[comp.sys.amiga.games] I HATE paranoid copyprotections!

pekka@burken.bula.se (Pekka Hedqvist) (12/24/90)

Just bought my yearly game, this year it turned out to be Powermonger
from Bullfrog/EOA (the successor to Populus).  On the package it says:
'no on-disk copyprotection'.
Nice I think, then it's possible to backup and maybe I can install it
on the harddisk.  Later when I read the instructions, it reads:
'your PowerMonger game disk uses a non-standard Amiga format and there-
fore cannot be copied' (i.e thedisk is copyprotected).
And yes, the disk truly is protected the diskdrive doesn't sound pleased.
That's not enought, the game also is protected whith the:
'type xxx from the manual' method too.

---
     _
_   // Pekka Hedqvist	      _/ USENET: pekka@burken.bula.se
\\ //  Gosta Ekmansvag 37   _/
 \X/   S-126 54 Hagersten _/
       S W E D E N	 /  "Time flies when you don't know what you're doing."

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (12/24/90)

I was wondering, since the package for Powermonger says "NO ON DISK
COPY PROTECTION", and the disk is uncopyable via AmigaDos, does
that consitute false advertising on EA's part? Sounds like it to me,

and I will be giving them a call after Christmas, in an effort to
persuade them to (1) RELEASE A COPY OF POWERMONGER THAT IS TRULY
UNPROTECTED, or (2) Refund my money. I like the game, but I don't
need that sort of crap...
 OR
that
Shake it out, blow it out, then use a good quality contact cleaner on it
-larry

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/25/90)

In article <148@burken.bula.se>, pekka@burken.bula.se (Pekka Hedqvist) writes:
> Just bought my yearly game, this year it turned out to be Powermonger

Good choice.

> from Bullfrog/EOA (the successor to Populus).  On the package it says:
> 'no on-disk copyprotection'.
> Nice I think, then it's possible to backup and maybe I can install it
> on the harddisk.  Later when I read the instructions, it reads:
> 'your PowerMonger game disk uses a non-standard Amiga format and there-
> fore cannot be copied' (i.e thedisk is copyprotected).

Its actually not copy protected, they just used a format unknown to
AmigaDos so you can't put it on a hard drive.  Why they went out of
their way to do this is beyond me.  Plus its one of those anal retentive
European "I am brain dead, therefore I recognize only one drive" type of
games.

> And yes, the disk truly is protected the diskdrive doesn't sound pleased.

There is an awful lot of grinding isn't there?

> That's not enought, the game also is protected whith the:
> 'type xxx from the manual' method too.

Yes, this would have been enough, the special format is overkill.

> ---
>      _
> _   // Pekka Hedqvist	      _/ USENET: pekka@burken.bula.se
> \\ //  Gosta Ekmansvag 37   _/
>  \X/   S-126 54 Hagersten _/
>        S W E D E N	 /  "Time flies when you don't know what you're doing."

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

schwager@cs.uiuc.edu (Michael Schwager) (12/27/90)

Sooo... has anyone actually been able to copy this thing?  It says to use
your favorite disk copier, which I've done to no avail.  Actually, I tried
a couple- Marauder II and Project D.  No dice.  Bums me out!
--
-Mike Schwager                             |"Weapons are the tools of fear;
INTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu              | a decent man will avoid them...

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (12/27/90)

Subject says it all.  PCopy worked fine on my plain old '2000.
.