[comp.sys.amiga.games] DMII--the hand is faster than the eye.

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (01/02/91)

This is directed toward all those folks who have played DMII.

Has anyone out there had a problem with the pointer disappearing in the
middle of play?  Three times now, the arrow/hand disappeared completely.
The machine didn't crash.  I could keep on playing if I could
guesstimate where the pointer was.....butit was so tough to indulge in
combat that I ended up rebooting each time.

During one suc h session, one of my champions also disappeared.  That is,
his icon disappeared from the top right corner of my screen, but his
picture and weapons still showed above the dungeon screen.  He was still
alive and playable too.

I thought at first that this was a game gambit....but I cannot replicate it
at will nor by returning to the same place each time.

The disk itself seems to be okay, and will reboot just fine, leaving all my
characters intact.

Jean
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| werjun@large              |  It is better to be well for a day    |
+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +         than sick for a year.         +
|                           |                  --Brother Dave       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Jason Freund) (01/02/91)

	...About the pointer disappearing periodically in CSB...

	Yeah, me too.  It doesn't happen often enough to be annoying,
but it is definately a bug.  At first I thought it was the computer --
I was playing it on my roommates 500 with the expansion port open so
that little metal pieces could touch it.  But since someone else on
the net had the same problem, it must be a bug.  I wonder what FTL has
to say about it?

Jason

tt@thor.acc.Virginia.EDU (Tang Tang) (01/03/91)

In article <414.2780e8a1@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>This is directed toward all those folks who have played DMII.
>
>Has anyone out there had a problem with the pointer disappearing in the
>middle of play?  Three times now, the arrow/hand disappeared completely.
>The machine didn't crash.  I could keep on playing if I could
>guesstimate where the pointer was.....butit was so tough to indulge in
>combat that I ended up rebooting each time.
>
 >During one suc h session, one of my champions also disappeared.  That is,
 >his icon disappeared from the top right corner of my screen, but his
 >picture and weapons still showed above the dungeon screen.  He was still
 >alive and playable too.

 The pointer also disappeared to me once, rebooted the machine and
everything else is back to normal.  I'm using an Amiga 1000 and kickstart
1.2.

Tang Tang
University of Virginia
Academic Computing Center

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan2.184215.1112@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, tt@thor.acc.Virginia.EDU (Tang Tang) writes:
> In article <414.2780e8a1@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>>This is directed toward all those folks who have played DMII.
>>
>>Has anyone out there had a problem with the pointer disappearing in the
>>middle of play?  Three times now, the arrow/hand disappeared completely.
>>The machine didn't crash.  I could keep on playing if I could
>>guesstimate where the pointer was.....butit was so tough to indulge in
>>combat that I ended up rebooting each time.
>>
>  >During one suc h session, one of my champions also disappeared.  That is,
>  >his icon disappeared from the top right corner of my screen, but his
>  >picture and weapons still showed above the dungeon screen.  He was still
>  >alive and playable too.
>  >

>  The pointer also disappeared to me once, rebooted the machine and
> everything else is back to normal.  I'm using an Amiga 1000 and kickstart
> 1.2.
>
> Tang Tang
> University of Virginia
> Academic Computing Center

    I (the original poster ) am also using an A1000, but with Kickstart 1.3.
I wonder if that means anything at all.....

vic@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Vic Rattlehead) (01/03/91)

I have had the pointer disappear as well.  It happens to me when I click
too many times on the secret walls.

Hope this helps.

egp@sarah.amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Eric Plante) (01/06/91)

In a message posted on 1 Jan 91 23:53:05 GMT,
cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu wrote:
c>This is directed toward all those folks who have played DMII.
c>
c>Has anyone out there had a problem with the pointer disappearing in the
c>middle of play?  Three times now, the arrow/hand disappeared completely.
c>The machine didn't crash.  I could keep on playing if I could
c>guesstimate where the pointer was.....butit was so tough to indulge in
c>combat that I ended up rebooting each time.

Yes, this has happened to me too once (yesterday). It happened as I was
repeatedly knocking on the wall (out of frustration :-) ). The hand
disappeared but I could still play by guesswork.

c>During one suc h session, one of my champions also disappeared.  That is,
c>his icon disappeared from the top right corner of my screen, but his

That also happened when my hand disappeared. I figured that I had clicked
on the character without knowing it. I tried my best to click back on that
spot, and it came back.

DMII seems to be crashing much more often than DM ever did. It has become
almost unplayable my friend's computer (2000, 2meg extra on 8-up board(?),
GVP 100meg). On my system it tends to do wierd things from time time, and I
have a 500w/A590 hard drive, 2 meg total. Would it be having problems with
expansion memory?

c>| werjun@large              |  It is better to be well for a day    |
c>+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +         than sick for a year.         +

---
[                                    ][                                  ]
[ Eric Plante                        ][ Opinions expressed in this       ]
[   Fido: 1:163/109.63 (819)568-6850 ][ message do not necessarily       ]
[   UUCP: ...!fts1!atronx!sarah!egp  ][ reflect those of its author..    ]
[____________________________________][__________________________________]

egp@sarah.amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Eric Plante) (01/06/91)

In a message posted on 1 Jan 91 23:53:05 GMT,
cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu wrote:
c>This is directed toward all those folks who have played DMII.
c>
c>Has anyone out there had a problem with the pointer disappearing in the
c>middle of play?  Three times now, the arrow/hand disappeared completely.
c>The machine didn't crash.  I could keep on playing if I could
c>guesstimate where the pointer was.....butit was so tough to indulge in
c>combat that I ended up rebooting each time.

This has happened to me as well, by hitting the wall with the hand
repeatedly (out of frustration)...

c>During one suc h session, one of my champions also disappeared.  That is,
c>his icon disappeared from the top right corner of my screen, but his

This has also happened to me, while my hand was out to lunch. I think it
did this because I had clicked on that character icon without knowing it,
because I tried re-clicking on the empty space (by guesswork, having no
pointer) and it came back.
    My friend is also having problems with DMII. He has 3 megs of memory
total. I have two megs and wierd things tend to happen. Has anyone with 1
meg had problems? DMII might not like expanded memory beyond the req'd
1meg.

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (01/09/91)

In article <1755.663189060@sarah.amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca>, egp@sarah.amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Eric Plante) writes:

> DMII seems to be crashing much more often than DM ever did. It has become
> almost unplayable my friend's computer (2000, 2meg extra on 8-up board(?),
> GVP 100meg). On my system it tends to do wierd things from time time, and I
> have a 500w/A590 hard drive, 2 meg total. Would it be having problems with
> expansion memory?

I don't know if it's expansion memory or not.  I have an A1000 with 2 1/2
megs and two drives.  DM *never* crashed during the whole time I played it.
But DMII does weird things every now and then.  I have never had it
actually CRASH so that I had to reboot, but I have gotten to the point where
I chose to reboot rather than tolerate disappearing limbs.

Is there a good way to handle using the hint oracle?  I mostly don't use it
at all, because it is such a pain to stop the game, boot the utilities disk,
and reboot the game (which takes forever).   My manual says something about
using the restart (restore?) option on the oracle menu, but I ain't got no
such thing.

Jean
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| werjun@large              |  I'm so sick of hearing about Elvis.  |
+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +         I wish he was dead!           +
|                           |      (he's 56 today, you know.)       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/09/91)

In article <444.278a29d0@vger.nsu.edu>, cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:

> megs and two drives.  DM *never* crashed during the whole time I played it.
> But DMII does weird things every now and then.  I have never had it
> actually CRASH so that I had to reboot, but I have gotten to the point where
> I chose to reboot rather than tolerate disappearing limbs.
>
> Is there a good way to handle using the hint oracle?  I mostly don't use it
> at all, because it is such a pain to stop the game, boot the utilities disk,
> and reboot the game (which takes forever).   My manual says something about
> using the restart (restore?) option on the oracle menu, but I ain't got no
> such thing.
>
> Jean

I thought that restart option was always active as long as you were
playing the game on two drives- you slip the utilities disk out, put
in the CSB disk, and go. Mebbe I'm wrong...
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?" - Pink Floyd