[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lord Chaos is not my friend.

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (12/29/90)

Greetings from the depth of Mt. Anaias:

I've just started with  DMII--CSB.  And I'd be grateful for any help, hints,
cheats, whatever, that I can get my hands on.

When the game first dumps you on the first level in the dark, is there
ANY way to be prepared for/avoid those stupid worms?  I ALWAYS getzapped
right away, poisoned, and lose a man or two to poisoning with no way to cure]
it.  I can't find any flasks to create potions in, so I end up wandering
around till I find an Altar of Rebirth.  By then, I'm totally lost and run
into all kinds of baddies.

What's the secret to eliminating the midget who casts those really wicked
lightening spells--the guy near the knight behind the iron gate? I got the
onyx key from him and a ring.

and what about killing those knights?  Theylook like they've been on a steady
diet of iron and steroids.

Not to mention those big brown dragon things.....they get me every time.

One of the dragons was guarding a set of bones.....not a set I recognized.
Do I need to take these with me?  Can they be brought back to life?

What I would *really* like is a set of maps like for the old set.  Yes, I know
it's cheating, but I DON'T CARE.  I don't even know how many levels there are
in this version.....

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| werjun@large              |  I'm so sick of hearing about Elvis.  |
+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +         I wish he was dead!           +
|                           |                                       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

mndaily@ux.acs.umn.edu (Linda Seebach) (12/29/90)

In article <400.277bc4ba@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>I've just started with  DMII--CSB.  And I'd be grateful for any help, hints,
>cheats, whatever, that I can get my hands on.

I would too... By now.

Re: Worms:
Near the beginning: Back up a bit right away. Cast light spells. Start
fireballing. Do *NOT* step on the space with the torch/dagger stuff. That
summons more worms. As if you need them.
Great way to start, ain't it?

>What's the secret to eliminating the midget who casts those really wicked
>lightening spells--the guy near the knight behind the iron gate? I got the
>onyx key from him and a ring.

Midgets are the same as in DM I - they're the wizard dudes from the rat
level.

>and what about killing those knights?  Theylook like they've been on a steady
>diet of iron and steroids.
>Not to mention those big brown dragon things.....they get me every time.
In both cases: Every successful kill so far in DMII has been throught pit
hopping. Remember: If you land on a monster, someone's got to die. At least
they're worth treasure. Save before doing this, though, in case you miss.

>One of the dragons was guarding a set of bones.....not a set I recognized.
>Do I need to take these with me?  Can they be brought back to life?
I don't know if you need them, but an alter of vi will not restore them.
At least, not unless there's a space in your group. I may eventually play
a three character group, or try it with one dead person, to see. It may be
that they are "generic bones" - dump them on the altar, and one dead person
comes back.

>What I would *really* like is a set of maps like for the old set.  Yes, I know
>it's cheating, but I DON'T CARE.  I don't even know how many levels there are
>in this version.....
I think there are about 10.
I would appreciate maps too. There is a set at abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov, but they
include no objects, or hints. I.e., what good does it do to tell me a wall
may dissappear if I don't know how to *make* it disappear?

Oh, and if I'm gonna bitch: Is it just me, or was it really *stupid* to move
the keypad movement keys? Being a sheer-reflex typist, I tend to get screwed
up by that rather a lot. I thought the old ones worked fine grumble grumble.

>| werjun@large              |  I'm so sick of hearing about Elvis.  |
Aren't we all.

--SeebS--
--
mndaily is the Minnesota Daily, and does not speak for the U of M.
Linda Seebach does not speak for the Daily.

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (12/29/90)

>>What I would *really* like is a set of maps like for the old set.  Yes, I know
>>it's cheating, but I DON'T CARE.  I don't even know how many levels there are
>>in this version.....
> I think there are about 10.
> I would appreciate maps too. There is a set at abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov, but they
> include no objects, or hints. I.e., what good does it do to tell me a wall
> may dissappear if I don't know how to *make* it disappear?

I know about the set of maps that allegedly exists there, but they seem to
be eminently unaccessible at the moment.  I *did* find a map for the prison
level, for those folks who want to be just the right champions from the
new game.  But if offers nothing constructive....not even a stairway down
that will avoid those worms.

> Oh, and if I'm gonna bitch: Is it just me, or was it really *stupid* to move
> the keypad movement keys? Being a sheer-reflex typist, I tend to get screwed
> up by that rather a lot. I thought the old ones worked fine grumble grumble.

I cannot empathize with yu on the keyboard commands; the mouse is my preferred
method and/or tool of locomotion and self-destruction here.  As a matter of
fact, I *still* try to mouse my way through Usenet......sigh....

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

arxt@quads.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (12/30/90)

In article <2965@ux.acs.umn.edu> mndaily@ux.acs.umn.edu (Linda Seebach) writes:
>In article <400.277bc4ba@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>>I've just started with  DMII--CSB.  And I'd be grateful for any help, hints,
>>cheats, whatever, that I can get my hands on.
>
>I would too... By now.

Here's a hint:  My new favorite spells are OH VEN and DES VEN.

>>and what about killing those knights?  Theylook like they've been on a steady
>>diet of iron and steroids.
>>Not to mention those big brown dragon things.....they get me every time.
>In both cases: Every successful kill so far in DMII has been throught pit
>hopping. Remember: If you land on a monster, someone's got to die. At least
>they're worth treasure. Save before doing this, though, in case you miss.

That works, but it's a pain finding your way back from the pit.  Knights
don't seem to mind OH VEN, but I don't know whether they are stupid or
just poison resistant.  Dragons will step away from poison clouds unless
they are frozen by a magic box.

>>What I would *really* like is a set of maps...

What I would like is to know where the skeleton keys are!

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (12/30/90)

> Here's a hint:  My new favorite spells are OH VEN and DES VEN.
     I hae been working with the poison spells, and plan to wreak death
and destruction tonight.  I never found the Freeze Life boxes much use
in the old game, but  it looks like they will be VERY handy this game.

>>In both cases: Every successful kill so far in DMII has been throught pit
>>hopping. Remember: If you land on a monster, someone's got to die. At least
>>they're worth treasure. Save before doing this, though, in case you miss.
>
> That works, but it's a pain finding your way back from the pit.  Knights
> don't seem to mind OH VEN, but I don't know whether they are stupid or
> just poison resistant.  Dragons will step away from poison clouds unless
> they are frozen by a magic box.

        See above.....

>>>What I would *really* like is a set of maps...

                   I got my maps; they are printing right this very second.
Nice ones, looks like---color, and with a legend that tells me what pitfalls
(NPI) are where.  They are laid out on a gridwork that shows distances.  Each
section of each level is colorcoded;i.e., KU sections are one color, NETA
ssections are another color, etc.  I can go at this game with a little more
optimism now.

> What I would like is to know where the skeleton keys are!
                I have found about 3 keys.....don't remember what types.  I'll
try to make a note of where I found them  (and any others)  and post it here.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| werjun@large              |  I'm so sick of hearing about Elvis.  |
+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +         I wish he was dead!           +
|                           |                                       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

marler@evax.arl.utexas.edu (T. Gordon Marler) (12/30/90)

Yeah, why DID they move the cursor keys?  Makes it incredibly difficult
to change over, and I keep backing up into things when I want to go
forward...

Anyway, has anyone confirmed the method of getting the Firestaff?  I
still wonder if the text you type in should include the word SMITES
instead of SMITHES as I saw in the cheat list.  Any info on this?

usenet@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Usenet News Administration) (01/01/91)

And someone on Compuserve said that he has a European magazine that
published that cheat as a joke on April fools day.  It doesn't work on
the Amiga version and I don't know if it works on the ST version.
I haven't personally verified this by trying to type "SMITES" -- I only
tried "SMITHES" then I gave up.
Jason Freund
From: freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Jason Freund)

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (01/01/91)

In article <8092@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, usenet@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Usenet News Administration) writes:
> And someone on Compuserve said that he has a European magazine that
> published that cheat as a joke on April fools day.  It doesn't work on
> the Amiga version and I don't know if it works on the ST version.
> I haven't personally verified this by trying to type "SMITES" -- I only
> tried "SMITHES" then I gave up.
     I have tried that both ways, to no avail.  NEither SMITES  nor
SMITHES worked for me.  And the dragon was darned hard to kill to boot!
However, he did leave behind some real handy weapons, and dragon steak
will keep the guys going for a long, long time.

My worst problems have been running out of water, and not being able to go down
 a level when I wanted. Often, I get transported back up to where I have
already been, and have to work my way down again, OR start over with a reboot.

Does anyone out there have a way to make invisible walls disappear?  Do far,
I've been 'finding' them by running into them and falling through.  I do know
that going through a wall at a position other than forward is sometimes
effective.

Jean
"Let them what don't want none have memories of not getting any."
                                        --Brother Dave

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (01/02/91)

In article <410.278005d0@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>>Does anyone out there have a way to make invisible walls disappear?  Do far,
>>I've been 'finding' them by running into them and falling through.  I do know
>>that going through a wall at a position other than forward is sometimes
>>effective.

Hint:
	If you were really stuck in a dungeon with fake walls how
would you find them?  The same technique works in CSB.

	You can also use the map scroll and the appropriate mapping
spell.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson