[comp.sys.amiga.games] Chaos Strikes Back Question

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (12/25/90)

	I just purchased Chaos Strikes Back for my Amiga.  I looked at
the characters in the starter dungeon to compare them with my own party
from DM, and I have decided that my DM party is superior in stats to any
combination of the CSB characters.  Now, I have my old DM party saved at
various levels of experience, so I now have a choice to make.  I would
appreciate it if someone out there who has played CSB could answer a
question for me that would aid in my choice.  Here goes:

I have a party of 4 saved as follows:

Name  Hea  Sta  Mana  Str  Dex  Wis  Vit  AnM  AnF  Levels
Stamm 344  298   73   68   58   52   59   46   63   Ad F, Ar N, Cr P, Ar W
Sonja 334  256   79   73   62   54   59   60   49   Ad F, Ar N, Cr P, Ar W
Chani 314  259  145   53   61   76   43   59   40   Cr F, Ar N, Ex P, Ad W
Boris 317  249  136   48   60   73   45   63   49   Cr F, Ar N, Ex P, Ad W

I also have the same party saved later on in the game (about to meet Lord Chaos):

Name  Hea  Sta  Mana  Str  Dex  Wis  Vit  AnM  AnF  Levels
Stamm 449  414  131   70   59   55   60   66   64   Ex F, Ar N, Ex P, Ex W
Sonja 435  348  132   75   63   60   62   64   50   Ex F, Ar N, Ex P, << Mas W
Chani 381  304  191   53   61   79   44   64   41   Ad F, Ex N, <> Mas P, = Mas W
Boris 383  297  300   48   60   77   47   67   50   Cr F, Ar N, [] Mas P, << Mas W

As you can see, with the levels of experience going:

Neo, Nov, App, Jour, Craft, Artis, Adept, Exp, Master (<<, [], =, <>, )-, /|)

That the latter group is more advanced.  Now, I think, having played a few minutes
of CSB, that I can survive with either of these parties.  My question is this.
If I take the first party into CSB and use them until they advance to the levels
of second party, will they have similar increases in the statistics, or does
CSB give you larger increases in these stats (specifically Str, Dex, Wis, Vit, AM, AF)
than DM.  If they are the same or similar, then I am better off taking the more
advanced party.  If I can get better increases in stats in CSB, then I am better
off using the first party and trying to survive until they advance, since that means
that they will be stronger characters in the long run.

Finally, is level 6 master the highest attainable level in CSB?  If so, what happens
when a character reaches level 6 master in all 4 categories?  Where do they improve
from there?

I hope that this makes sense.  Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

mndaily@ux.acs.umn.edu (Linda Seebach) (12/26/90)

In article <1219@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
>[...]
>I hope that this makes sense.  Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah. But, has anyone ever managed to gain a level in CSB? I have a party who
spent about an hour, living off any food or drink I could get to, casting
mon fireballs, and we haven't gotten a level yet. How do we gain levels,
pray tell? Is it just me, or are they harder? And, is there any way to gain
them faster? Please, elucidate. I haven't been able to do well at all,
partially because it takes a *lot* of spells to kill monsters these days,
and it's hard to get enough weaponry to kill them off. 'Specially since I
haven't found the V. Swords. (Of course, the second one is obscure enough
in DM I... but this is rediculous!)

Does anyone have nice maps that show where things are, or other useful
hints compiled? This game is *hard*.

>Scott Sutherland
>sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

Oh, By the way: I would bet even money that your statistic gains are even
either way, so take the high-level dudes.
Or, be creative, and reincarnate some of the captured people. Gets you high
stats!

--SeebS--
ps: Has anyone bothered to play DM with custom portraits yet? It's fun!
--
mndaily is the Minnesota Daily, and does not speak for the U of M.
Linda Seebach does not speak for the Daily.