[comp.sys.amiga.games] Jack Nicklaus Golf

tim@hiv.med.umn.edu (Tim Leonard) (01/22/91)

Could someone describe to me the differences between the Jack Nicklaus
Golf disks.  The catalogues are unclear.  There appear to be two:
"Ultimate" and "Unlimited".  I know that Unlimited is a course designer
but does it also allow game play?

Tim Leonard
tim@lenti.med.umn.edu

ewing@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan22.013607.18118@cs.umn.edu> tim@hiv.med.umn.edu (Tim Leonard) writes:
>Could someone describe to me the differences between the Jack Nicklaus
>Golf disks.  The catalogues are unclear.  There appear to be two:
>"Ultimate" and "Unlimited".  I know that Unlimited is a course designer
>but does it also allow game play?

There is no such thing as Jack Nicklaus "Ultimate" golf.
There is a "Jack Nicklaus Unlimited Golf", however.  The catalogues
are confused.

Originally there was a game called "Jack Nicklaus's Greatest 18 Holes
of Championship Golf".  This game contained three courses to play :
a composite course made up of holes from Nicklaus's favorite courses
that have hosted a major championship (ie, the Masters -- held at
Augusta National, the US Open, the British Open and the PGA),
Castle Pines (a Nicklaus designed course in Colorado) and a third
course whose name escapes me (Desert something -- also a Nicklaus
designed course, located in Arizona).

This game is pretty good (if you like golf 8-) ).  It's one drawback
is painfully slow screen drawings.  Hard disk recommended.

Shortly thereafter, a few new course disks were released.  These are
not stand alone games -- they require either the original game
mentioned above or the "Unlimited" game discussed below.

Course disks :
1989 major courses -- Troon (Scotland), Kemper Lakes and Oak Hill .
1990 major courses -- St. Andrews, Medinah and Shoal Creek
one or two others that are courses around the world that Nicklaus
designed.

Of these, I only own the 1989 disk and it has some serious bugs.  On
the 17th hole at Troon there is a rock in front of the tee (representing
a small boulder).  When you hit your tee shot, even though your
ball has cleared the rock by a factor of three, your ball "hits
it".  There are similar problems with small bushes on the Oak Hill
course.

The "Unlimited" golf game is a major improvement.  The screen
drawing time is vastly improved.  There are lots of nice new
features such as reverse angle instant replay, a pop-up menu
for club distances, keeps your stroke average, varying course
conditions (wet, dry, normal), a grid overlay on the greens
so you can see the undulations, etc.

You can run all the old courses (the original three plus any of
the course disks) through the new interface.  I've found that doing
this somehow cleans up almost all of the bugs with hitting bogus
rocks and bushes as mentioned above).

The big new feature is the course designer. You can create your own
courses (hence, the Unlimited title).  I haven't fully explored this
yet, but it looks extremely thorough.

Hope this helps.

David A. Ewing
ewing@tortuga.sandiego.ncr.com

lyles@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Lyle N. Scheer) (01/24/91)

ewing@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) writes:

>The big new feature is the course designer. You can create your own
>courses (hence, the Unlimited title).  I haven't fully explored this
>yet, but it looks extremely thorough.

Well, I've played with the designer, and I am very disappointed.  The design
disk does allow you to build your own course in any way you wish.  You can
alter the terrain completely, edit all of the objects(trees, rocks, etc).  You
have a 360 degree background which you can edit any way you like.  The designer
does allow you to manipulate the course in any way possible, but it is so
awkward.

A particular example:  I wished to copy a course from the root directory of
a disk to it's own directory.  Now, this is all one one disk, but the program
kept asking me to "swap" source and destination disks, so I had to continually
re-insert the one disk.  (Moral:  Use the CLI to copy courses)

I also think the program is incredibly sluggish at moving from disk to disk
and directory to directory.  Annoying also is the fact that when you play a
game, it will always search(very slowly), the disk you booted on for courses.
If your course is on another disk, you have to wait for the entire root
directory of df0: comes up before you can switch to df1.

There are other occurances of a bad layout or just plain bad programming, but
I have found it relatively bug-free, and once loaded, a fine golf game to
play(and design your own courses).

ewing@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.043443.24582@cs.umn.edu> tim@hiv.med.umn.edu (Tim Leonard) writes:

>Is this program Hard Drive installable?

Yes.  The copy protection schemes consist of matching a diagram of a golf hole
with a master sheet (original game) and using a code wheel (Unlimited).
Hard drive is essential for this game IMHO.