[comp.sys.amiga.games] questions about DMII

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) (01/04/91)

In article <6684@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>[]
>
>note: the armor they
  (meaning knights)

>wear is cursed, so are the weapons they use so leave their belongings alone.

A peculiarity of the DungeonMaster system of games that I found a bit
frustrating is that it's very difficult to evaluate armor.  Apart from
its rather high weight, what's wrong with cursed armor?

I suppose I could test the various types of armor against missles and magic,
but it would be very tedious.  I'd have to strip a volunteer character of
all his armor, and then have him shoot himself with missles, fireballs,
lightning bolts, and, for all I know, poison strikes.  If there's randomness
in the amount of damage taken for each of these, I'd have to repeat each
test enough to get some idea of the average damage, and then re-do the
test with single pieces of armor, to see how effective those pieces are.

Would it have detracted all that much from the game to have provided
a way of displaying the armor rating?

Brian Rhodefer
armor rating