[comp.sys.amiga.games] POWERDROME

Sylvain@Speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) (01/03/91)

I would appreciate if someone owning Powerdrome would make a little review
about it.  I have seen the box in the store and it seems very promising to
me, but I have learn to not juge by the apperances!  Does the game plays
over the phone line or only with null-modem cable?  Is the animation fast?

Thanks!

--
Sylvain
                                                                   __

ztsindi@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Bill Gant) (01/03/91)

Posted for Clayton J. Miner...Text to Follow
 | Todd G Vaarwerk      | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                |
 | State University of  | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU |
 |  New York at Buffalo |           VAARWERK@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 | Disclaimer: Believe what you want .. I trashed all my views of|
 |             reality ages ago  d8-)                            |

In article <Sylvain.4494@Speedy.CAM.ORG>, Sylvain@Speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) writes...
>I would appreciate if someone owning Powerdrome would make a little review
>about it.  I have seen the box in the store and it seems very promising to
>me, but I have learn to not juge by the apperances!  Does the game plays
>over the phone line or only with null-modem cable?  Is the animation fast?

Yes indeed, the animation is fast, very fast, unfortunately this is offset, for
me, by the difficulties i have had with anything but the basic track.  While it
is exceptionally gratifying to see the computer controlled opponants screw up
and dust off the walls (amid an equally satisfying shower of fragments), they
perform exceedingly well on the other tracks.  The programme can only be played
head-to-head via null modem cables, so I have never tried the option, but I
still found it to be an enjoyable experience.  On the plusside, while the game
does involve fine tuning your skimmer, it is not as complicated as the same
proceedure in Ferrari Formula One.  Is it worth buying, I think so...

 |                Clayton J. Miner - Reality Engineer                  |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 | SysOp - Known World BBS | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                   |
 | (716)-883-3083 300-2400 | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 |   The views of this post are not those of the host organization.    |

amiga-relay@ee.udel.edu (01/04/91)

From: fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

It would be a terrific game IF you could control the damn thing; we played
it at the store and all of us, even the arcade jocks, gave up in disgust.
I'd say pass on this one.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet[A

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (01/05/91)

amiga-relay@ee.udel.edu writes:
>It would be a terrific game IF you could control the damn thing; we played
>it at the store and all of us, even the arcade jocks, gave up in disgust.
Well some may find it hard, but I(for my self) find that practice helps.
It took me some hours to get reasonable control of the vehicle, but I seem
to get better and better. Also, there is a forcefield with variable strength,
one can switch on that will keep the ship in the centre of the track, but
I would not recommend starting with this, as at least I need the practice
in steering first! I have always used mouse, so I do not know if the game
lets you control with joystick. But I would think it to be impossible to
control the ship with such a device.
   Anyway, I like it a lot, but think one should try it somewhere with the
amount of time to find out what it is, before purchasing it.(Some like it,
some don't)

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (01/06/91)

COLE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> >From: fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
> >
> >It would be a terrific game IF you could control the damn thing; we played
> >it at the store and all of us, even the arcade jocks, gave up in disgust.
> >I'd say pass on this one.
>
> I'd say pass on this one as well.  I've had the game for a couple years now
> and still can't get into a productive groove.  It's very difficult to control

No way! Powerdrome is well worth playing once you get the hang of it.

Particularly look for an option which gives you 'shields' which improve
the handling at the expense of fuel consumption.

It's a lot of fun and the shorter races are quite easy...

Ciao.

--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (01/14/91)

I thought I would add a bit to the powerdrome review since I recently
got it and have played it a bit. Before the review though, I should note
that I got it for "free" when I ordered PowerMonger direct from EA Direct
the Electronic Arts direct order line. They are giving away one "classic"
when you order any new title.

Anyway, I got powerdrome and since PM was back ordered I played it first
for a while. The basic idea is kind of interesting, basically you're
flying a futuristic version of a bobsled on a 3D track. Unlike bobsleds
you "fly" and have repulsor fields and an airbrake etc.

The graphics are pretty good, because you don't have complete freedom
of movement (you can't fly off the track) etc. You do have some crontrol
over the "tuning" of your sled and there are actually only about 3 or 4
configurations that I've found that actually improve one's performance.

My biggest complaint with this program was the difficulty in controlling
the sled. It takes a light hand on the mouse (I couldn't get the hang
of using the joystick). The only way I could get the maneuvering speed
I wanted was to set the sensitivity to extremely high and then use
just the lightest touch to steer. This took a lot of practice (more than
I particularly cared for) and I still didn't win the championship.

As a digression, this is one of those games where a lot of practice and
skill are needed to control the game. The strategy aspects look tough
at the beginning, however after running around and checking the effects
of "tuning" the sled you find out which parameters are important and
those that are a placebo. Anyway, this part of the game was disappointing
to me because for me at least there were only two things that had any
effect and only a couple of settings were worthwhile. (rotational velocity
and the filters for the engines).

I probably would have been disappointed if I had paid for this program
but your mileage will vary.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM