[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings from Psygnosis

watters@sphere.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (12/29/90)

If you look through AdWorld (AmigaWorld) you will see a full page ad for
a game called Lemmings.  Odds are you blew by this while flipping through
this rag, but take note...

Finally, a game that lives up to the playability of many incredible games
that were available for the 8-bit machines during the 80's.  I was able
to get a Demo version of Lemmings from a European disk/magazine and this game
is not only playable, but it is also dangerously adictive!!!  The character
animation and gameplay match such greats as loadrunner, jumpman (jr.), and
many more.

A Lemming is a little character that gets dropped into a hostile cave
environment.  At first he is a "walker."  All he does is walk along until
running into an obstacle that either turns him around or kills him in many
gruesome, yet hysterical ways.  Somewhere in this cave-like world there is
an exit, and between the Lemming and the exit are numerous obstacles such as
mountains, pools, fire, cliffs, and traps (many different kinds).  But don't
fret too much because you can change the Lemming from a "walker" into something
that helps him get passed the obstacle, such as a "digger", or a "climber", or
a "builder", ect.
It sounds easy, but it's not.   You have a fixed number of times you can turn
a Lemming into a "builder", or "climber", ect. and it varies from level to
level.  This is not the worst of it though, you see the Lemming is not alone.
A new Lemming gets dropped into this world at a certain rate, one after the
other.  Over 100 Lemmings can be running around, and the goal of each level
is to save a certain percentage of these Lemmings by getting them to the exit,
alive.

The demo version had three levels.  The first was easy, but the second was very
hard and the third is impossible... so far.  Besides the single player game
I have described, there is an even better two player game in which a green
Lemming is dropped and then a blue Lemming, ect, ect.  There is a green exit on
one side and a blue on the other.  Whom ever gets the most Lemmings out his
exit wins the round.  There are three main tactics in the two player game;
worry about your own, save your own and try and kill you enemies' Lemmings, or
save you own and try to kill your enemies' Lemmings.  Unreal! The game was
written by DMA design a company I have heard of, but I don't think this is
who does the usual Psygnosis stuff.  I can't wait until this game come out,
and I strongly suggest you take a look for yourself.

Enjoy!
-=-
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH
David watters@cis.ohio-state.edu  "It's 12:35... and Michigan STILL sucks."
_-_-_-__---_---_---__-_-_-____ TurboExpress : The Neo*Geo of portables _____

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (12/30/90)

   A nit:

 The demo has *5* levels. The 4th is the Bomboozal level. You have to explode
Lemmings in PRECISELY the right time and place, get them from the top of a
maze to the bottom. Oh yeah, there are Fire Pits From Hell (TM), to get in the
way. The 5th level. "If At First You Don't Succeed..." 3 column but only 2
forward "diggers". A BIG Chasm. And you have to save 99 Lemmings out of 100.

   David Jones have made this game only SLIGHTY more playable. At least the
levels get PROGRESSIVELY harder. Following are the codes for Levels 3-5
for the less dexterous of us.

 Level 3 - LPVMXDGJIO
       4 - PVMXDOLKIX
       5 - VMXDGHTLIQ

  Happy Wildlife Preservation... :-)

--
 adam hill
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                        Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec30.071806.7730@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:
>way. The 5th level. "If At First You Don't Succeed..." 3 column but only 2
>forward "diggers". A BIG Chasm. And you have to save 99 Lemmings out of 100.

Yes how do you pass this level?  I am able only to save about 30% of
the Lemmings before I run out of time.  What is the idea?

(BTW, I agree, this is a GREAT game...  A neato concept and the
special effects are cool too!)

davemad@pnet01.cts.com (Dave Madsen) (01/03/91)

In article <3088@pnet.cts.com> aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:
>In article <1990Dec30.071806.7730@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.e
>du (Adam Hill) writes:
>>way. The 5th level. "If At First You Don't Succeed..." 3 column but only 2
>>forward "diggers". A BIG Chasm. And you have to save 99 Lemmings out of 100.
>
>Yes how do you pass this level?  I am able only to save about 30% of
>the Lemmings before I run out of time.  What is the idea?
>
>(BTW, I agree, this is a GREAT game...  A neato concept and the
>special effects are cool too!)

Well, I am sure that there are quite a few different ways to solve this, but
this is what I did.  To begin with, I had the first lemming to reach the first
column become a basher (a forward digger).  Since the lemmings essentially
fall into a pit between a wall to the left and the columns to the right, there
is no need to use a blocker to stop them from falling anywhere.  Secondly, I
had another lemming become a basher and dig forward through the second column.
As this is going on, the lemmings should start to fill up this "pit".  At this
point I usually turn the release rate up to 99 so the lemmings will start to
fill up the pit much faster.  Next, I had one lemming become a climber and
climb the third column.  While this lemming is climbing the column, I had
another lemming become a digger (the one that digs diagonally) at the top of
the ladder of the third column.  Make sure that when the climber lemming
reaches the top of the column you turn him into a floater, otherwise he will
fall down and die with a gruesome SPLAT (heheh).  By this time, the digger
should be through the column, allowing the lemmings to become trapped
between the column and the stairs going down.  While you continue on with the