[comp.sys.amiga.games] Ishido

vli@handel.mpr.ca (Vincent Li) (12/20/90)

Hi folks,

Has anyone seen Ishido (the game of stones or something like that)?
I've seen some good reviews on it and is considering if it's really
a good buy. I'd like some first hand opinion.

Thanks

-- Vince

lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren Rittle) (12/20/90)

I have had Ishido for about a month now, so I feel qualified to
answer. :-)  Ishido is a great thinking type game like Shanghai.
The guy who worked out this puzzle had some help (not that he is not
a smart guy in his own rite...).  He looked into games that were
played thousands of years ago...  bah bah bah...
Anyways, I can safely say that if you like thinking, puzzle type
games, you will love Ishido.
Six stones, one of each color and each symbol, are layed out in the
standard starting configuration. (stones are picked at random by the
computer)  The rest of the stones are put in a random order that you,
the player, cannot see.  Then the computer flips one stone up at a
time.  You must play the stone acording to a few rules:
The played stone must touch at least one other stone already on the mat.

If only one stone will be touched by the newly played stone then it
must match the color or the symbol of the to be touched stone.

If two stones would touch the stone to be played then the new stone must
match the color of one stone and the symbol of the other.

Three, color of two, symbol of one -or- color of one, symbol of two.

Four, color of two and symbol of two! This is called a four way.
Much preplanning must be done to score these.  (I have scored 7
four ways in one game, I believe that 12 (maybe 13 if the little
story in the book is true :-) 4-ways can be attained!)  Points
double every time you get a four-way.  Bonus point are awarded
for emptying the pouch (all stones played) or coming close (less points).

Of course you try to maximize your points in the modern game.
Emptying the pouch (with a secondary goal of getting the most
4-ways) is the main goal in the game of old...
I think you get the idea, neat game.
Also a plus,  Harddrive installable, Amiga friendly (Multi-tasks well)!
Code wheel protection that is easy to defeat!  I bought the game, I
just don't like looking up the damn word with the wheel, so I fixed it!
Look at the file called codedat (that's the only hint you get)!
Loren J. Rittle
--
``In short, this is the absolute coolest computer device ever invented!''
                   -Tom Denbo speaking about The VideoToaster by NewTek

gunda@cbmehq.UUCP (Gunda O'Neal ESCO) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec19.230911.4543@mprgate.mpr.ca> vli@handel.mpr.ca (Vincent Li) writes:
>Hi folks,
>Has anyone seen Ishido (the game of stones or something like that)?
Yes, and I bought it X-@
..... another sleepless night

>I've seen some good reviews on it and is considering if it's really
>a good buy. I'd like some first hand opinion.
... but I hate these "Off-Disk Copy Protection" (it comes with a code
wheel) since my Chinchillas munch up paper....
I like it better than "Shanghai" since it has more features (one can
create own styled stones and such) the differnet strategy levels are
interesting and more good stuff.
Good buy, from my point of view.
B.t.w. it's from "Accolade"
--
Gunda O'Neal, CATS- EUROPE
AMIGA Developer Support Administration

ztsindi@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Bill Gant) (12/22/90)

Posted for Clayton J. Miner...Text to Follow
 | Todd G Vaarwerk      | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                |
 | State University of  | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU |
 |  New York at Buffalo |           VAARWERK@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 | Disclaimer: Believe what you want .. I trashed all my views of|
 |             reality ages ago  d8-)                            |

In article <1990Dec19.230911.4543@mprgate.mpr.ca>, vli@handel.mpr.ca (Vincent Li) writes...
>Hi folks,
>
>Has anyone seen Ishido (the game of stones or something like that)?
>I've seen some good reviews on it and is considering if it's really
>a good buy. I'd like some first hand opinion.
>
>Thanks
>
>-- Vince

I have a copy of Ishido that I mail ordered when the local store had a problem
getting it.  It is not what I expected, and I am not very good at it, but my
housemate enjoys it immensly.  The idea is to place 72 stones on a grid of 96
or so squares, within the limits of placing the stones.  while the graphics of
the game play and tiles are well done, the opening and game over screens are
pretty substandard for the Amiga.  If you like strategy games, then I think
that you will be very interested with this one.  A nice touch is that you can
edit the tiles themselves for a custom set, although  I do not think you can
edit the board artwork.
 |                Clayton J. Miner - Reality Engineer                  |
 | SysOp - Known World BBS | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                   |
 | (716)-883-3083 300-2400 | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 |   The views of this post are not those of the host organization.    |