[net.travel] Canada border crossing

bennison@clt.DEC (02/19/86)

----
I've travelled in Canada probably twenty-five or thirty times in my life,
and I have never had or been asked for ANY I.D. of any kind.  They used to
ask for your place of birth.  We always said U.S. for me though I was really
born to American parents overseas.  Now they just ask for country of citizen-
ship.  I never even had any hassles back in the early seventies when I was a
bearded hippie type with a peace symbol necklace driving a beat up convertable
sportscar.
					- Vick Bennison

P.S.  What I meant above was that I have never carried a passport, nor have
I ever been asked for so much as a driver's license, either entering Canada
or re-entering the U.S.

rayazwinski@watmath.UUCP (Rick Yazwinski) (02/21/86)

In article <1229@decwrl.DEC.COM> bennison@clt.DEC writes:

>----
>I've travelled in Canada probably twenty-five or thirty times in my life,
>and I have never had or been asked for ANY I.D. of any kind.  They used to
>ask for your place of birth.  We always said U.S. for me though I was really
>born to American parents overseas.  Now they just ask for country of citizen-
>ship.  I never even had any hassles back in the early seventies when I was a
>bearded hippie type with a peace symbol necklace driving a beat up convertable
>sportscar.
>					- Vick Bennison
>
>P.S.  What I meant above was that I have never carried a passport, nor have
>I ever been asked for so much as a driver's license, either entering Canada
>or re-entering the U.S.

Ah, yes Vick you may never have had any problems. But the one time that
the customs officer has had a bad day and decides to check you out
(contraband, etc.) you will be up the creek without a paddle.

				Rick...

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/21/86)

Both U.S. and Canadian citizens are required to have proof of
citizenship (i.e. birth certificate, citizenship certificate,
passport, etc.) to cross between the two countries.  As others
have indicated, this requirement is not often enforced.  But
it exists, and you are silly not to carry such documentation
before crossing the border.

Mark Brader
Toronto