[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM 1: Rock Monsters

johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) (01/11/91)

I've not be playing Dungeon Master 1 long and have just finished level
3 (Wow !)

I'm saved up to the entrance of level 4 but in there I found the rock
mosters especially difficult to deal with even using the door to crush
them. I was dwon to one man at the foot of the stairs of level three
before I killed them !

A scroll says use a spell for weakening immaterial beings. Does this
mean once cast they are easier to kill or do i just keeep casting them
til they expire ?

What do i need to cast fireballs ?

what are the most effective means of killing rock monsters ?

Thanks for any help.

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/13/91)

John Upham asks how to kill Rockpile Monsters in Dungeon Master...

The single easiest way is to use Poison Cloud spells (OH VEN).  The monsters
are very slow moving, and cannot get out of the cloud of poison very quickly.
Step back a couple of steps and wait for them to move forward, then cast the
spell.

To weaken them before you hit them with the poison, BEFORE they get up to
you, throw everything you've got at them.. daggers, arrows, clubs, rocks from
other dead monsters, whatever you've got.

Then when they're in the poison cloud, hit them with your weapons.

Note that they can still hit you if you stand right in front of you, but if
you move back out of their way, they may escape from the poison cloud.

"Weaken Non-Material Beings" spells won't work against physical monsters.. ol
"ghostly" types.

The spell for fireballs is FUL IR.  You won't find the scroll for this spell
until Level 7, but it's difficult to last that long without fireballs..!

BobR

f36608s@puukko.hut.fi (EBu) (01/13/91)

Don't have the game myself, but heard the following:

Lead the rock monsters to one of the doors that slide up at the touch
of a button. When one is under a open door, start banging the button.
I imagine a nice, massive door treatment would work on any material monster...

Erik Bunn				I
f36608s@puukko.hut.fi  (Internet)	I	"You see, I missed her

labb-2ae@web-2a.berkeley.edu (Joe C.) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan13.133708.4962@santra.uucp> f36608s@puukko.hut.fi (EBu) writes:

>Don't have the game myself, but heard the following:
>
>Lead the rock monsters to one of the doors that slide up at the touch
>of a button. When one is under a open door, start banging the button.
>I imagine a nice, massive door treatment would work on any material monster...
>

>Erik Bunn				I
>f36608s@puukko.hut.fi  (Internet)	I	"You see, I missed her

Sure the door technique is useful, but you don't get all the experience.
I've found that having my people slash at nothing takes about 30 minutes for
them to gain a fighter level.  However, their fighter level advances much
faster if I have them slash at monsters.

-jc
---
labb-2ae@web.berkeley.edu

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (01/14/91)

In article <4164@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) writes:
>A scroll says use a spell for weakening immaterial beings. Does this
>mean once cast they are easier to kill or do i just keeep casting them
>til they expire ?

In my experience, it either works the first time or not at all.  This spell
is very suited for the green ghosts on level 8 (and not on anything else that
I can find!).

>What do i need to cast fireballs ?

Just the right spell.  One of the neat things about DM is that you can try
spells that seem to make sense (given the symbol descriptions), and they
will sometimes work.  This is a perfect example.

>what are the most effective means of killing rock monsters ?

Run up to them, hit them a couple of times, and then back off.  The fireball
spell is also nice.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

dmm0t@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dave Meyer) (01/14/91)

Not true.  I forget which level they're on, but there are water elementals
(at least, that's what they look like) which are impervious to everything
except vorpal blades and weaken non-material being spells.  Also, the
fire elementals on the wizard level are also susceptible to both
the spell and the vorpal blade.

--
David M. Meyer                                   | dmm0t@virginia.edu
Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering | (804) 924-7926

dmm0t@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dave Meyer) (01/14/91)

I forgot to mention that with the water and fire elementals, it
takes several powerful version of the weaken non-material being
spell (and/or attacks with the vorpal blade) to kill them.

--

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (01/15/91)

In article <37944@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> John Upham asks how to kill Rockpile Monsters in Dungeon Master...

     The easiest way to kill rock monsters is to keep slamming doors on them.
They seem mostly impervious to most other kinds of attack.  I didn't find that
the poison spells seem to hurt them much.   I will agree that anything

*physical*  you  can do to them is more effective.  Even kicking and punching
works, if you're very quick and don't take more damage than you give.

> The spell for fireballs is FUL IR.  You won't find the scroll for this spell
> until Level 7, but it's difficult to last that long without fireballs..!

      Fireballs are wonderful!  Practice with these as much as possible; they
will become one of your best tricks.

Jean
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| werjun@large              | The probability of someone's watching |
+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +  you is directly proportional to the  +
|                           |       stupidty of your actions.       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (01/15/91)

In <1991Jan14.025652.9809@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, Dave Meyer writes:
>Not true.  I forget which level they're on, but there are water elementals
>(at least, that's what they look like) which are impervious to everything
>except vorpal blades and weaken non-material being spells.

	The Water Elementals also ran away when you "brandished" one of
the staffs. This was very handy as they were hard to kill.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

Elio Martinho <ACPS7029@Ryerson.CA> (01/15/91)

In his posting Eric Bunn says to bring the Rock Monsters to a door that uses a
button to open it and then start 'banging the button' (HIS words!).  All this
will do is make the door move up and down!  What SHOULD be done is take the
Monster to the ALREADY OPEN door and then hit the button ONCE!  This will make
the door fall until it is completely closed thus slamming into the Monster
until it (the door) is allowed to close.  As the door is slamming into the
Monster it is advisable to start fighting the monster as you normally would.
Use your weapons but DON'T MOVE BACK until the monster is dead.  If you DO the
Monster will move forward out of harm's way.
Hope this is helpful.   CIAO!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
* PPPP  A   V   V * ALL OPINIONS ARE MINE.                            *
* PPP  AAA   V V  * TYPOS ARE SOMEONE ELSE'S!                         *
* P   A   A   V   * (PAV COMMONLY KNOWN AS ELIO MARTINHO              *
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

lsmichae@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Lars Michael (AKBP WS 1990)) (01/15/91)

johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) writes:

>I've not be playing Dungeon Master 1 long and have just finished level
>3 (Wow !)

>I'm saved up to the entrance of level 4 but in there I found the rock
>mosters especially difficult to deal with even using the door to crush
>them. I was dwon to one man at the foot of the stairs of level three
>before I killed them !

>what are the most effective means of killing rock monsters ?

>              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

A very powerful method for killing monsters is Hit'n'Run:

Hit the monster one or more times, run out of the monsters reaching, wait
until the monster tries to hit, cast or whatever, then return to the monster
and hit again.

This method is useful even for slow monster, e.g. rock monsters, knights,
screamers, ... and the dragon!

"May the Schwartz be with you!"
						lars

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.025816.9867@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
dmm0t@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dave Meyer) writes:
> I forgot to mention that with the water and fire elementals, it
> takes several powerful version of the weaken non-material being
> spell (and/or attacks with the vorpal blade) to kill them.

 Or if you have the firestaff and have gone back up to have some fun, you
can
use the FUSE option of the firestaff on the non-material creatures. It acts
as a very powerful non-material spell. The only drawback is that it only
works on creatures that are right in front of you. But it only takes a
couple of zaps on the elementals to kill them and one zap on a ghost.

marshall

-> Internet: mjv@brownvm.brown.edu
"He had found the perfect TV mix, on Marvin's Hour of Power.
 (The show that put the FUN back into fundamentalist)."
   -- Neil Gaiman; Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Propecies of
     Agnes Nutter, Witch

philip@hubcap.clemson.edu (Philip L Harshman) (01/16/91)

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) writes:
>	The Water Elementals also ran away when you "brandished" one of
>the staffs. This was very handy as they were hard to kill.

They would also run if you "War Cry" enough times.  This is very useful if
you are stuck in a hallway with one on either side of you.

--
Philip Harshman                         uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!philip
Employed by Clemson University         	inet: philip@hubcap.clemson.edu

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/16/91)

In article <91015.104737AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu>, <AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>      If you want to try something neat with fireballs, wait until your
> characters are almost dead.  Then cast a fireball and have your characters
> step forward into the path of the fireball, or have your characters face a
> wall and throw a fireball at the wall.  This is one hell of a way to kill
> all of the characters.

It's the method of choice! Personally, I found it more fun to put up a
set of 4 fireshields and do it - even a 400-point blast hardly does a
thing to you. This technique also can be used to prove conclusively
that lightning isn't nearly as good as a fireball, mana point for mana
point (at least at close range ;-)
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"You can keep my things, they've come to take me home" - Peter Gabriel

James_Mitchell@kcbbs.gen.nz (James Mitchell) (01/28/91)

What do you mean "The REAL Firestaff"!!!!
I've connected the gem and the staff (how do I know if it is the phony
one???), heard the CLICK, thrown the staff; and I'm still stuck down
here... 8-(

I really need Help, pretty please?

James_Mitchell@kcbbs.gen.nz (James Mitchell) (01/28/91)

PS (from the message before)
I haven't killed the wizard on 13 (the evil half?) - is this bad?