[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings! Demo version levels.

watters@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (01/01/91)

I had been having trouble with the third level in the demo version of Lemmings.
When I asked a couple people about it, they seemed confused on why I was having
trouble and refered to the level as "Bombbuzal"

>Is level 3 Bombbozal?  That is just timing.  The game seems well-written.

So, do we all have the same levels?

I got:
Level 2: OHPVMXDIIR "Watch out there's traps about!"
Level 3: LPVMXDGJIO "One way to freedom!"

I typed in the codes someone gave for level four and just got the 2 player
level: "There can be only one!"

I also typed in the codes for level 5: VMXDGHTLIQ and it accepted it as a 1
player level, but it could not find the level info on the disk and it just kept
looking, flashing, looking.

Level 3: "One way to freedom!" is the one I need help with.  Through some
neat moves I can get one Lemming over the hudge wall and over the fire pit
but when I finally get him back towards the wall to start building stairs that
the others can drop onto, I either run out of builders or run out of time!

Thanks

"Oh no!" -+ BOOM +-
--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/02/91)

I've got the demo version of "Lemmings" that came with the January
issue of Amiga Format (a british publication that I'd recommend to
anyone [though "Amiga Computing" is somewhat less commercial]). I've
also been having Mega-Problems with level 3, "One way to freedom". I'm
just about ready to ask for an outright spoiler on this one: Could someone
give me just a little hint? I can get one guy safely over the wall by
doing some insane stair building and then giving him the sole parachute,
but I can't save the others.

In any case, really great game! It's driven me completely insane on
several occasions - always a good sign of severe addictiveness.

BTW, If anyone from Psygnosis is listening:

"LEAVE OFF THE $#@%$@# DISK COPY PROTECTION (manual protect it all
you want, however) AND I'LL HAPPILY BUY IT - OTHERWISE, SORRY!"

Ahem. Thank you.

					Jordan

--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

tromp@cwi.nl (John Tromp) (01/03/91)

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

>I've got the demo version of "Lemmings" that came with the January
>issue of Amiga Format (a british publication that I'd recommend to
>anyone [though "Amiga Computing" is somewhat less commercial]). I've
>also been having Mega-Problems with level 3, "One way to freedom". I'm
>just about ready to ask for an outright spoiler on this one: Could someone
>give me just a little hint? I can get one guy safely over the wall by
>doing some insane stair building and then giving him the sole parachute,
>but I can't save the others.

Last night, a friend of mine managed to pull it off.
I'll try and explain the solution we worked out.
The following is a liberal impression of the layout of level 3,
with several bridges added, some of which are labeled.

|   /
|  /   +--------+
| /    |<<<<<<<<|
|/     |<<<<<<<<|
|\     |<<<<<<<<|
| \    |<<<<<<<<|
|  \ e/|<<<<<<<<|
|   \/ |<<<<<<<<|
|    \b|<<<<<<<<|
|     \|<<<<<<<<|
|\d  a/|<<<<<<<<|           c|     |
+-\--/-+--------+-----------/+-----+-------------

You start to build the bridge structure on the left, and time for a lemming
to be exploded at point b, after which one remaining lemming must continue
building the rest that takes him up the wall. Bridges d and e are needed to
stop lemmings from falling too far down and getting killed.
All the other lemmings will now fall through b and end up
walking back and forth over bridge a.
The one lemming parachutes down and just
in front of the fire, starts building bridge c.
The trick is that when a bridge-builder hits an obstacle, instead of
attempting to climb it, like a walker does, he simply turns around.
Just when he is about to hit the wall, make him dig.
Once through the wall, make him build yet another bridge.
He will again turn around after hitting bridge a. Now he simply returns
to the fire, which he crosses with 2 more bridges, and all the other
lemmings may be released by exploding one of them on bridge a.

Simple, no :-?

Still there's not much time and plenty of occasions to mess up.
Good luck. You'll need it!

John Tromp (tromp@cwi.nl)

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (01/03/91)

In article <JKH.91Jan2064112@bambam.pcs.com>, jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K.
Hubbard) writes:
> also been having Mega-Problems with level 3, "One way to freedom". I'm

hints:

you don't need to build any bridge

the first icon is a "climber" icon

you need 2 stoppers

you need to make 2 people climb, then get down in parachute

the first one will stop the second, which will get back to dig the
"One way to freedom"... backwards

keep an eye on the left edge to transform the first lemming to reach it into a
stopper...

--
Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66