[comp.sys.amiga.games] friendly to what?

jmt@legend.cma.fr (Jean-Marc Tanzi) (01/04/91)

Let me state first that I know nothing of AmigaDos (hope that should
not last long), only a bit of OS and real time principles.

So I have a question for the gurus: do you think that a program
that is "OS-friendly" can be seriously protected against piracy?
Isn't such a program an easy prey for the crackers?

For example, allowing multitasking means (at least) saving the process
state quite often, so it should be easy to trace/look/dump it (almost) any
time. Let's say when the copy-protection comes up.

Jean-Marc Tanzi  |  Millions of years to make oil and forests,
jmt@cma.cma.fr   |  a century to burn them. Mankind versus Nature: 100000 to 1.

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (01/05/91)

jmt@legend.cma.fr (Jean-Marc Tanzi) writes:

> Let me state first that I know nothing of AmigaDos (hope that should
> not last long), only a bit of OS and real time principles.
>
> So I have a question for the gurus: do you think that a program
> that is "OS-friendly" can be seriously protected against piracy?
> Isn't such a program an easy prey for the crackers?
>
> For example, allowing multitasking means (at least) saving the process
> state quite often, so it should be easy to trace/look/dump it (almost) any
> time. Let's say when the copy-protection comes up.

Let's just say that the collections of software that some pirates I
know 'own' has exactly the same ratio of non-protected and OS friendly
stuff to the highly protected, only-run-on-an-A500-with-512k-chip products.

That is one of the worst things about the non-OS friendly stuff - it would
appear to be unnecessary in some cases at least - and it doesn't stop
piracy.

Even worse than this - pirated games are often better than the original
because of the lack of annoying protection schemes.

Worse again, some of my friend's pirated games work on the Amiga 3000
while my legals ones won't.

Protection stinks!

--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (01/05/91)

jmt@legend.cma.fr (Jean-Marc Tanzi) writes:

>So I have a question for the gurus: do you think that a program
>that is "OS-friendly" can be seriously protected against piracy?
>Isn't such a program an easy prey for the crackers?

No.  It can't.  But then, neither can any other kind of program.  Crackers
will crack anything you come up with, whether it's OS friendly or not.
Might as well make it as convenient as possible for all of us folks who
put ourselves on the line by paying actual money.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (01/07/91)

Yes protection stinks. Even though I only have an enhanced 500 I alway feel
insecure about games I can't do back-up copies with.

My point is why can't S/W houses get into the habit sound off-disc protection?

The best example of this is Falcon. They use a code wheel. Not only that, but
the code-wheel is colored in suble blue to make it very hard to copy on
your average photo-copier PLUS they use complex icons instead of numbers to
dissuade attempts to copy down the combinations. This is the best form
of non-disk protection I have seen yet. AND I get to back up my Falcon disks.

Three cheers for all the S/W houses that go through the effort to devise
effective non-disk copy protection, like Spectrum Holobyte.

ps: All those who think F-18 is better than Falcon......please, get a life!

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (01/14/91)

In article <9519@mirsa.inria.fr> jmt@legend.cma.fr (Jean-Marc Tanzi) writes:
>So I have a question for the gurus: do you think that a program
>that is "OS-friendly" can be seriously protected against piracy?
>Isn't such a program an easy prey for the crackers?

No more or less so if you aren't OS friendly. The "crackers" don't need
to use the OS to run a state analyzer. The only serious cracking stuff
for the Amiga I've seen was this guy who had a disk the booted into
an analyzer and then watched your program run and checked for various
things.

>For example, allowing multitasking means (at least) saving the process
>state quite often, so it should be easy to trace/look/dump it (almost) any
>time. Let's say when the copy-protection comes up.

The "process state" you mention is pretty trivial relative to the application.
You last statement is the correct one "it should be easy to trace ..." And
this holds true with or without the OS.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM