gt0655b HAARBAUER,ERIC STOWE) writes:
>Does anyone have any C-Robots that they haven't put on USENET?

  I have a couple I worked on for a few weeks, but I never really perfected
them and I don't have time to continue for the moment.  I'll send them to
you if you like (I commented the source) but they still have some limitations.

  First was Berserker, which I worked on for quite a long while.  My big plan
with all these robots was to have an infallible targeting system.  It would
anticipate where the enemy would be and lead the shots.  Among other things,
which I won't give out at the moment... anyway, Berserker did very well except
that the target acquisition routine was too slow.  I was running tests of it
against a rabbit (a simple moving target) at 25% and performance was acceptable
(I thought) but when I bumped Rabbit up to 75% speed, the targeting became
so slow that it would only fire once every 30 seconds or so!  It hit EVERY
SINGLE TIME, no matter what, unless the rabbit changed direction AFTER the
shot was released, but it didn't fire often enough and due to some sloppiness
in the wall-avoidance code it would generally do damage to itself faster than
to the inert target... (boy, how embarrasing to lose to a target...)  It was
real nice to see it hit a moving target at near-maximum range, though.

  After four total rewrites of Berserker, I gave up and began work on
Crackshot.  I never did get some of those "other features" of Berserker
working right so I needed a different name if I was to start over.  Crackshot
had a good, basic movement algorithm which kept it in range of most of the
board while changing direction often enough to confound enemy fire (I hoped).
I began a new approach to the targeting routines, sacrificing a little of
the accuracy to gain a whole lot of speed (also, reliability - Berserker took
a while to recover if it lost track of the enemy).  Again, initial success
until I ran into a rather fundamental coding problem which my mind isn't
flexible enough to go around.  Hard to explain, but I sorta wrote myself
into a corner with regards to the initial lock portion of the algorithm.
Anyway, Crackshot can beat some of the weaker fighting robots which is
a darned sight better than Berserker... but it's still limited.

  If I ever get one working right, with my targeting algorithms working
as well as they have so far (and with bugs removed), I've not seen any
robot included in the game nor posted here to c.s.a.games which would have
a chance against it.  Target anticipation is a very powerful technique, and
it's just amazing how you can peg some fast-moving enemy from more than
halfway across the arena.

>Or has anyone seen P-Robots for Amiga (yes, that's Pascal robots)?

  Yeep.... not sure if I WANT to see this one!

>Or does anyone know where UNIX X-Robots is, or source for same?

  Now this would be nice on a 3000UX...  (which, BTW, I just got "Provisional
Hardware Specification" sheets on, and pricing info, and was going to post
the spoilers until I found out that it's shipping...)

                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>
--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|

sag@dbsm.oz.au (Steve Gillet Account 2) (12/20/90)

This is just a little robot I whipped up.

>------------------

/* MOUSER.R */

main()
	{