[comp.sys.amiga.games] Gyrus... and the Classics!

manes@vger.nsu.edu (12/29/90)

Greetings one and all!

I just had an opportunity over the Christmas break to play Gyrus on the
Commodore 64.  Has _anyone_ seen this game done for the Amiga?  It was
a nice trip down memory lane when I wapred to Uranus!  I used to play
this one in  the arcades as well!

I sure wish some of the old "classics" would be written for the Amiga.
I would love to see Joust, Wizard of Wor and a real Pacman!

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes                    "Mr. AmigaVision"
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/29/90)

In article <399.277ba5fe@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:
!>Greetings one and all!
!>
!>I just had an opportunity over the Christmas break to play Gyrus on the
!>Commodore 64.  Has _anyone_ seen this game done for the Amiga?  It was
!>a nice trip down memory lane when I wapred to Uranus!  I used to play
!>this one in  the arcades as well!
!>
!>I sure wish some of the old "classics" would be written for the Amiga.
!>I would love to see Joust, Wizard of Wor and a real Pacman!

While you're at it, lets see versions of M.U.L.E., Lords Of Conquest,
Racing Destruction Set and Pinball Construction Set. All games worth
keeping your old C64 for.

				-Moriland

        "All usual disclaimers apply..."     | Founder Of: Evil Young
  //                                         | Mutants For A Better Tommorow.
\X/ "Only Amiga Makes It Possible."          | hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (12/29/90)

> !>
> !>I sure wish some of the old "classics" would be written for the Amiga.
> !>I would love to see Joust, Wizard of Wor and a real Pacman!
>
> While you're at it, lets see versions of M.U.L.E., Lords Of Conquest,
> Racing Destruction Set and Pinball Construction Set. All games worth
> keeping your old C64 for.
>
> 				-Moriland
There is an Amiga version of a pinball construction set.  It is called

Power Pinball, and is put out  by KarmaSoft.  It offers a lot of
features, including the capability to import and use your own pre-
digitized IFF and sound files.  It is still a far cry from the real thing,
however; I have yet to get so caught up that I try to tilt the keyboard.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| werjun@large              |  I'm so sick of hearing about Elvis.  |
+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +         I wish he was dead!           +
|                           |                                       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

vcp6840@isc.rit.edu (V.C. Povilaitis) (12/30/90)

In article <399.277ba5fe@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>Greetings one and all!

>I sure wish some of the old "classics" would be written for the Amiga.
>I would love to see Joust, Wizard of Wor and a real Pacman!
>
> -mark=

There's money to be made porting the classics to the new computers!
My friends and I always wish that we could play those oldies without
dragging out those old computers.  Didja notice that Oil's Well from
Sierra has been re-done for PC's using new VGA graphics, animated
intermissions, and new sound/music?  I hope this will be a trend!!!

-Vitas P.-

--
-Vitas P.-    | 22 Wolcott Avenue, Rochester, NY 14606
Rochester     | vcp6840@ritvax.bitnet or vcp6840@ultb.isc.rit.edu

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/30/90)

In article <403.277c79d5@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:

......[deleted].......

%>> While you're at it, lets see versions of M.U.L.E., Lords Of Conquest,
%>> Racing Destruction Set and Pinball Construction Set. All games worth
%>> keeping your old C64 for.
%>>
%>> 				-Moriland
%>There is an Amiga version of a pinball construction set.  It is called
%>
%>Power Pinball, and is put out  by KarmaSoft.  It offers a lot of
%>features, including the capability to import and use your own pre-
%>digitized IFF and sound files.  It is still a far cry from the real thing,
%>however; I have yet to get so caught up that I try to tilt the keyboard.
%>

I have tried Power Pinball. I repeat my cry for a REAL version of
Pinball Construction Set. (One was promised by EA, but they never did
it.) Power Pinball is sad. Sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad. Don't buy
it. Don't think about buying it. Don't even believe it exists and pray
someone makes a real one.

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (12/30/90)

manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>I sure wish some of the old "classics" would be written for the Amiga.
>I would love to see Joust, Wizard of Wor and a real Pacman!
I too. Why do not anyone want to make a Joust game? I am weirdoly crazed
with this game, especially in the arcades.
   And Racing Destruction .. on the C64, at least someone should make some-
thing like this! Did you know, that it is possible to build a ramp and drive
up it so fast, that you fly of the playing area and out into the RAM or ROM,
where you of course explode. The concept of this game is not outdated at all,
but I could imagine a poor version being made, like SEUCK for  the Amiga.

gl11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory James Legowski) (12/30/90)

While we're talking about classic games, let's not forget some of the classics
of the arcade that never made it home.

I'm thinking of games like Tempest and Sinistar.  And of course classics from
the C64--Gyruss, Wizard of Wor, BluePrint (anyone else remember this one--I
still have the cart but not a working C64!)  I could spend HOURS coming up with
a "classics" list I'd love to see done, but I don't have the experience on the
Amiga I'd need (I'm mostly a <GASP!!> IBM-compatible user/programmer) to do
true justice to any of them... Sigh...

Anyone feel like picking up a project? :-)
(What would the legal status on copies of "older" games like these be? Wouldn't
want to get myself sued if I ever DID manage to program one...  Just covering
my tracks before I make them...)

Greg Legowski  |  gl11@andrew.cmu.edu  |  Whatever it was, I didn't do it...

In <403.277c79d5@vger.nsu.edu>, cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:

>There is an Amiga version of a pinball construction set.  It is called
>Power Pinball, and is put out  by KarmaSoft.  It offers a lot of
>features, including the capability to import and use your own pre-
>digitized IFF and sound files.  It is still a far cry from the real thing,
>however; I have yet to get so caught up that I try to tilt the keyboard.

Awright! (but I hate to have to ask the following question) Is it copy
protected?

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (01/01/91)

>>There is an Amiga version of a pinball construction set.  It is called
>>Power Pinball, and is put out  by KarmaSoft.  It offers a lot of
>>features, including the capability to import and use your own pre-
>>digitized IFF and sound files.  It is still a far cry from the real thing,
>>however; I have yet to get so caught up that I try to tilt the keyboard.
>
> Awright! (but I hate to have to ask the following question) Is it copy
> protected?
>
> -larry

      It is not copy-protected, to the best of my memory. (I haven't played
with it for a while.) If I remember correctly, I was able to copy the master
disk to play around with.

Jean

rodan@wpi.WPI.EDU (Daniel Hunt) (01/04/91)

In article <399.277ba5fe@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>Greetings one and all!
>
>I just had an opportunity over the Christmas break to play Gyrus on the
>Commodore 64.  Has _anyone_ seen this game done for the Amiga?  It was
>a nice trip down memory lane when I wapred to Uranus!  I used to play
>this one in  the arcades as well!
>
>I sure wish some of the old "classics" would be written for the Amiga.
>I would love to see Joust, Wizard of Wor and a real Pacman!
>
> -mark=
I *Couldn't* Agree more. when is some company going to realize that it's
worth their while to wade through the red tape and bring these classics to
the amiga! wow. what translations they could make.

As for a *REAL* pacman, I 've got a PD european version that's *identical* to
the original in almost every respect. e-mail me if you want me to upload it to
an ftp site you can get to.

They don't make games like that anymore.....

At least not half as often...

bart@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au (John Butcher) (01/06/91)

With all this talk about "classic" games, one has to ask, Is there any amiga
versions of Galaga ?, there was a good one called Galaxy on the ol' 64, but
Ive never seen an amiga one !!

+---------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+
| John Butcher : bart@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au           | Black Bart's seen it, |
|                ...!uunet!asgard.pub.uu.oz.au!bart | Black Bart knows.  ;) |
+---------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) (01/07/91)

gl11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory James Legowski) writes:

> While we're talking about classic games, let's not forget some of the classic
> of the arcade that never made it home.
>
> I'm thinking of games like Tempest and Sinistar.  And of course classics from
SINISTAR!!!!!!!!  One of my ALL TIME favourites!!!  That's a game I'd pay
too much money for!  Someone could make a fortune on a disk that had three
or four of those games all together...

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (01/08/91)

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) writes:

>gl11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory James Legowski) writes:

>> While we're talking about classic games, let's not forget some of the classic
>> of the arcade that never made it home.
>>
>> I'm thinking of games like Tempest and Sinistar.  And of course classics from
>SINISTAR!!!!!!!!  One of my ALL TIME favourites!!!  That's a game I'd pay
>too much money for!  Someone could make a fortune on a disk that had three
>or four of those games all together...

Tell that to RJ Mical, author of Intuition.  He wrote the arcade version.  On
top of that, Commodore's first artist Jack Haegar did the artwork for Sinistar.

There's a game called Quarx or Quark or something to that effect, which is
similar, but not near as satisfying as the original.  I plan to invest in a
standup soon.
--
"No, no, no!  It is an empirical law of physics that the heat flux at any
point is proportional to the temperature gradient at that point."