[comp.sys.amiga.games] DMII Spells

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (12/19/90)

Someone posted that there aren't any new spells in DMII.  I found a
scroll that said something about a magic mapping spell.  I have the
mapping scroll and when I cast the spell it says I need a mapping scroll
in my hand.

When I cast it with a mapping scroll in my hand, nothing happens (nothing
that I can figure out, anyway).

   Has anyone else found this spell scroll?

   Have you gotten it to work?

   What happens or is supposed to happen?

Thanks,
Parker

   Anyone find any other new spells?
--
 James Parker   (parker@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
   WVU ComputerScience     |

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (12/20/90)

	Minor Spoiler About Mapping Spell Follows

	The mapping spell highlights one of the class symbols on the
map display to show you which maze your characters are in.  I haven't
noticed any other effect.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

tanner@sapphire.idbsu.edu (cs127- Byron (Mark) Tanner) (12/20/90)

In article <86850@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>	Minor Spoiler About Mapping Spell Follows
Here's some more info about mapping spells.

>	The mapping spell highlights one of the class symbols on the
>map display to show you which maze your characters are in.  I haven't

Depending on which symbol is glowing, your map displays more information.
For example, if the 'KU' symbol is lit then your map will display all monsters
in its range.  'ROS' shows secret walls and pits (very handy).  'DAIN' shows
magic spells and stuff.  And 'NETA' seems to lock the map in one place and
direction.  (Help from getting confused).  To activate these requires four
different spells.  First three were rather logical, 'NETA' wasn't...

Excellent game. Good and tough...
  -Mark Tanner

mndaily@ux.acs.umn.edu (Linda Seebach) (12/21/90)

In article <1152@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
I've found two, and I'll bet even money there are 4 - one for each path.
The only effect I've noticed is that, for a little while, the symbol for the
spell you cast (i.e., "ROS" or "DAIN") in the corner of the scroll turns red.

>Thanks,
>Parker
>   Anyone find any other new spells?
Maybe I should find a nice quiet and safe room and do what I did for DM. I
took a group of characters, and cast every spell there could be. I found all
the spells. *grin*.

> James Parker   (parker@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */

--SeebS--
--
mndaily is the Minnesota Daily, and does not speak for the U of M.
Linda Seebach does not speak for the Daily.

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (12/23/90)

In article <1152@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>When I cast it with a mapping scroll in my hand, nothing happens (nothing
>that I can figure out, anyway).
>
>   Has anyone else found this spell scroll?
>
>   Have you gotten it to work?
>
>   What happens or is supposed to happen?

I don't know exactly what spell does, but it has had an effect. The room right
next to where you find the scroll has lots of fireballs flying around in it.
When you can the map spell the fireballs actually show up on your map. Without
the map spell they aren't visible on the map. This also does wear off after
awhile.

I don't know what else shows up. I was hoping that maybe monsters would
show on the map, but it doesn't seem like it.

>Thanks,
>Parker

Your welcome.

>   Anyone find any other new spells?

Nope.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) (12/23/90)

> I don't know exactly what spell does, but it has had an effect. The room
> right
> next to where you find the scroll has lots of fireballs flying around in it.
> When you can the map spell the fireballs actually show up on your map.
> Without
> the map spell they aren't visible on the map. This also does wear off after
> awhile.
>
> I don't know what else shows up. I was hoping that maybe monsters would
> show on the map, but it doesn't seem like it.

This is what I've figured out in the 3 days playing...

Three new spells are

GOR IR KU   - Detects Monsters
GOR IR ROS  - Detects fake walls and "invisible" (actually hard to see) pits
GOR IR DAIN - Detects "magic" on screen?

Obviously, there is a fourth, involving NETA, but I've tried semi-logical
combinations to no avail.

-----------------------------------
SEMI-SPOILER  --> Dragons Den
-----------------------------------

It's _REALLY_ easy to kill _ANY_ dragon.  Here's how.

1) Prepare all your players with MON IR VEN spells (mega poison cloud)
2) Use the green freeze life box (on the dragon)
3) Cast the spells, and then double up on each player
   (ie. each player casts 2 spells for a total of 8)
4) Wait... dinner will be served soon.

------------------------------------

Other hints:
------------

Using the Vorpal Blade:

If you don't have both Vorpal Blades, you can increase #hits/time by
passing the weapon back and forth between the two attacking players.
(ie.  hit -> pass blade to #2 -> hit -> pass back to #1 -> hit ->...

Contrary to what I've read on the net, everything is affected by
fireballs, including knights and dragons.  The only exceptions are
slime, black flames, and the thing that pops up from the floor.

BTW, does anyone know what ill effect the Cursed Items have?

George Lin
a309@mindlink
uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!George_Lin