[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM..by the way...

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (01/29/91)

OK I have finished DM a while ago, but I have a number of questions about
unsolved puzzles.

I never really seriously kept count of what level I was on so my descriptions
are lengthy.

FIRST:
On the level of the Slime monsters (level 4?) where you have 4 large rooms or
sections...one has many pitfalls..one has a large invisible force field..etc
There is one room that has a massive visible transporter field, where you get
beamed around various part of the room. i figured out how not to get trapped butis there any way forward through this...any great treasure I missed...I seemed
to get 3 steps into the field and that is all?

SECOND:
On the same level....the room with many pitfalls opening and closing is there
any path to the LEFT part after that room? The RIGHT part was easy to get to.
I must add though that I think there is a way to get to it from the levels
below, am I right?

THIRD:
I killed Chaos or fused him to finish the game, but I never did figure out
how to get out of that level....I always thought that once you had the firestaffall there was left to do was kill Chaos. Now reading this newsgroup I am told
that you are free to run around the whole dungeon even after you have built
your firestaff......HOW? How do you get out of the Chaos level with the
firestaff?

FOURTH: Is the pointer bug in CSB really a hastle or is it worth it to buy
CSB...It costs $60 here in Canada...maybe I should wait for a debugged version?
Any comments?

FIFTH: Almost forgot.....in the level of the Rock Giants and all the RA doors
I only managed to open 2 of the doors with the terquoise keys. The one with all
the scrolls and another small one with some food and minor stuff. Did I miss
some of the keys for the other doors or are there only a number less than the
number of doors?

Thanks  	Bill

daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.173851.17045@dmntor.UUCP> bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) writes:
>OK I have finished DM a while ago, but I have a number of questions about
>unsolved puzzles.
[deleted]
>There is one room that has a massive visible transporter field, where you get
>beamed around various part of the room. i figured out how not to get trapped butis there any way forward through this...any great treasure I missed...I seemed
>to get 3 steps into the field and that is all?

The room has about 10 transporters, in different places.  Try
mapping the room to figure out which ones go where.  The treasure
is worth the trouble, but not terribly exciting.

>SECOND:
>On the same level....the room with many pitfalls opening and closing is there
>any path to the LEFT part after that room? The RIGHT part was easy to get to.
>I must add though that I think there is a way to get to it from the levels
>below, am I right?

I dunno about getting there from below, but it isn't that hard to
get there from the pits.  Remember that the pits toggle on and
off, dependent upon where you are.  If you can figure out which
two pits toggle that one on the far left corner, you can turn
that pit off and walk right in.

>THIRD:
>I killed Chaos or fused him to finish the game, but I never did figure out
>how to get out of that level....I always thought that once you had the firestaffall there was left to do was kill Chaos. Now reading this newsgroup I am told
>that you are free to run around the whole dungeon even after you have built
>your firestaff......HOW? How do you get out of the Chaos level with the
>firestaff?

If you get the gem, attach it, and then immediately throw it
away, you can go and pick it up and walk back to the entrance.
Nothing will happen, however as the designers didn't think of
this possibility...  If you take the staff back up without the
gem, however, better save beforehand.

>FOURTH: Is the pointer bug in CSB really a hastle or is it worth it to buy
>CSB...It costs $60 here in Canada...maybe I should wait for a debugged version?
>Any comments?

I haven't had any problems with it, (yet), but I've only played
it about 20 hours.  Mapping is especially challenging in DM2.  I
currently have 8 levels half-mapped (or less), and I can only
guess as to how many levels there are and which ones are which.
(Partially due to all the switching that goes on...)  In any
case, I'd recommend the game.  Whether you choose to wait is up
to you, but the game is playable, and it will be there when you
decide to get it.

>FIFTH: Almost forgot.....in the level of the Rock Giants and all the RA doors
>I only managed to open 2 of the doors with the terquoise keys. The one with all
>the scrolls and another small one with some food and minor stuff. Did I miss
>some of the keys for the other doors or are there only a number less than the
>number of doors?

You don't have keys for all the doors.  Just have to pick and
choose...  You could always save the game and open each door,
seeing what's in there.  Afterwards, decide what you want most.

QUESTIONS:

1) I've never managed to get to the tiny room that the skeletons
and beholders (floating eyes) are teleported from.  (Level 5, I
think, where you need a monster to stand on the plate to get to
a secret room.)  The maze is fairly simple, and there is
supposedly a trigger for a secret door that is supposed to be
near the entryway from the hall, but I haven't hit upon it.

What's maddening is that I did it once, by accident, but I can't
find it now...

2) Supposedly, you can get rid of H2O-Elementals by flushing them
down the gratings.  Is this true?

3) What's the best way to raise fighter levels?  All of my
characters are masters in everything but fighting, the two main
fighters being only experts.  It seems that is as high as I have
been able to get...

4) Has anybody ever found 'Darkness' useful?

5) Does the Firestaff ever run out of charges?  I'd assumed not,
but you never can tell...

-Nick

PS. (I tried to respond to the posting RE: 'Did You Need Hints?',
but it bounced.  I didn't need any; I mapped my way to
victory...)