[comp.sys.amiga.games] Review of Star Control From Accolade

bhua_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Bobby Huang) (12/02/90)

<Eat this>

I just got Star Control by Accolade and I am amazed. It is worth every cent
I paid for it.

Game concept: The Heirachy is trying to gain control of the universe. The
Alliance must defend the Universe from Hierarchy aggression.

Arcade action: Blast the other guy into space dust using any of
fourteen different ships(seven for each side).

Strategic planning: Colonize, fortify, and mine worlds to ultimately gain
control of the universe.

Overall gameplay: excellent.

Technical aspects:
	Graphics are good.
	Sounds are great. (DOGI's bark and whine).
	HD installable.
	Code-Wheel copy protection.
	requires one meg.
	will work on A3000.
	does not multitask.

Siskel and Ebert give two thumbs up.

Bobby Huang <bhua_cif@cc.rochester.edu>

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (12/03/90)

In article <10745@ur-cc.UUCP> bhua_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Bobby Huang) writes:

><Eat this>
>

>I just got Star Control by Accolade and I am amazed. It is worth every cent
>I paid for it.
>
> [ Summary/Positive Review of Star Control ]
>
>Technical aspects:
>	Graphics are good.
>	Sounds are great. (DOGI's bark and whine).
>	HD installable.
>	Code-Wheel copy protection.

This is done the *right* way -- you only have to enter it once, upon
entering the game, and not all over the place (like StarFlight or Wings).

>	requires one meg.
>	will work on A3000.

I found a little bug that only seems to show up under 2.0 on my 3000.
Try pitting the Quan Dreadnought against the Alliance's kami-kaze ship,
and have a computer-player run both sides.  Everything goes into
slow-motion.  I'd appreciate if someone else running 2.0 (KS 2.02, actually)
could confirm this...  Under 1.3.2, it worked fine.

>	does not multitask.

It doesn't multi-task, but it does seem to free everything up politely when
you exit the game, so a reboot isn't required.

>Siskel and Ebert give two thumbs up.

I agree.  One of the authors of this game (somebody Reiche III) also worked
on Archon & Archon II, and it shows.  There is a sort of similarity in
the game play -- a strategic component, followed by an arcade component,
and the fact that certain ships are well-suited to take on certain other
ships, but are deadmeat against others.  I think this game will have a lot
of staying power.

	Nancy

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
uunet!tegra!nad       | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) (12/06/90)

> One of the authors of this game (somebody Reiche III) also worked
> on Archon & Archon II, and it shows.  There is a sort of similarity in
> the game play -- a strategic component, followed by an arcade component,
> and the fact that certain ships are well-suited to take on certain other
> ships, but are deadmeat against others.
One key difference I noted between Archon and Star Control is that you
don't have to be as much of a "joystick jockey" to get started with
Star Control.  I could never beat the computer in Archon and since I did
not play Archon with a human player, I gave up.  Star Control seems much
friendlier.  [Star Control has three ratings for the computer, and I am
playing the "wimp" computer.]  I think it is a great game.

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (12/07/90)

elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) writes:
>One key difference I noted between Archon and Star Control is that you
>don't have to be as much of a "joystick jockey" to get started with
>Star Control.  I could never beat the computer in Archon and since I did

TRY IT ON  a 3000! The game becimes pure blazing arcade action!
The "dumbest" computer level can blow ya away!.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (12/10/90)

In article <yorkw.660577244@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) writes:
>>One key difference I noted between Archon and Star Control is that you
>>don't have to be as much of a "joystick jockey" to get started with
>>Star Control.  I could never beat the computer in Archon and since I did

Star Control is out for the Amiga?  WHERE??

I played this on some IBM systems at a convention recently and was very
impressed with it.  (I also got fairly good at it real quickly so I got to
play it a lot over the weekend, since it was set up in a "new person plays
winner of last game" arrangement)   I began looking for it for the Amiga,
but since I practically never buy games (maybe 1 per year) I wasn't sure
where to go.  Anyway, none of the local Amiga stores have a clue, the
Software Etc. doesn't have a listing for it, and the Waldensoftware place
said something about a release date but I checked back after their claimed
date and they had nothing.   Or maybe it was vice versa, and WaldenSoft
didn't have a listing.  I don't remember.

Due to a news blockage at this site we're only receiving a few dozen
messages per day (in this group - still, I estimate that maybe 1/4 to 1/3
of all messages are getting here) so I guess I missed this thread so far,
but are these people actually talking about a game which is available in
stores in this country for the Amiga right now?

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|

In article <1803@robbie.tegra.COM> nad@robbie.UUCP (Nancy Durgin) writes:
>I found a little bug that only seems to show up under 2.0 on my 3000.
>Try pitting the Quan Dreadnought against the Alliance's kami-kaze ship,
>and have a computer-player run both sides.  Everything goes into
>slow-motion.  I'd appreciate if someone else running 2.0 (KS 2.02, actually)
>could confirm this...  Under 1.3.2, it worked fine.

	I'll bet those are bus timeouts on invalid-address accesses (the
bad-access timeouts in the A3000 hardware are something like ~1/8sec - in
any case, very long).  Running enforcer with a terminal/machine hooked to the
serial port will probably show illegal memory accesses.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)