[comp.sys.amiga.games] Chess-Programs

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (01/04/91)

In article <4Fg6u2w163w@edibox.in-berlin.de>, Thomas Witt writes:

> Hi
> "" Sargon is the Program with the best algorithm.
>    It plays very well!
>    All the other programs has a nice Graphics,
>    but no more!
>    I prefer Sargon!

You may prefer Sargon but it is not the strongest chess program.  I can
consistently beat Sargon, and very rarely beat ChessMaster 2000.  Both at
there strongest levels of play.  ChessMaster 2000 consistently beats Sargon
in head to head play.  I believe that both ChessMaster 2100 and CheckMate
are supposed to be stronger than ChessMaster 2000, so it follows that
Sargon is pretty far behind.  However, for many people they are all stronger
than you would ever need, although none of them are particularly fun to
play (win or lose).  I often play mail/computer chess with players who are
much stronger than myself, I always enjoy the games even though I
frequently lose.  I rarely enjoy playing any of the computers, even though
I have a fair chance to beat them.  I really only want a chess program to
practice opening lines that I rarely have to face, and thus need to keep up
on.

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA