[comp.sys.amiga.games] In defense of Turrican

judd@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Stephen Judd) writes:

> ... what is fun about Turrican? I've played the demo a couple of times
> - you run... jump... shoot... wow. The excitement and originality of
> it ceases to amaze me. Yet, many people have raved about it in csa. I
> had attributed this to it's smooth scrolling and decent graphics, but
> your posting seems to imply the opposite. So, in all honesty, I want
> to know: What is fun about Turrican (and "arcade" games in general,
> for that matter)?

Well, I'm not much for arcade games, but am enjoying Turrican a lot. The
trick is that if you are playing it as a run, jump, and shoot game, you
are missing most of the fun. Turrican is a maze, a puzzle, and an easter
egg hunt, which just happens to require running, jumping, and shooting
for the solution.  ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.

judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Stephen Judd) (12/23/90)

What are you still doing reading news?!?!  It's Christmas!  You're supposed
to be home with your families!  What?  Why am >>I<< reading news?  Well, ah,
er....  Boy, how about them Colorado Buffaloes...

In article <1990Dec18.124704.1696@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>judd@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Stephen Judd) writes:
>> your posting seems to imply the opposite. So, in all honesty, I want
>> to know: What is fun about Turrican (and "arcade" games in general,
>> for that matter)?

Ah, now we are getting somewhere.  Congratulations, Kent, on being the first
person to reply in defense of Turrican!

>Well, I'm not much for arcade games, but am enjoying Turrican a lot. The
>trick is that if you are playing it as a run, jump, and shoot game, you
>are missing most of the fun. Turrican is a maze, a puzzle, and an easter
>egg hunt, which just happens to require running, jumping, and shooting
>for the solution.  ;-)

Awright...  But, haven't we been doing the same thing since Jumpman (what,
six years ago)?  Can't the same thing be said for Super Mario Bros and
Thexder and on and on and on ad nauseum?  The argument isn't so much that
it isn't fun as it is that Turrican is not even a clever variant on all it's
predecessors - in other words, it's the same game.

Now, since I have only played the demo, this next part is not said with as
much conviction.  If I am wrong, by all means, correct me.  I want to respond
to the four aspects of the game you found interesting:
	A maze: "That's not a maze. Now this, THIS, is a maze!" (says Crocidile
		Stevedee, whipping out a copy of Dungeon Master).
		I suppose it's a maze, but it doesn't seem like much of a maze.
		It's not very hard to get lost in there, and there aren't many
		possibilities to try before you've got the whole thing explored.
		Not much challenge there.
	A puzzle: You mean, find the exit?  To me, a good puzzle is like a good
		integral (WHAT?!?!).  Sometimes you get an integral where you
		solve it by going through about ten pages of algebraic
		manipulation.  These are not fun.
		Some, though, are not obvious at all.  You have to think
		about it, sometimes for days, then - Eureka!  You jump out of
		the bathtub, and in about five or ten minutes the problem is
		solved.  These are fun.  Turrican seems to me like the first,
		where the puzzle is solved by either tedious exploration or by
		trying out different combinations.
	An easter egg hunt: You got me there.  About the only argument I can
		make is that, again, this element exists in all the other
		games similar to Turrican.  I might also add that easter eggs,
		like graphics and sound, certainly add to any game, but by no
		means should they make the game.
	That you just happen to need to run/jump/shoot:
		Consider this:
		Turrican is like a joke: The first time you hear it, you
		might think it was really funny.  The second or third time...
		well, if it's been a while, or if it's a good variant on the
		original joke, then it will probably still be funny.  If you
		hear it on a daily basis... it gets real old, real fast.  The
		problem isn't Turrican itself, it's the HUNDREDS of similar
		games that flood the market.  They have spoiled what was once
		probably a pretty good joke.
		I could take the joke analogy really far - some jokes depend
		solely on vulgar language or disgusting imagery.  Some are
		funny, but most aren't.  Sometimes you find that someone has
		taken the basic idea from the joke but turned it into something
		reasonably original (Analogy: The Killing Game Show is your
		basic run/jump/shoot game but they at least put in some puzzles
		to solve that aren't immediately obvious).  The list goes on...

So now perhaps you can see what I am interested in: Why does the public insist
on doing the same thing, over and over?  Why is it that people keep shoving
quarters down new machines that are identical to the old ones?  Take a look
at pop music: for the past eight years it's been the same dang song, over and
over, with the tiniest amount of variation between them.  Why?  Turrican is
simply one example among many that I am trying to understand.

>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

					-Steve
--
judd@tramp.colorado.edu       // Nobody comes to give him his rum but the
...!ncar!boulder!tramp!judd \X/  Rim of the sky hippopotamus-glum

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/24/90)

	Why do we keep doing the same things in video games over and
over? Because it's fun. True as it is that most games can be fitted
into a catagory and the variations aren't huge among them, it's that
variation that keeps us interested.

Why do people watch Star Blek? It's the same thing every show:

The crew of the Enterprise encounter some form of hostile being and,
through the use of either brains or firepower, they overcome it. Every
show is just a variation on that same theme.

It's those variations that keep us coming back though. We KNOW that
Picard will get out of the mess he's in, it's HOW he gets out that
entertains us. Videogames work on the same idea. Sure, in shoot 'em
ups you just fly around blasting things, it's HOW you blast them that
keeps you coming back.

        "All usual disclaimers apply..."     | Founder Of: Evil Young
  //                                         | Mutants For A Better Tommorow.
\X/ "Only Amiga Makes It Possible."          | hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (12/24/90)

In article <1990Dec22.203220.17380@csn.org>, Stephen Judd writes:

> What are you still doing reading news?!?!  It's Christmas!  You're supposed
> to be home with your families!  What?  Why am >>I<< reading news?  Well, ah,
> er....  Boy, how about them Colorado Buffaloes...
>
> In article <1990Dec18.124704.1696@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> >judd@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Stephen Judd) writes:
> >> your posting seems to imply the opposite. So, in all honesty, I want
> >> to know: What is fun about Turrican (and "arcade" games in general,
> >> for that matter)?
> >

> Ah, now we are getting somewhere.  Congratulations, Kent, on being the first
> person to reply in defense of Turrican!
>
> >Well, I'm not much for arcade games, but am enjoying Turrican a lot. The
> >trick is that if you are playing it as a run, jump, and shoot game, you
> >are missing most of the fun. Turrican is a maze, a puzzle, and an easter
> >egg hunt, which just happens to require running, jumping, and shooting
> >for the solution.  ;-)

I recently rediscovered (prompted by Kent's message) the joys of
Turrican. It's a very SMOOTH game. (Unless you get trapped on
part two of level 4).

You complain that the STYLE of game has been copied too much.
Fair enough. Turrican does what it does WELL. It's much better
than the Great Giana Sisters, or that dumb game where you turn
into a flying robot [Thexder], and it's not quite as difficult as
Emerald Mine.  Plus you can blast things!  Switchable autofire is
just neato!  (Spot the shoot_em_up player!).

Another game that strikes me as being excellently done was
'Viper' - a sort of Galaxians clone, but with MANY different
sorts of attacking spaceship, each with unique initial onscreen
patterns, and attack patterns.  You got entranced by the movement
of the enemy with that game.  It intelligently loaded all the
levels into memory (if you had expansion [why, oh why, do game
designers ignore large free memory pools and INSIST on grungy
floppy disk access?]), and a huge high score table.  A definite
classic.  Don't hear about it much though.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who was amused by Ebonstar.
(Which enters into a whole new realm in four player tournament
mode!)

--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac                     . .  I am.