[comp.sys.amiga.games] Pool of Radiance

plord@starnet.uucp (Parker J Lord) (01/20/91)

 I am having a real problem completing the removal of the Kobolds.
 I get through the first two waves, but the third one wipes me out.
 I have the following characters:

     Fighter 6th level
     Fighter 6th level
     F/Mu/Th 5/4/5 levels
     Cleric  6th level
     Cleric/Mu 5/4 levels
     MU      6th level

 The trolls seem to give me the most trouble, just wittling down the HP
 of my characters.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could
 try?  Ive tried to complete this one about 6-7 times and each try takes
 about two hours. Ive also broought along hired hands but they never
 seem to shoot where I want them to.

 Thanks plord@starnet.UUCP
	lord@leadsv.UUCP

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (01/21/91)

plord@starnet.uucp (Parker J Lord) writes:

> I am having a real problem completing the removal of the Kobolds.
> I get through the first two waves, but the third one wipes me out.
> I have the following characters:
>     Fighter 6th level
>     Fighter 6th level
>     F/Mu/Th 5/4/5 levels
>     Cleric  6th level
>     Cleric/Mu 5/4 levels
>     MU      6th level

Ahh, yes.....the old three-wave kobold attack scenario.  I agree--
this one is a tough one!  You have a *great* mix of characters; in
fact I have the same group except that my Cleric/Mu is a Cleric/Fighter.

Here's what I did: Before you step into battle cast protective spells.
Then when you're in battle stay together as a group and surround
yourself as much as possible with walls of stinking clouds.  This
way when the enemy moves in to attack they will often be neutralized
entirely by being gagged.

After you have wiped out the second wave, answer *yes* to the question
"Continue battle?"  This way you can use your two clerics on the battle
field to heal up your characters.  Remember that to heal someone they
have to be standing *next to* that person, so don't waste any heal
spells by casting the spell until your cleric is next to the person
to be healed.  Also, if I remember correctly there are trolls in that
second wave, so don't take too long to heal your characters because
the trolls will get back up and grin.

In addition to all of the above I assume you are using fireballs and
magic missles and otherwise are attempting to take out one enemy in
hand-to-hand fighting at a time (i.e., not hitting them all for a few
points each and thus allowing them to still survive to hit you back).

Good luck!  If you still die, leave and come back when you're a level or
two higher.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

lord@leadsv.UUCP (Parker Lord) (01/22/91)

Well I finally killed off those stinking Kobolds. That one was tough and
really tried my patience. I only had the game guru once on me while
one of the boars in the second wave decided to roll over and die.  The key
to this on was I think having at least three Fireball spells available
and lots of hit points.  I tried to get through this one about 6 times.
I have completed all the other missions and am now off to the castle.

I just want to get this one over with!!
|                                   //     AA   M     M I GGGGGG    AA     |
|     Parker J. Lord               //     A  A  MM   MM   G        A  A    |
|     lord@leadsv.UUCP            //     A    A M M M M I G       A    A   |
|     415-326-7539          \\   //      AAAAAA M  M  M I G   GGG AAAAAA   |
|                            \\ //       A    A M     M I G    G  A    A   |
|                             \\/        A    A M     M I GGGGGG  A    A   |