[comp.sys.amiga.games] Games I'd like to see on the Amiga

gl11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory James Legowski) writes:

> While we're talking about classic games, let's not forget some of the
> classics of the arcade that never made it home.

> I'm thinking of games like Tempest and Sinistar. And of course
> classics from the C64--Gyruss, Wizard of Wor, BluePrint (anyone else
> remember this one--I still have the cart but not a working C64!) I
> could spend HOURS coming up with a "classics" list I'd love to see
> done, but I don't have the experience on the Amiga I'd need (I'm
> mostly a <GASP!!> IBM-compatible user/programmer) to do true justice
> to any of them... Sigh...

> Anyone feel like picking up a project? :-)

> (What would the legal status on copies of "older" games like these be?
> Wouldn't want to get myself sued if I ever DID manage to program
> one... Just covering my tracks before I make them...)

The answers to this question grow most acrimonious, as the recent
rec.games.programmer thread will demonstrate to the satisfaction of all.
Best answer: don't do it except through the owner of the original game.

Which brings up the question: when the software house buys the game,
and then the farm, does ownership devolve back to the author?

But anyway! Maybe we could get a thread going here of golden oldie
"Games I'd Like to See on the Amgia", and then take a vote on the list
and send the results off to EA, Psygnosis, and a few other shops.

I'll start:

Apple II+:

'Pillar Munch (PD)
AE
Ali Baba
Alien Ambush
Alien Typhoon
Aliens
Arcade Machine (Design your own arcade games)
Artesians
Autobahn
Aztec
Bam
Battle of Shiloh
Beer Run
Berzerker
Blade of Blackpool
Borg
Bug Attack
Cannonball Blitz
Canyon Climber
Castle Wolfenstein
Ceiling Zero
Chivalry
Choplifter
Computer Air Combat
Conan
Cosmic Balance
Crazy Mazy
Creature Venture
Crossfire
Crossword Magic
Crush Crumble & Chomp
Crypto Cube
Crystal Cavern
Cycloids
Cyclotron
Cytron Master
Dark Crystal (for kids, from the movie)
David's Midnight Magic (another great pinball game)
Dawn Patrol
Death Maze
Demon's Forge
Depth Charge
Desecration
Dig Dug
Dinosaurs
Dogfight
Droll
Dung Beetles
Eliza
Epidemic
Epoch
Escape
Evolution
Falcons II
Final Conflict  (highly reminiscent of the Rivits board game)
Fire and Ice
Fore
Gamma Goblins
Genesis
Gold Rush
HMS Impetuous
Hard Hat Mack
Hell Storm
Hellfire Warrior
Hyper Head-on
Ice Demons
In Search of the Most Amazing Thing
Jellyfish
Juggler
Juggler's Rainbow (infants)
Jump Jet
Jungle Hunt
Jupiter Express
Kameari
Kamikaze
Karateka
Knight of Diamonds
Labyrinth
Legacy of LLygamyn
Lemmings
Loderunner
Loadrunner II
Loadrunner, Championship
Mad Bomber
Mars Cars
Mask of the Sun
Microbe
Microwave (Great Music on an Apple II+!)
Miner
Miner 2049er
Minotaur
Missile Defense
Moon Patrol
Mystery Fun House
New World
Night Crawler
Night Mission (world's greatest pinball game)
NightMare Gallery
Odyssey
Old Ironsides
Orbitron
Pest Patrol (best stupid arcade shooting gallery ever written)
Phantom Five
Photar
Planetfall
Planetoids
Pool 1.5
President Elect
Pursuit of the Graf Spee
Quasar (PD)
Raster Blaster
Reargard
Rendezvous
Repton
Ringquest
Roach Hotel
Robot War
Rockey's Boots (kids, educational)
Sabotage
Sands of Mars
Santa Paravia (economic competition)
Sea Dragon (really tough game, speech from an Apple II+!)
Sea Fox
Serpent's Star
Serpentine
Shattered Alliance
Sheilah
Shoot 'em Up in Space
Shuttle Intercept
Sky Fox
Smurk
Snack Attack
Snake
Sneakers (amazingly fun arcade shoot-em-up)
Space Eggs
Spitfire
Spy's Demise
Star Blazer
Star Maze
Starship Commander
Stellan 7
Stone of Sisyphus
Swash Buckler
Taipan (economic competition plus warfare on the high seas)
Talon
Telengard
Teleport
Temple of Apshi
The Eliminator
The Game Show
Thief
Three Mile Island
Thunderbirds
Tigers in the Snow
Time Dungeon
Time Zone (12, 140K disks! Biggest Apple ][+ game ever?)
Torpedo Fire
Torpedo Terror
Trickshot
Ulyseus
Valkyrie
Viper
Wargle
Warp Destroyer
Warp Factor
Wavy Navy
Wizardry
Zaxxon
Zenith

IBM PC:

Starflight II

C64:

M.U.L.E., Dragonriders of Pern

(Guess which computer _I_ still have, even if it doesn't work)

By no means are all those Apple games the world's greatest, I'm just
trying to build a base list. The ones I kept going back to were:

   AE; Ali Baba; Alien; Bam; Cannonball Blitz; Choplifter; Crush,
   Crumble, & Chomp; David's Midnight Magic; Dung Beetles; Gold Rush;
   Karateka; the Loadrunner trilogy; Mask of the Sun; Microwave;
   Night Mission; Nightmare Gallery; Pest Patrol; Pool 1.5; Quasar;
   Roach Hotel; Santa Paravia; Sea Dragon; Snack Attack; Sneakers;
   Space Eggs; Spy's Demise; Star Blazer; Star Maze; Swash Buckler;
   Taipan; Teleport; Temple of Apshi; Thief; Wargle; ; Wavy Navy;
   and Zaxxon.

Each of those games would be worth a port, not because they'd be a great
challenge for the Amiga, or show it off especially, but just because
they are a lot of fun to play, with lasting value.

Kent, the man from xanth.

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) (01/01/91)

In article <1991Jan1.041637.29553@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
[ ... ]
> But anyway! Maybe we could get a thread going here of golden oldie
> "Games I'd Like to See on the Amgia", and then take a vote on the list
> and send the results off to EA, Psygnosis, and a few other shops.

[ most of list deleted ]
> Canyon Climber

Heh heh.  I know the fellow who did the Apple II version of this.  He never
thought much of it... (good programmer, though)

> Crossfire

I love this one.  Unbelievably difficult control scheme!

> Night Mission (world's greatest pinball game)

Yup...

> Space Eggs

I remember loving this one but can't for the life of me remember what it was
about.  Anyone care to refresh my memory?

Y'know, I still don't understand why lots of the older, simpler games are
just abandoned when more sophisticated hardware comes out.  Some of those
old games were flat out *fun*, despite having sometimes simple graphics.
Plus, I think that lots of them would be a snap to port compared to doing
some of the "modern" games.  They could bundle a few of them together and
still probably not charge too much.  Oh well...

                                   - Neil

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs        //     What was sliced bread
att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com   \X/    the greatest thing since?

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan1.041637.29553@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>But anyway! Maybe we could get a thread going here of golden oldie
>"Games I'd Like to See on the Amgia", and then take a vote on the list
>and send the results off to EA, Psygnosis, and a few other shops.

Yes!  I also remember a few classics that I'd love to see on the Amiga.
How about:
	Wizardry (I played this on the IBM)
	Rocketball (C64)
	Ballblazer (C64, Atari 800)
	Racing Destruction Set (C64)

Also, there used to be a lot of Summer Games, Winter Games, etc. types that
were great fun when a bunch of us would get together.  We'd have tournaments
that would wear out a joystick VERY quickly.  The Amiga versions of this
`olympics` type of game either don't exist, or have become too complex to be
fun.  I'd like to see some of these oldies resurrected .....

>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (01/03/91)

Convert the 64 version of Space Taxi by MUSE Software to the Amiga...
and don't over-glitz the port!  A version of Space Taxi would have the
potential to be a big seller, in my view.

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #5: Wait for the closest parking space; ignore the |
| cars behind you who'd be happy with *any* space sometime this millenium.  |

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/03/91)

>Yes!  I also remember a few classics that I'd love to see on the Amiga.
>How about:
>	Wizardry (I played this on the IBM)
>	Rocketball (C64)
>	Ballblazer (C64, Atari 800)

You're in luck for at least this one title. As I mentioned before, I
picked up a few English Amiga Mags from my local software dealer and
lo-and-behold if there wasn't an ad in one of them for what looks like
a full blown Amigatized version of Ballblazer! (Looks exactly the same
only with more detail) It's being called by a different name as this
port wasn't done by Lucasfilm Games, but hopefully they, or someone
else, will import it to the states. With the blitter chip tearing
things up we should get a pretty good simulation of speed as well.

>	Racing Destruction Set (C64)
>
>Also, there used to be a lot of Summer Games, Winter Games, etc. types that

I believe that Winter Games and World Games I both came out for the
Amiga. They were marginal ports at best.
--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (01/03/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Which brings up the question: when the software house buys the game,
>and then the farm, does ownership devolve back to the author?

Not unless this is specifically stated in the contract.  The rights to the
game devolve to the debtors of the company which has gone belly-up.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

mjt@voodoo.UUCP (Jim Tallant) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan1.041637.29553@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>But anyway! Maybe we could get a thread going here of golden oldie
>"Games I'd Like to See on the Amgia", and then take a vote on the list
>and send the results off to EA, Psygnosis, and a few other shops.
>
>I'll start:
>
>Apple II+:
>
>Choplifter

I'd vote for this one. Loved watching those cute little guys running
after the helicopter.

>David's Midnight Magic (another great pinball game)

Landmark Apple game.

>Dig Dug

Never played it on the Apple but loved the arcade version

>Eliza

Yawn.

>Gold Rush

Isn't there a Gold Rush for the Amiga?  Never played it. Don't know if
it's the same one.

>Hard Hat Mack

This one was fun!

>Knight of Diamonds
>Labyrinth
>Legacy of LLygamyn
>Santa Paravia (economic competition)

>Lemmings

Is this the same game I've been reading about in this newsgroup?

>Loderunner
>Miner 2049er

Both classics and a lot of fun.  Sounds like the Lemmings game being previewed
here for the amiga is cut from the same mold.

>Knight of Diamonds
>Labyrinth
>Legacy of LLygamyn
>Santa Paravia (economic competition)
>Taipan (economic competition plus warfare on the high seas)
>Temple of Apshi
>Wizardry

What a trip down memory lane.  These games are the reason I bought my first
computer.  (TRS80 Model I, 16K mem and a cassett drive!).
Still have the Trash80 and the games.  Have to dig them out again some day.

BTW, Santa Paravia was ported to the Amiga.  Picked it up for about $5 at
a Swapmeet.  Played exactly the same as the TRS80 version, just prettier
(static) pictures.

>Each of those games would be worth a port, not because they'd be a great
>challenge for the Amiga, or show it off especially, but just because
>they are a lot of fun to play, with lasting value.

Key word there is _FUN_.  Too many of the new games are all flash and no fun.
And they do indeed have lasting value.  Why else have I not only kept my
Apple //e but also my TRS80 Model I.

>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

Jim Tallant - BoGART Dweeb
mjt@voodoo.boeing.com
uunet!bcstec!voodoo!mjt

elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) (01/04/91)

>Yes!  I also remember a few classics that I'd love to see on the Amiga.
>How about:
>	Wizardry (I played this on the IBM)

I used to play Wizardry many moons ago on an Apple, and yes it was a classic.
However, Dungeon Master (and I'm sure many other games) have a very similar
concept and a much better gameplay.  Something I would like to see on amiga is
something paralleling another old apple game, Cytron Masters, which was a very
strategical multiplayer game involving battlesquads of robots and (naturally) a
battlefield.  I wrote off many afternoons playing this in school.

Cheers, Elson
--
Elson Markwick | The only good cat |ACSnet:  elson@otc.otca.oz.au
OTC R & D Unit |is a stir-fried cat|UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!elson

amiga-relay@ee.udel.edu (01/04/91)

From: fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

The closest thing to CYTRON MASTERS is Origin's OMEGA (NOT the PD dungeon
crawler, but a game of programming cybernetic tanks).
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (01/07/91)

I bought that game about a year ago, it's a slightly below average
game. The concept is good but it is clear that the programmers spent very
minimal effort enhancing the game from the 64 version to Amiga. THe
basic gripe I have is that the game becomes very slow as you build a
more complex tank program, it felt like I was playing on my old Apple.

I would not buy this game at full price, but if you can get it for
$5-10 in the discount bin then its an OK buy.

scottb@disdom.UUCP (Scott Barcik) (01/08/91)

In article <2136@otc.otca.oz> elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) writes:
>>Yes!	I also remember a few classics that I'd love to see on the Amiga.
>>How about:
>>	Wizardry (I played this on the IBM)
>
>I used to play Wizardry many moons ago on an Apple, and yes it was a classic.
>However, Dungeon Master (and I'm sure many other games) have a very similar
>concept and a much better gameplay.  Something I would like to see on amiga is
>something paralleling another old apple game, Cytron Masters, which was a very
>strategical multiplayer game involving battlesquads of robots and (naturally) a
>battlefield.  I wrote off many afternoons playing this in school.

    If you look in the latest Amiga World (p 63) you'll find something that
will no doubt delight you and every other Wizardy/Dungeonmaster fan out there.
A new Wizardry! (Bane of the Cosmic Forge)

    From what the add says, it doesn't look all that bad, either.

    Some of the features:
    -Dungeonmaster like view-point
    -400 items of armor and weponry
    -11 Races
    -14 Professions w/ Ranks
    -Dozens of Weaponry, Physical, and Academia skills
    -Multiple Fighting and Parry modes
    -Ranged, Primary, and Secondary Weapons
    -Six spellbooks, 462 spell combinations
    -Multiple Armor Classes
    -Artifical Intelligence when talking to others

    I am definately waiting for this game...:-)  (I only hope my wallet is
ready! :-)   )

Scott Barcik - InterNet: scottb@disdom.UUCP	    WWIV-Net: 3@5309
		    USENET: ....!uunet!glacier!disdom!scottb
	"...and now back to our previously scheduled newsgroup..."