[comp.sys.amiga.games] DON'T BUY FUTURE WARS

keithh@bwdls40.bnr.ca (Keith Hanlan) (01/10/91)

In article <QbWWrmW00WB_MZ234z@andrew.cmu.edu> kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) writes:
>I am preparing for another games order and I would like to know a
>few important points about the following games, if anyone would like
>to comment:

>Future Wars

Future Wars was promising but:
	o While it can be installed on a hard-disk as advertised, the game
	doesn't run properly from a HD. You can't save the game.

	o The user interface is very awkward and poorly designed - the 3D
	perspective is nice but it is very difficult to place your character
	in exactly the right place to perform a function. (For example, you
	walk across a carpeted room and feel something under the carpet a
	one point. When you try to lift the carpet, unless you are in
	exactly the right position, the game tells you either that you are
	standing on the carpet or you are too far from the carpet.) It takes
	too many iterations of simple movements to get the game to do what
	you want  and as a consequence, game-play is seriously compromised.

	o The North American distributer, Interplay Productions, has no
	handle on the game designers, Delphine who are French.  In 4
	telephone conversations with Interplay since May 25th, I have yet to
	receive any satisfaction. I spent a lot of money on the game because
    it advertised itself as hard-disk installable.

	I'm sick of being robbed by these incompetant boobs who have never
	heard of play-testing or beta-testing. SSI's much vaunted Pool of
	Radiance falls into the same category: A good game, that is
	hard-drive installable to their credit, which fails miserably
	because nobody tried to play the goddam thing before they shipped
	it. Perhaps I'm a little sensitive to the issue since I spent two
	years doing human factors and user interface R&D but ARGGGGHHH!

off soap-box
Keith

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (01/11/91)

In article <5188@bwdls58.UUCP> keithh@atreus.bnr.ca (Keith Hanlan) writes:
>In article <QbWWrmW00WB_MZ234z@andrew.cmu.edu> kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) writes:
>>I am preparing for another games order and I would like to know a
>>few important points about the following games, if anyone would like
>>to comment:

>>Future Wars
>
>Future Wars was promising but:

   [Some Future Wars problems deleted}

>	o The North American distributer, Interplay Productions, has no
>	handle on the game designers, Delphine who are French.  In 4

Yup, they do seem to have a problem with this group of game designers.  I got
the game "James Bond - The Stealth Affair" for Christmas, made by the same
people and also distributed by Interplay.  Most of the criticisms you mention
about Future Wars apply to this game.  I have other gripes as well:
	- There is a big `OK` message which you have to click on to get from
	  the intro to the next part of the game.  You have to click on a
	  tiny little spot on the OK to get it to work.  I thought my disk
	  had crashed the first two times I tried to boot it.
	- Although JBTSA runs from hard disk, the installation procedure
	  in the manual is incorrect.
	- You still need a floppy disk to save games in progress.
	- There is a LONG intro,  sporting cheesy IBM-style graphics
	  which you must sit through each time you restart the game.
	- The game requires you to pick a color from a multi-colored picture
	  on the game manual's back cover. Not only is this impossible for
	  anyone with even slight color-blindness, but you have to pick *2*
	  colors before you can play the game.  Why two?????

I was really impressed with Dragon Wars (also an Interplay game), but they
appear to have dumped many of the 'good' features of that game when they
distributed Future Wars and The Stealth Affair.....

>off soap-box
>Keith

Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK