[comp.sys.amiga.games] Storm Over Europe upgrade?

robert@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Robert Lindsay) (12/13/90)

Hello all. Three questions:

1. (to Mike Farren) I know youve been busy defending the world from those
hordes of evil Europrogrammers(TM) out to seize control of our machines,
but meanwhile back at the ranch SSI still hasn't set out the update for
SOE. Will this one be 2.0 compatible? (Note to the world: the only thing
apparently keeping the game from being 2.0 compatible is the look up
the word CP)

2. Has anybody tried the trick of using Project D and nofastmem to get
Populous running on a 3000? Does it work?

3. What is/was the name of the bards tale type game with automapping?
(Not Might and Magic II)

robert lindsay
robert@alliant.uoknor.edu

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec12.194113.9742@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> robert@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Robert Lindsay) writes:

>3. What is/was the name of the bards tale type game with automapping?
>(Not Might and Magic II)

Dragon Wars, by Interplay.  Quite a good game too!

>robert lindsay
>robert@alliant.uoknor.edu

Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (12/16/90)

robert@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Robert Lindsay) writes:
>1. (to Mike Farren) I know youve been busy defending the world from those
>hordes of evil Europrogrammers(TM) out to seize control of our machines,

It's a hard job, but somebody's got to do it :-)

>but meanwhile back at the ranch SSI still hasn't set out the update for
>SOE.

Well, SSI doesn't work like that.  They don't send out upgrades automatically,
but if you call and ask, they'll get one to you.  The current version of
SAE is 1.1, and does NOT fix the 2.0 bug.  I still don't have a solid
fix for that one, and probably won't until I can get some solid time
on a 3000 system, which should happen before the end of January.  My
apologies to everyone who is being hung up by this one.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

In article <22188@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>>but meanwhile back at the ranch SSI still hasn't set out the update for
>>SOE.
>
>Well, SSI doesn't work like that.  They don't send out upgrades automatically,
>but if you call and ask, they'll get one to you.  The current version of
>SAE is 1.1, and does NOT fix the 2.0 bug.  I still don't have a solid
>fix for that one, and probably won't until I can get some solid time
>on a 3000 system, which should happen before the end of January.  My
>apologies to everyone who is being hung up by this one.

	Apparently Peter Cherna's (Mr. Intuition) mail to you didn't get to
you.  I'm appending a (slightly modified) copy to this message - perhaps some
others can avoid the same problem with 2.0.  I'm sorry we didn't know our mail
didn't get through; I didn't see any bounce, but who knows what might have
happened to it...

	BTW, I applaud Mike's attempts to write well-behaved code, and
to make sure fixes are made to correct problems.  He sent us a copy of
the suspect source code after it had been narrowed down.  The more OS-friendly,
HD-installable, 2.0 compatible games we see the happier we are (since I
can't remember the last time I ran a 68000, and most of us no longer have
that option - we rarely run 1.3 except for compatibility testing...)

	Randell
[ Note: I changed a few phrasings in peter's message to make it more
  appropriate for posting here. - REJ ]

From peter Fri Oct 12 20:59:36 1990
To: farren@well.sf.ca.us
Subject: String-gadget activation problem
Cc: jesup

From your source clipping, look at getevent().  The code which pulls
messages is broken.  What it does is:

1.  Discard all messages that are currently pending.
2.  Get the next one.

A routine like getevent() needs to do the following instead:
1.  If a message is available, grab it,
2.  Else wait for one to become available.

Now note the following code snippet from gtname():

	Request(&gtnameReq, Window);
	while(1)
	{
		getevent();
		if(eventry.Class == REQSET) break;
	}

Since getevent() is throwing away anything that is already waiting at
the message port, there is a risk that the REQSET message will be
discarded and you'll loop forever here.  The race condition is between
the set of events initiated by Request() that culminates in your task
being signalled to the arrival of the REQSET message and you getting
to the while-loop in getevent().  If the signal occurs first, you
lose.

It's possible that outcome of the race can depend on hardware,
system configuration, and software version.  [ Even under 1.3.  Under 2.0,
because of differences in the intuition state machine, it may always
happen an all machines. - REJ ]

Here's the offending section of code, and an example of what
it should be:

/* bad loop for getevent() */
while(ms = (struct IntuiMessage *)GetMsg(Window->UserPort))
	ReplyMsg((struct Message *)ms);
do
{
	WaitPort(Window->UserPort);
	ms = (struct IntuiMessage *)GetMsg(Window->UserPort);
}
while (ms == NULL);

/* good loop to use in its place */
ms = (struct IntuiMessage *)GetMsg(Window->UserPort);
while (!ms)
{
    WaitPort(Window->UserPort);
    ms = (struct IntuiMessage *)GetMsg(Window->UserPort);
}

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (12/24/90)

jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>In article <22188@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>	Apparently Peter Cherna's (Mr. Intuition) mail to you didn't get to
>you.  I'm appending a (slightly modified) copy to this message - perhaps some
>others can avoid the same problem with 2.0.  I'm sorry we didn't know our mail
>didn't get through; I didn't see any bounce, but who knows what might have
>happened to it...

Not your fault - it was MY mail that didn't get to YOU.  But then, this seems
to have been happening quite a bit lately - I've had a lot of mail either
disappear or bounce.  In short, I simply haven't had the time to work on
SAE, and without a 3000 to test it on, it would be a bit of a waste, anyhow.
Like I said - early January.

>	BTW, I applaud Mike's attempts to write well-behaved code, and
>to make sure fixes are made to correct problems.

Thank you, thank you.  Only trying to uphold the Honor Code of the Amiga
Programmer :-)

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us