[net.travel] Difference between Visa and Passport

johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) (02/12/86)

The recent discussion about going from the US into Canada
and the resulting confusion over what documentation is needed
spurred me to put fingers to keyboard to drop in my 2 cents.

First, a US citizen travelling to Canada must carry
proof of US citizenship in order to enter Canada. This should be
either a birth certificate, voter's registration, or passport.
A driver's license is not sufficient since you do not need
to be a US citizen to get one.

Second, a visa is a document issued by the country you wish
to visit giving you permission to enter that country. A passport
is issued by your home country which pretty much says that the
person who holds the passport (and who matches the description
and photograph inside) is a citizen of whatever country and that
that country will let him or her back in. In other words, I may
need a visa to go to Canada, which says that Canada will let me
in to visit, but I also need a passport from the US which tells
the folks at the Canadian border that they won't be stuck with me
since the US admits I belong in the US. Also, the passport tells
the folks at the US border to let me back in.

John Rosenberg @ AT&T-NS
ihnp4!ihu1n!johnnyr

schwrtze@acf8.UUCP (E. Schwartz group) (02/18/86)

These may be the rules; however they are not always enforced.  I have
successfully entered Canada and returnded to the States with no I.D.
other than a student card and a photo-less driver license.  The reaction
at Mirabel was "next time bring better I.D.", and at Kennedy, "what the hell,
you look like an American."  I have seen others get through on the train
or the bus without showing any papers at all.

					Alan Shaw
					alan@nyu-alaya.arpa
					cmcl2!alaya!alan

sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) (02/26/86)

In article <327@ihu1n.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>First, a US citizen travelling to Canada must carry
>proof of US citizenship in order to enter Canada. This should be
>either a birth certificate, voter's registration, or passport.
>A driver's license is not sufficient since you do not need
>to be a US citizen to get one.

Well, I've been back and forth between the US and Canada umpteen
times, and it's just NO big deal.  I have never been asked for
any documentation on my way in or out, ever.  And I didn't even
have too much trouble when I was pulled over for reckless driving..
in a stolen car...   (I swear, I didn't know it was stolen.)

Trivia for the day:  The US/Canadian border is the largest unguarded
in the world.

--
"When in Rome, do as the Romanians do!"
Shelli Meyers