[comp.sys.amiga.games] PowerMonger strategy questions

cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/23/91)

Help!
  I'm having problems with the following things in powermonger!

- How do I get the catapults into the boats?

- What are the best strategies for attacking large settlements when
  you are outnumbered?

- Is it possible to bomb settlements from the boats,  or are the boats
  only good for transporting things?

pochron@cat52.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (01/26/91)

In article <28082.279c4e86@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Help!
>- How do I get the catapults into the boats?

It does that all automatically - you should not have to do anything to get a
catapult into a boat.

>- What are the best strategies for attacking large settlements when
>  you are outnumbered?

Start out in aggressive mode - after you have evened the odds a bit, switch to
passive so you can recruit the vanquished.  Your captain's posture WILL change
immediately!  This only works, of course, for YOU - you will have to wait for
the carrier pigeon if you are using a remote captain.

Also, spend some time making better weapons.  Guys with bows have a BIG
advantage over guys w/o such missile weapons.  Cannons and catapults are simply
the best, as I've been able to take out 16 guys at a time with a single shot.

Also, make sure your captain is healthy.  If there are more enemies than are
in your army, the extras will attack you personally.  After your guys finish
a fight, they will come to help you.

Also, try to let large aggressive armies wipe each other out before you take
them on.  One of my favorite things to do is to just sit back and watch the
red and blue guys knock each other out while I concentrate on small settlements
and build my own army and better weapons.

>- Is it possible to bomb settlements from the boats,  or are the boats
>  only good for transporting things?

Yes, but it is determined by the geography of the land - if the settlement is
close enough to water, the captain will stay back in the boat and fire away.
Your men will always go ashore if they are not carrying a bow.  If all your
guys have bows, your whole army can attack without ever setting foot on dry
land!