[comp.sys.amiga.games] Wing Commander?

mmccarth@ub.d.umn.edu (Mark McCarthy) (01/05/91)

I was recently paging through an issue of Computer Gaming World and an ad for
Origin's Wing Commander caught my eye.  Unfortunately, it was listed as
being available for only the IBM.  Anybody know if this might be released in
the future for the Amiga?  It looked absolutely stunning!

Mark
mmccarth@c.ub.umn.edu

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/05/91)

In article <600@ub.d.umn.edu> mmccarth@ub.d.umn.edu (Mark McCarthy) writes:
%>I was recently paging through an issue of Computer Gaming World and an ad for
%>Origin's Wing Commander caught my eye.  Unfortunately, it was listed as
%>being available for only the IBM.  Anybody know if this might be released in
%>the future for the Amiga?  It looked absolutely stunning!

Wing Commander is an impressive looking game, but it's too slow on
anything less than a 386.

As for an Amiga version, I read in an article on CDTV projects that
Origin had plans to produce it on CD-ROM for the CDTV.

				-Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

ztsindi@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Bill Gant) (01/06/91)

Posted for Clayton J. Miner...Text to Follow
 | Todd G Vaarwerk      | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                |
 | State University of  | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU |
 |  New York at Buffalo |           VAARWERK@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 | Disclaimer: Believe what you want .. I trashed all my views of|
 |             reality ages ago  d8-)                            |
 -------------------------------------
>As for an Amiga version, I read in an article on CDTV projects that
>Origin had plans to produce it on CD-ROM for the CDTV.
>
>				-Moriland

I have encountered advertisements for Wing Commander in some of the British
Amiga magazines and read a blurb somewhere that strongly implied that it will
be available sometime in '91.  It did not say that it would be available for
the CDTV or not, and given the difficulties that CommieDork seems to be having
releasing the system, I doubt that it will be.  Here's hoping!!!

 |                Clayton J. Miner - Reality Engineer                  |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 | SysOp - Known World BBS | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                   |
 | (716)-883-3083 300-2400 | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 |   The views of this post are not those of the host organization.    |

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/07/91)

In article <53591@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> ztsindi@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
%>
%>I have encountered advertisements for Wing Commander in some of the British
%>Amiga magazines and read a blurb somewhere that strongly implied that it will
%>be available sometime in '91.  It did not say that it would be available for
%>the CDTV or not, and given the difficulties that CommieDork seems to be having
%>releasing the system, I doubt that it will be.  Here's hoping!!!

Which magazine did you see the ads for it in? I haven't seen any ads
for it in the British mags I've been reading. As for difficulties with
releasing CDTV, I haven't heard of any. Mostly it's more that
Commodore is being careful about it. Doing a test market and all.
Makes good sense to me.

					-Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |
| Founder Of: Evil Young        | \XX/                                 |
| Mutants For A Better Tomorrow |       "Single Tasking: JUST SAY NO!" |

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (01/08/91)

In article <4564@vela.acs.oakland.edu> hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) writes:
                                [...]
>for it in the British mags I've been reading. As for difficulties with
>releasing CDTV, I haven't heard of any. Mostly it's more that
>Commodore is being careful about it. Doing a test market and all.
>Makes good sense to me.
                                [...]
Well, maybe after seeing all the dire predictions of how nasty the '90
Christmas season was going to be they decided to wait on the introduction.

All I had heard about it indicated that they were predicting an introduction
timed for the '90 Christmas season.  Normally when someone announces that
XYZ computer-based whizzymijig will be available in the month of Foobar and
then Foober and a couple more months pass by without any more indication of
a release, people are inclined to think that the company is experiencing
difficulties in the labs.

Disclaimer - I have never seen an actual announcement by Commodore that CDTV
would be shipping in any particular time frame, so the worst thing I could
accuse them of is allowing the *impression* of a Christmas season release to
prevale in the Amiga market.  Of course, this is sort of like accusing a
ship's captain of allowing a hurricane to prevale in the South Seas  ;^).

But seriously, the people I heard talking about it seemed convinced that it
was supposed to be released in Oct/Nov.  That might be why some folks think
there are unchronicled difficulties hindering CDTV.

Speaking of unchronicled difficulties, has anyone ever heard anything about
the Thor (TM) rewritable CD technology that Tandy unveiled with such fanfare
a few years ago?  I thought they were supposed to already have a product out
by now.  If they don't get their tales in gear the Japanese electronics giants
will have magnetic-technology rewritables selling cheaper than Tandy will be
able to sell the initial Thor technology units for...

One of the problems with late introductions of new products is the income
that is unrecoverably lost because competitors won't wait for you.  It is sort
of like graduating from college a year late.  You've lost an entire year's
income at your career salary rate.  Of course, for some of us, delaying our
graduation may add another year to our life  ;^).

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan07.205438.6824@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>Speaking of unchronicled difficulties, has anyone ever heard anything about
>the Thor (TM) rewritable CD technology that Tandy unveiled with such fanfare
>a few years ago?  I thought they were supposed to already have a product out
>by now.  If they don't get their tales in gear the Japanese electronics giants
>will have magnetic-technology rewritables selling cheaper than Tandy will be
>able to sell the initial Thor technology units for...

As far as I know, Thor hasn't been touted much as of late. If you read
Popular Science you will know that they already have an Audio version
of the very same MOD drives that you can purchase for your Amiga's
today. What most people call "erasable" CDs I see as being the new
MODs. In the article I read they had a player set up so that when you
put a normal CD in it it said CD on the front. When you put a MOD in,
it said MOD. It could play either, and made copies that the DAT
machines would be proud of. They said that current lines of CD players
would only require a minor modification to be able to play MODs.
(Minor chip variation I believe is what they mean. Too late for
already built models, but new ones would be fine)

					-Moriland