[comp.sys.amiga.games] Shadowgate: Help!

dhines@astro.uucp (Dean Hines) (01/21/91)

We are near completion of Shadowgate and now we're stuck.

We have found the platinum horn, and the gold pick-thing that's guarded
by the woman in the tower. We've gotten the talisman and the magic wand.
We've also gotten to the two gargoils that
gaurd the cave below the thrown, and we've gotten to the three levers that
presumably operate the chain that separates the cylinders. The only
problem is that we die no matter what we do.

1) I suspect that we have to get past the gargoils to find something that
will help us figure out the combination to the chains. We've tried many
permutations for the combination, but all have met with death by the guardian.
I figure the combination is probably hidden somewhere.

2) There is an entrance just beneath the thron. It is guarded by a big stone
that crushes you if you attempt to enter. Is there a way to get through
the entrance, or is this a blind alley?

3) We've found lots of vials and bottles full of liquid. Are any of these
needed. Most killed us. The most important seems to be the bottle of holy
water.

If anyone can give us a clue, we'd really appreciate it. Have we missed
something subtle early on? Please don't give it all away. If there's
just a single hint that will get us past this point, that'll be good enough.

Also, are there other games that are like Shadowgate? I've got Uninvited,
and I've seen Deja Vu. Any others?

Thanks for the help.

Dean and Stef.

| Dean Hines                       Disclaimer: What? disclaim? Me?  |
| Astronomy Dept.                                                   |
| University of Texas               "Always store beer in a dark    |
| dhines@astro.as.utexas.edu          place."                       |
| dhines@utastro.UUCP                         Lazarus Long          |

alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) (01/22/91)

In <1991Jan21.155421.8874@astro.uucp> dhines@astro.uucp (Dean Hines) writes:
>We are near completion of Shadowgate and now we're stuck.

This is not unusual!

>We have found the platinum horn, and the gold pick-thing that's guarded
>by the woman in the tower. We've gotten the talisman and the magic wand.
>We've also gotten to the two gargoils that
"gargoyles"
>gaurd the cave below the thrown, and we've gotten to the three levers that
"gargoils" I can handle, but it's "throne", not "thrown", silly.

>presumably operate the chain that separates the cylinders. The only
>problem is that we die no matter what we do.

>1) I suspect that we have to get past the gargoils to find something that
>will help us figure out the combination to the chains. We've tried many
>permutations for the combination, but all have met with death by the guardian.
>I figure the combination is probably hidden somewhere.

It is, but you've already passed it.  And I'm not lion.

>2) There is an entrance just beneath the thron. It is guarded by a big stone
Actually, that's sort of creative.  If you can't decide between "throne" and
"thrown", use neither.  I like it.

>that crushes you if you attempt to enter. Is there a way to get through
>the entrance, or is this a blind alley?

Blind alley.

>3) We've found lots of vials and bottles full of liquid. Are any of these
>needed. Most killed us. The most important seems to be the bottle of holy
>water.

Just the holy water.  Forget the rest.

--
Bob Alberti  Micro and Wkstn Networks Ctr, U of MN   // aka: Albatross| Unitar-
Internet:    alberti@boombox.micro.UMN.EDU        \\//  The Mars Hotel| ian/

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.222743.25717@cs.umn.edu> alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) writes:
>Just the holy water.  Forget the rest.

	Not true.  A certain bottle can come in VERY handy if you fail
to solve a particular puzzle earlier in the game.  It comes back to haunt
you.  Literally.  Until you die.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

In <7374@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>>In <1991Jan21.155421.8874@astro.uucp> dhines@astro.uucp (Dean Hines) writes:
>>>3) We've found lots of vials and bottles full of liquid. Are any of these
>>>needed. Most killed us. The most important seems to be the bottle of holy
>>>water.

>In article <1991Jan21.222743.25717@cs.umn.edu> alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) writes:
>>Just the holy water.  Forget the rest.

>	Not true.  A certain bottle can come in VERY handy if you fail
>to solve a particular puzzle earlier in the game.  It comes back to haunt
>you.  Literally.  Until you die.

From the mail I've received, there are two other bottles that are needed out
of this area:  one cures you if you have been haunted by the spirit (the
puzzle that Dan mentions), the other makes you very light, allowing you to
go places you might otherwise not be able to go.  I played the Mac version
of Shadowgate, which allows you to bypass the need for this lightness potion,
but apparently the Nintendo version is not so forgiving.  And I never got
haunted, so I was unaware of this cure.
--
Bob Alberti  Micro and Wkstn Networks Ctr, U of MN   // aka: Albatross| Unitar-
Internet:    alberti@boombox.micro.UMN.EDU        \\//  The Mars Hotel| ian/
Disclaimer:  My employer does not mean what I say. //   (612) 690-4142| Univer-
Ingredients: 30% header, 30% quote, 10% content, 30% cutesy signature.| salist!

lucifer@ut-emx.uucp (wildebeest ) (01/23/91)

Thanks for the help on Shadowgate, and thanks for catching the splelink
miss-takes :-)

Dean

edwarde@htsa.htsa.aha.nl (Edward van Egmond) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan21.155421.8874@astro.uucp> dhines@astro.uucp (Dean Hines) writes:

>We are near completion of Shadowgate and now we're stuck.
>
>We have found the platinum horn, and the gold pick-thing that's guarded
>by the woman in the tower. We've gotten the talisman and the magic wand.
>We've also gotten to the two gargoils that
>gaurd the cave below the thrown, and we've gotten to the three levers that
>presumably operate the chain that separates the cylinders. The only
>problem is that we die no matter what we do.
>
>1) I suspect that we have to get past the gargoils to find something that
>will help us figure out the combination to the chains. We've tried many
>permutations for the combination, but all have met with death by the guardian.
>I figure the combination is probably hidden somewhere.

You can't find the combination, you just have to try (it's 2-3-2).
You can get past the gargoils by blinding them. (invoke a scroll!).

>2) There is an entrance just beneath the thron. It is guarded by a big stone
>that crushes you if you attempt to enter. Is there a way to get through
>the entrance, or is this a blind alley?
This is a blind alley, but remember, before you go into the well, you
have to get back to the bridge with the skull on the side (that's
near the place were you pulled the torch to open a secret passage).
You can only cross the bridge if you are very light!!! (but don't
forget the wand, you need it there), then the staff must be assembled
and you're ready to combat with the wizard, use the invisibility scroll
to get past the bridgetroll and the cyclope. Read a scroll to see
where the blazing star has to be put in.

>3) We've found lots of vials and bottles full of liquid. Are any of these
>needed. Most killed us. The most important seems to be the bottle of holy
>water.

The rest you don't need, throw it away.

Have you played Uninvited, if so, do you know how to cage the bird in
the cage?

I hope I didn't give away to much, but you don't have to read all the
clues (but I've finished Shadowgate, so if you need anymore help, just
write to me.),

See ya,
		EDDIE.

--
+The android with no name walked into the crowded spaceport bar. Eight foot  +  +tall, with death in his cold android eyes. He strode across the room, small +  +green aliens scuttled out of his path. Fearsome martian warriors would not  +
+meet his gaze and the air froze when he croaked in his dark gravelly voice, +  +'A pint of bitter please, mate'.                                            +

lucifer@ut-emx.uucp (wildebeest ) (01/30/91)

In article <88@htsa.htsa.aha.nl> edwarde@htsa.htsa.aha.nl (Edward van Egmond) writes:
>In article <1991Jan21.155421.8874@astro.uucp> dhines@astro.uucp (Dean Hines) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>>I figure the combination is probably hidden somewhere.
>
>You can't find the combination, you just have to try (it's 2-3-2).
>You can get past the gargoils by blinding them. (invoke a scroll!).

Actually, as a couple of people pointed out, the combination is somewhere.
But you have to look closely when you give the horseshoe away...

[more stuff deleted]

>>3) We've found lots of vials and bottles full of liquid. Are any of these
>>needed. Most killed us. The most important seems to be the bottle of holy
>>water.
>
>The rest you don't need, throw it away.

There is a vial that will help make you even lighter at the bridge, and
there is a bottle called "Goo Gone" or something like that, where the
magic rope is. If you pour this on the slime in the coffin room, the
slime disapears! Of course there are other ways of getting by the slime
(like not openning the coffin).

>Have you played Uninvited, if so, do you know how to cage the bird in
>the cage?

I have to admit I haven't gotten very far at all yet. That's the next game.
Has anyone played Deja Vu or Deja Vu II. If so, are they worth it, and
where can I get a copy of Deja Vu?

>I hope I didn't give away to much, but you don't have to read all the
>clues (but I've finished Shadowgate, so if you need anymore help, just
>write to me.),

Thanks for the help!

>See ya,
>		EDDIE.