[net.travel] Orphaned Response

usadaca@uiucuxc.UUCP (02/02/84)

#R:cbosgd:-81300:uiucuxc:5300004:37777777600:270
uiucuxc!usadaca    Feb  1 12:58:00 1984

i haven't personnaly gone on any club med vacations, but a
very good friend, who is also known as being very picky,
has gone to both cancun(sp?) and to a couple of the Caribbean
spots. he says they are the gretest things since sex and
spirited drinks!! good luck!!

momidvar@uok.UUCP (08/06/84)

#R:pyuxss:-35100:uok:8600008:37777777600:1228
uok!momidvar    Aug  6 11:07:00 1984

/***** uok:net.travel / pyuxss!sebb /  1:01 pm  Jul  3, 1984 */

	I just picked up 2 wonderful books. The series is
called The Sierra Club Guides to the National Parks. The
2 I bought are the guide to the Desert Southwest(parks included
are Arches, Big Bend, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef,
Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Guadalupe Mountains, Mesa Verde,
Pertrified Forest, and Zion) and the Pacific Southwest and Hawaii
(includes Channel Islands, Halelakala, Hawaii, Kings, Sequoia, Lassen,
Redwood, and Yosemite). The books give natural, human and geological
history, hiking trails, backpacking, maps, and facilities within
each park. And, of course, gorgeous pictures. For anyone interested
in exploring the National Parks, these books are the best around.
	Three more books are planned: Pacific Northwest(which will
probably include Alaska), the Rockies, and the Midwest and East.
The books are not cheap, but worth every penny. The Desert Southwest,
which is probably the biggest book costs $12.95. The Pacific South-
west cost $11.95.
	I can't wait to find the rest of the books in the series.
I love looking at the pictures and reading about all the beautiful
things to see.
					Sharon Badian
/* ---------- */

wft@ea.UUCP (08/07/84)

#R:hpfclv:-1770000100:ea:13100001:37777777600:271
ea!wft    Aug  7 11:02:00 1984

if anyone is qoing to Singapore then by all means go to Rasa Singapora
to eat or one of the other stall areas to eat. Runners: the roads through
the botanical gardens in Singapore are okay to run on, however, the further
you get from town center the better the running.

jacob@hpfclo.UUCP (jacob) (08/16/84)

The place I'm suggesting is not in the CITY of Denver, but then neither
is the Rocky Mtn Natnl Park, so I guess it might still be usefull:

The U.S. Air Force Academy -- but not on Sunday before 11:00 AM (or
is it 1:00 PM, I forgot), just north of Colorado Springs, about 40 min
south of Denver,

The Garden of the Gods (maybe just drive through it), between the AF Academy
and Colorado Springs.

Jacob Gore
inhp4!hpfclo!jacob

darryl@haddock.UUCP (02/06/85)

If you really plan to stay in Yosemite this coming summer, you better
get your reservations in YESTERDAY!  Although it is indescribably
beautiful, the place fills with people from the first thaw to the
first snow.  See the Motherlode country west of Yosemite as well as
Mono lake on the east.

		--Darryl Richman
		INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
		...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (04/15/85)

All right, who was the fool that asked this Texan for
his opinion? You should have expected six pages of B.S.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (05/15/85)

[Personal to: tpvax!knut; my system doesn't know how to reach yours]

Subject: Denver to Laramie

Greetings.  I saw your note in net.travel, and live in Fort Collins,
which is halfway between the end points.  I'm fairly familiar with the
area and might be able to make suggestions.  Please ask questions as
specific as you can and I'll try to be helpful.  Are you into hiking,
tourism, historical stuff, cities, or what sort of things?

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"

amp@ada-uts.UUCP (05/30/85)

        I've been to Bermuda twice, once in Oct. 1978 and once in Oct. 1979
and loved it both times. We did not have a package deal but made the plans
ourselves with the help of a good travel agent.
        The first time we stayed at the Pompano Beach Hotel which was a
small place with clusters of bungalows on a cliff above the water with
a path down to a very small beach. They also had a pool.
        The second time we stayed at the Castle Harbor Hotel which is a
big place and caters more to a golfing crowd. We definitely liked the
first place better but think if we go back we will try the Surf Side or
the Reefs which are small places with their own beaches.
        I don't agree about the traffic at all. We rented mopeds and
had a great time riding around. They only allow cars on the island
that are owned by residents so we didn't find there was much traffic at
all.
                                          Anna P.

fred@prism.UUCP (06/23/85)

/**** prism:net.travel / ccice5!rdz / 12:53 pm  Jun 13, 1985 ****/
> I am planning to drive to Maine from New Jersey in early July.  I
> intend to go up I-95 to the Boothbay Harbor area.  Can anyone tell
> me if it is worth the extra miles to take the 495 bypass around
> Boston?  It looks like it makes for a significantly longer trip,
> unless traffic is really bad in the Boston area.  I would appreciate
> any help regarding this problem.
> Any other suggestions regarding this route would also be helpful.

If you are not used to driving in a major metropolitan area OR if you
don't like being stuck in tunnels, the answer to your question is YES!

/* ---------- */

tower@inmet.UUCP (06/26/85)

Re: I-495 in Boston to Maine

Through Rt 128 is a good by-pass route, it has all the disadvantages
mentioned previously.

Assuming one is willing to bypass I-95 in Connecticut, SE Massachuseets,
and Rhode Island (the scenery is roughly equivalent, and one misses
SE Connecticut and Providence traffic), the low traffic, low toll route is:

I-684 N from NYC. I-84 E through Hartford, CT (I-84 east of Hartford use to
be known as I-86) to Mass. I-90 E. I-290 NE through Worcester, MA. I-495 NE.
I-95 into Maine.

Have fun,
Len Tower
Intermetrics, Inc.

UUCP:     {bellcore,ima,ihnp4}!inmet!tower
INTERNET: ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
USPS:     733 Concord Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA
PHONE:    +1 (617) 661-1840

glen@hpfcla.UUCP (glen) (06/26/85)

This information will be quite old since I was at that particular
Busch Gardens Park in 1975.  The park is very nice since it has some
age and therefore the landscaping is mature and very beautiful, there
is nothing specific about that park that I can think of mentioning,
Busch Gardens Parks, whereever they are, have always been my favorite
parks because there is always a brewry, nice grounds, rides, shows,
shops, and restaurants galore, i.e. plenty to do for anyone.

While you are in that area be sure to visit Yorktown and Williamsburg.
As I remember there is an auto tour you can take down the James River
which is also very nice. Be sure to eat at wharf side restaurants and
order the catch of the day, whatever it is, it usually is very fresh.

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (07/02/85)

> I-684 N from NYC. I-84 E through Hartford, CT (I-84 east of Hartford use to

In fact, using I-95 to get through NYC is sometimes quite a pain (since
you're coming from Jersey).  You might wish to hook up to I-87 (NY Thruway),
or I-84 on the west side of the Hudson.  I've been on delays on I-95 in
NYC for up to 1.5 hours doing nothing but sitting in the same place.  In
addition, I-95 in the NYC area is currently under construction, and the
going can be slow because of that...
--
C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (07/15/85)

> One of the most obvious things to do if you are in the
> San Francisco area is to head north to the Napa Valley
> and the vineyards.  If you do, and you feel like splurging
> for lunch, stop at the restaurant at Domaine Chandon.
> Two of us recently spent $80 for lunch there, and we
> consider it to have been a bargain.

I agree that the restaurant at the Domain Chandon (I'm not sure of
the spelling) Champagnery is excellent! However you do not have to
spend $80 a couple (at least not a few years ago) to have a sumptious
feast.

Also take in the redwoods (Muir Woods is an example), Chinatown (of
course), Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park, and up the coast
to Point Reyes National Seashore. They whole area around Monterey
Bay is good too.

Bruce "left the Bay Area 7 years ago" Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (07/17/85)

Re: Gypsy pickpockets in Europe

I read an article in the Travel section of the newspaper a few weeks
ago. Its advice was to carry an umbrella and don't let anyone closer
than the umbrella at arms length. And swing it if necessary!

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

glen@hpfcla.UUCP (glen) (07/23/85)

/***** hpcnoa:net.travel / ut-sally!brian / 11:12 am  Jul  6, 1985*/

     Not long ago I posted a query about Yellowstone National Park.
Apparently no one has ever been to Yellowstone.  No replies.
     Let's try again, maybe one of you has a third cousin that flew over
it in a plane once twenty years ago.

     What are the things to see/miss?  We'll be spending five days.  What
should we take that we won't think of until we get there?  Any suggestions
for climate?  (We're from Texas; "What do ya mean 'cold at night'.  Shoot,
it gets down to 65 here in Austin at night.  That's pretty cold.")

     The most helpful responses would be about what to do while there, but
any comments would be most appreciated.

Brian H. Powell      brian@ut-sally.{ARPA,UUCP}

		 U.S. Mail:		 Southwestern Bell
		P.O. Box 5899		451-0842
		Austin, TX 78763
					 AT&T
					(512) 451-0842
/* ---------- */

My wife and I returned from a camping trip to Yellowstone over the 4th
of July, here's some pointers.

1.) Cool at night (at least in July) meant from upper 40's to low 50's
    depending on the altitude. It has snowed a couple of days before
    we arrived and did snow in the Grand Tetons while we were in
    Yellowstone.

2.) Ask the rangers at the information centers about anything, they
    can tell you the best trails by what you want to see and they know
    where the most recent animal citings are.

3.) Be prepared to see a lot of wildlife (animals) except for bears.
    They are in a program to eliminate bear-human contact and are
    very serious about it. They will gladly write you up a $25 ticket
    if you don't keep your campsite clear of anything related to food
    including your stove and cooking utensils.

4.) We camped at Grant Village which has newly opened showers, campstore
    and information center.  There were some very nice campsites, many
    right on the lake, I would strongly recommend it.

5.) The central part of the park has the most rapids and waterfalls
    if that is what you like, see the "Grand Canyon of Yellowstone",
    Old Faithful and the other thermal features around it (the colors
    on a sunny day are unbelievable), and Mammoth Hot Springs.  When
    visiting the northern sections of the park remember that they are
    the oldest and sparsely accomodated, while touring up there we
    had a hard time finding a decent place to picnic (buying food in
    the park is expensive) and you really have to cover a lot of
    ground to get to the next attraction.

6.) We didn't make it to the northeast gate, but in that area is
    Pebble Creek which is supposed to have the best hiking in
    Yellowstone.

7.) Don't push, we were up there a week and saw a little over half
    the park (and put on over 500 miles), it really is huge, but 5
    days is plenty of time to see a lot of attractions to make it
    worthwhile

8.) Avoid people from Utah.

9.) Try to follow the runoff from the thermal features downstream
    to a semi-deserted place, it's a great place for a bath complete
    with warm running water.

10.) Do not waste money on the horseback rides, we went on one in
     the northern section by Roosevelt lodge, it cost $30+ for 2 hrs.
     and although you do see scenery you can't see from a car, it
     isn't any better than that you see from a car.  Also they don't
     have picture stops anyway any you have to put up with sluggish
     horses and inexperienced riders.

11.) Most trails in Yellowstone are moderate and if you do want to
     hike into the mountains it is over a days time since you have
     to clear valleys and foothills first.  I would strongly reco-
     mend taking some time to stop in the Grand Tetons for a day
     or two. There we took a climb that lasted 10 hours (including
     time off for rests, lunch, and sightseeing) and went straight
     up into the mountains (the Tetons have no foothills, a lot
     like the Alps in Europe) from 6200 to 9700 feet over about 5
     miles of trail.  My wife and I are not expert hikers and were
     out from Indiana for about a month before the trip and made
     it with some effort, but we never felt overly taxed, and the
     view was unbelievable (I can't remember the name of the trail
     but it led to an alpind lake called "Surprise Lake".

I hope this information will be of some use, we had a wonderful time.
Above all, let me re-emphasize that they are serious about their bear
program and the rangers are well trained, use them freely, that's
what you're paying for.  Have a good trip!

fish@hpfcla.UUCP (fish) (08/07/85)

New York is a fabulous city, but avoid driving in Manhatten if you
can help it. Better yet leave the car at home!  The subways will take
you virtually anywhere. Rates at parking garages are outrageously expensive,
and towing fees are even worse.

While in New York, see some of the art museums.  MOMA(Museum of Modern Art)
was recently redone.  Also, the Met. is excellent.  Go to Greenwich Village
for a little New York Culture.  I would think twice before going to a
Broadway play.  They've become very expensive with tickets at $35 and up.
You will be able to find good food at reasonable prices in the ethnic areas
of Manhatten (esp. Chinese, and Italian).  After dinner, The Improv. provides
some good comedy entertainment with New York's up and coming comedians.
If time remains, don't forget the UN.

Enjoy!

kevin fisher
hpfclr!fish

linda@infoswx.UUCP (10/30/85)

My hubby and I spent two weeks on windjammer cruises for our honeymoon.
What a treat!  There is so much to learn and so much to enjoy!
If you know what you are looking for, Windjammer can provide
it if you just get on the right ship.  There should be a local Windjammer
rep in a major town near you.  They will know more than a typical travel
agent unless that agent has been on multiple trips.

They have 8 or more ships.  Each does a different
course and has its own personality.  For example, the Polynesia is the PARTY
ship.  Best for singles who are hot to trot.  I think it's the Yankee Trader
that is a hard-core dive ship.  We went on the Mandalay.  It is the newest
addition to their fleet and is the only one with hot water.  The personality
was mellow and very friendly. If you're looking for a big ship,
the Polynesia is a four masted schooner.  The Mandalay is smaller, a 3 masted
schooner.  One of them isn't a sailing vessel at all.

On all of the ships there's a no locked door policy and there's never any
theft.  Every time the sails go up, Amazing Grace plays over the PA system.
The crew we had was a fabulous bunch.  Mostly local islanders.  They take
care of rooms and serving meals but nothing is pretentious.

On our trip we sailed every evening and pulled into a port late at night.
After breakfast the following morning the captain tells you a little about
the island you're docked at then your on your own.
The day was open for scuba, snorkeling, beach-fun and general tourism.
We brought our own regulators and bc's etc but expected tanks to be
readily available.  They weren't.  Tanks were only easily available on
2 islands that we visited.  On most islands, you'd have to go far out of
your way to get a fresh tank.  Instead, we mostly snorkeled - which was
still incredible.  If you're really looking for a diving vacation, ask
to go on the dive ship.  That ship is set up to service your tanks or provide
you tanks.

Late afternoons there was always a happy hour back on board ship.  After dinner
a band performed on board or we went back to the island to attend a local
hoopla.

Our route was around the West Indies.  Some British Islands, some French
Islands.  The islands were distinctly different.  On the British islands
things are quite proper - woman are expected to wear skirts covering the
knees.  Anything goes on a French Island.  Any dress code will do.
Bathing suits are "unisex" - bottoms only.

An outstanding part of the trip was that the captain and first mate were
happy to teach you how to sail!!!!!  As soon as the trip starts you can
start helping with the lines.  Then they'll teach you about setting courses
and steering.  Soon you can be keeping night watch.  All you have to do is
volunteer.

All in all, I'd say it was a great trip.  If you're looking for more details,
I'll be happy to respond.

			Linda Lucas Gettier
			214-644-0570
			ihnp4!infoswx!linda

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (02/25/86)

> I am reminded of my hike in the Grand Canyon.  My brother and I said,
> "let's just go down a little ways..."  "just a little farther..."

Watch out.  Hiking the Canyon is like climbing a mountain in reverse.
Don't go down what you can't comfortably climb back up.

> Someday I'll reminisce about my climb up Mt. Fuji...

You too?  (We did it in 1971.)

Alan Silverstein