[comp.sys.amiga.games] MasterBlazer

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/05/91)

This is a follow-up to a post made earlier from someone wishing that
Ballblazer would be ported to the Amiga:

You're in luck. As I mentioned earlier, a port has been done. It's
called MASTERBLAZER and is from Rainbow Arts. There's a review of it
in the January 1991 issue of England's AMIGA FORMAT magazine.

They give it a 89% rating and offer the following comments:

o Super-fast moving graphics and well produced sound give the game an
  impressive appearance.

o The simple gameplay is easy to get into, but difficult to master.

o The tournament option allows you to bring in friends (upto 8) and
  play a highly competitive contest.

o The additional race game (you race against your opponent down a
  track litered with sets of beams and plasmorbs. The idea being to
  inflict ten points of damage on your opponent.) gives you a chance
  to take a break from the main game and burnn off energy by smashing
  your opponent. Yah!

o A surperb example of how to update and improve an old 8-bit game.
  Rainbow Arts has imported a few of their games to the states so
  hopefully we will see this one as well.

                                        -Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (01/06/91)

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) writes:

>This is a follow-up to a post made earlier from someone wishing that
>Ballblazer would be ported to the Amiga:
>
>You're in luck. As I mentioned earlier, a port has been done. It's
>called MASTERBLAZER and is from Rainbow Arts. There's a review of it
>in the January 1991 issue of England's AMIGA FORMAT magazine.

Interesting.  I didn't think that Lucasfilm had authorized a port of
BallBlazer - at least, the last time I talked to them about it, they
hadn't.  I do believe that I'll send a copy of this posting off to
them - I've no problem with a BallBlazer port, but hope that it's
a legitimate one.  Personally, I think it serves Lucasfilm right for
not doing it themselves, but there are issues of courtesy and morality,
if not legality, here...

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/06/91)

In article <22439@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>>You're in luck. As I mentioned earlier, a port has been done. It's
>>called MASTERBLAZER and is from Rainbow Arts. There's a review of it
>>in the January 1991 issue of England's AMIGA FORMAT magazine.
>
>Interesting.  I didn't think that Lucasfilm had authorized a port of
>BallBlazer - at least, the last time I talked to them about it, they
>hadn't.  I do believe that I'll send a copy of this posting off to
>them - I've no problem with a BallBlazer port, but hope that it's
>a legitimate one.  Personally, I think it serves Lucasfilm right for
>not doing it themselves, but there are issues of courtesy and morality,
>if not legality, here...

They probably haven't. It could be that copyright of the product
doesn't extend to the UK. In which case, we will never see it here. Or
the fact that it is being billed right in it's ad as a sequel to
Ballblazer instead of a port. It does have quite a few differences.

Either way, it's at least nice to know someone is trying. Personnally,
I think Lucasfilm are a bunch of idiots for not having done a port of
it already. It was one of the programs worth keeping your C-64 for.
I'll buy it mailorder from England if I have to...

				-Moriland

--

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (01/10/91)

I wrote:

>I've no problem with a BallBlazer port, but hope that it's
>a legitimate one.

And here's the answer I got from Lucasfilm Games:

:Thanks for the review, Mike!  Actually, this is a fully authorized version of
:the game.  Rainbow Arts is one of our partners in Europe.  We don't currently
:have plans to market the game in the US, however.

So, it's legit, and I'm glad of that.  Not marketing in the US, though,
sucks.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us