[comp.sys.amiga.games] PowerMonger & 030

johns@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Silvia) (12/16/90)

Powermonger does not work MY accelerated Amiga!

I have a buddy with a 3000 and it worked okay, but for some reason it didn't
like my A2000 with the A2630.  It could be that it doesn't know to do a
"fastmem first" or something since I have fast-fast and slow-fast along with
chip memory, but if that's not it, then it just doesn't like the 030 on
non-Amiga 3000 machines.

The graphics are nice too.  Fantastic is more the word for it!

The extra windows that popup like that are a programmers bug that goes back to
the days of the TRS-80 Model I.  Keybounce.  When you click the mouse, a
switch is closed right?  What exactly happens during a 100ms switch closing?
Well if you placed a mouse button on a scope, and watched it closing at some
really high sample speed, then you would probably see a few pulses as the
switch gets proximity, initial contact, full contact, and then resting
contact.  The old TRS-80 Keyboard had this problem, and telling the OS to slow
down the reading of the switches was the key.  More than likely they are "over
reading" the mousebutton and making things messy.

-- John Silvia

 Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: johns@pro-graphics.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!johns
    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!johns@nosc.mil

watters@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (12/17/90)

In article <6354@crash.cts.com> johns@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Silvia) writes:

>Powermonger does not work MY accelerated Amiga!
>
>I have a buddy with a 3000 and it worked okay, but for some reason it didn't
>like my A2000 with the A2630.  It could be that it doesn't know to do a
>"fastmem first" or something since I have fast-fast and slow-fast along with
>chip memory, but if that's not it, then it just doesn't like the 030 on
>non-Amiga 3000 machines.

Powermonger works great on my A2500/30.  It also has no trouble playing over
the phone with an A2500/20.

~

--
Due to the shape of the North American Elk's esophagus, even if it could speak,
it could not pronounce the word "lasagna!" - Cliff Clavin, `Cheers'

pochron@cat28.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (12/19/90)

In article <6354@crash.cts.com> johns@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Silvia) writes:

>Powermonger does not work MY accelerated Amiga!
>
>I have a buddy with a 3000 and it worked okay, but for some reason it didn't
>like my A2000 with the A2630.  It could be that it doesn't know to do a
>"fastmem first" or something since I have fast-fast and slow-fast along with
>chip memory, but if that's not it, then it just doesn't like the 030 on
>non-Amiga 3000 machines.

I have a A2000b w/ a A2630 card, 4 megs 32 bit RAM.  Works fine.  It is running
much slower than it should because the data cache and burst modes are disabled
by default, and I have the "slowmem" at C00000 also.

Does anyone know of a utility that will survive reboot and put the 200000 memory
first AND enable all cache/burst modes?  I want to play this sucker at FULL
SPEED!  :-)

>The extra windows that popup like that are a programmers bug that goes back to
>the days of the TRS-80 Model I.  Keybounce.  When you click the mouse, a

No, it is more likely that they are simply checking for a mouse "button down"
click, but not waiting for the "up click" so all the clicks fall through as
the window is closed.  I've seen it all too often.

>-- John Silvia
>
> Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
>
>Internet: johns@pro-graphics.cts.com
>    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!johns
>    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!johns@nosc.mil

David M. Pochron	    |  from Rescue Rangers, _A Fly in the Ointment_
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu|  Gadget to Dale:  "Keep the hands off the body!"

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (12/19/90)

writes:
>The extra windows that popup like that are a programmers bug that goes back to
>the days of the TRS-80 Model I.  Keybounce.  When you click the mouse, a

No it's just that there are more than one object where you clicked. If you
look a the windows, they are all different.
I think finding a programmer bug in populous or powermonger is not an easy
task... (by programmer bug I mean something not conform to the specs. If
nuking the OS was in the product specs, then it is a design bug)

Apparently the only known bug was in the disk routines, and finding it
involved tricky disassembling...

--
Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec18.194123.9843@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, pochron@cat28.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) writes:
> In article <6354@crash.cts.com> johns@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Silvia) writes:
> >Powermonger does not work MY accelerated Amiga!
> >
> >I have a buddy with a 3000 and it worked okay, but for some reason it didn't
> I have a A2000b w/ a A2630 card, 4 megs 32 bit RAM.  Works fine.  It is running
It works with my 68010!  (A1000 with 2 meg fast expansion)
[discussion of what causes multiple windows to appear deleted]

Also, trying to click on the window and drag is a bit difficult.  It's not
nearly as nice as the built-in routines in AmigaDOS.  As more fuel to the
"why you shouldn't kick out AmigaDOS" thread, wouldn't it have been nice
for the programmers to not have to spend their time on custom DOS routines,
custom windows, etc., and perhaps add other things to the game?  (Who knows,
maybe they coulda thrown in a scenario editor....)  Anyway, the multiple-
windows thing is the most annoying "feature" of PowerMonger.  The right-
button-over-the-? feature is in the manual, but sometimes it doesn't seem
to work for me.  In general, the feel of the user interface seems a bit
more "sluggish."  In short, it's a step down.

I played PowerMonger at a friends house, and even after whining about the
windows, went out and bought the game.  The game itself is so well done
that it's worth ignoring the minor annoyances.  Yes, it takes over your
machine and kills your RAD: drive.  Yes, they decided not to use perfectly
fine AmigaDOS routines and build their own.  But, when you get into the
game, it's so far beyond the average game, that it's well worth the
inconveniences.

It's a neat game where you spend a lot of time trying out different
strategies.  The game does a good job of making you feel a part of its
world, with adequate animation, nice sound effects, and a lot of detail
in the scenery.  It's almost as if I can point out some problems easily
enough, but can't quite put into words why it's so fascinating.  I guess
in a nutshell, it's a "world", and it's fun to watch the citizens of
that world go about their business.

> David M. Pochron	    |  from Rescue Rangers, _A Fly in the Ointment_
--
Gary Wolfe, SYSOP of the Temporal Vortex BBS                        // Amiga!
..uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop,   unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu  \X/  Yeah!